Why did you buy your Type-R?

Given your experience with current car, would you buy it again?

• Total voters

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
None of that should do any damage. Rev matching as well as downshifting could be saved for a later time after you are more comfortable.
It’s been an adventure, but for the most part I have finally gotten it down. Stalling is a thing of the past for me, and I don’t instinctively really think about shifting. Plus, it is just fun and really breaks up the monotony of a commute after a day of work (unless there’s tons of traffic in which case...:banghead:)

What I still want to improve on is smoother upshifts in the lower gears, namely 2nd and 3rd and also moving off smoothly. I have found that I may have been too high on the bite point which was causing some of these issues. Low RPM shifting I get more pronounced jerks, and I don’t really understand why - I even try slipping the clutch but it doesn’t feel fully smooth.

As for the damage, I am always paranoid about all of the small jerks I get, but at the end of the day, it’s probably only going to amount to maybe a few thousand or so miles of clutch wear. The clutch is a wear item so I basically just tell myself that it’s designed to take it and I whenever I need to replace it I will replace it. The crunchy shifts always concern me but I don’t think it’s actually grinding.

But yeah, learning to drive on it has been quite a journey. Still lots to improve, but hey, I’m just glad I can drive it relatively smooth.

As long as you are moving without stalling and not flinging yourself forward when shifting then you are doing a good job! :thumbsup:
Man your second and 3rd paragraphs describe me perfectly haha
Sponsored

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
It’s been an adventure, but for the most part I have finally gotten it down. Stalling is a thing of the past for me, and I don’t instinctively really think about shifting. Plus, it is just fun and really breaks up the monotony of a commute after a day of work (unless there’s tons of traffic in which case...:banghead:)

What I still want to improve on is smoother upshifts in the lower gears, namely 2nd and 3rd and also moving off smoothly. I have found that I may have been too high on the bite point which was causing some of these issues. Low RPM shifting I get more pronounced jerks, and I don’t really understand why - I even try slipping the clutch but it doesn’t feel fully smooth.

As for the damage, I am always paranoid about all of the small jerks I get, but at the end of the day, it’s probably only going to amount to maybe a few thousand or so miles of clutch wear. The clutch is a wear item so I basically just tell myself that it’s designed to take it and I whenever I need to replace it I will replace it. The crunchy shifts always concern me but I don’t think it’s actually grinding.

But yeah, learning to drive on it has been quite a journey. Still lots to improve, but hey, I’m just glad I can drive it relatively smooth.

As long as you are moving without stalling and not flinging yourself forward when shifting then you are doing a good job! :thumbsup:
Hey just saw you're from Doylestown! I'm from Eagleville haha, any change I've seen you on or around 76?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey just saw you're from Doylestown! I'm from Eagleville haha, any change I've seen you on or around 76?
Possibly - I don’t frequent 76 but I’ve been around that area multiple times - I know I’ve seen an uptick in Sis recently - also saw a red and blue CTR in the past two weeks - so it’s possible!

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
I was initially shopping for a practical wagon, between the VW Golf Alltrack and Subaru Outback, but had a midlife crisis and went looking at semi-practical hot hatches, the GTI and Golf R in particular. While at the VW dealership, I checked out the cargo space on the Golf and it was a no-go; I could barely fit my son's stroller. The FK8 wasn't on my radar since there was a press embargo on it at the time, but once that was lifted, I saw all the glowing reviews and I decided to check it out. Cargo space was significantly bigger than the Golf. So the combination of mid-life crisis, practicality, performance, and me being a Honda guy are the reasons why I bought my car:rofl:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I bought it because I wanted it. Always wanted a Type R but never had them in the states.

Would I buy it again? Yes but i'm not really 100% sure. I do at times wish i had a N55 M2 instead.

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
Yeah I don't do anything insane and I understand how a manual transmission and rev matching and downshifting and everything works. Basically the worst that is happening is the car bucks a little (like super slight jerk) when starting from neutral to first gear at a stop or downshifting (still getting the hang of rev matching). No crazy bangs or jumps just little jerks.
you're letting go of the clutch too soon and not giving it enough gas therefore it's jerking a little.

Last edited:

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
^^^ DC2 ITR though

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
should've been more clear lol. I meant Civic Type Rs :(
was a fan of the EK and the FD2 CTRs. They were such great cars.

I wouldn't have minded a ITR too though lol. I was still in like middle school when it came out so i definitely wouldn't have been able to afford it lol.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup me too. Couldn’t buy it or drive it

color me gone

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
#27007 in Red checking in.
First Honda I have owned, coming from some other awesome performance cars. Last was a 2018 ZL1 1LE camaro, 2015 Roush Stage 3 Mustang , 2013 Boss 302 Mustang, and other great rides.
Looking to have some fun tracking this one.

Got a great deal @ Cardinal Honda in Groton CT.
900,00 under sticker
Great ride so far only 260 miles on it but no regrets

Thanks Nathan

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would’ve been funny if he put 900,000 not 900,00

bug_slay_R

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CT-R CW
Country flag
I've been jocking the car since... 97-98. Family had Civic hatchbacks, preludes, crx's, integras... and always a fan of vtec. Growing up I could never afford a performance sports car, while all my friends had parents who purchased their wrx, s2000, rx8, ect. I recently had a 2018 Accord Sport in red. Originally wanted the Civic hatchback sport but the wife complained she liked the accord better. Later we settled for the 2018 Accord sport which I had a love hate relationship. The features and space of the Accord are phenomenal. However the girth/ass of the car is so wide it made it difficult to find parking in LA and also it was a magnet for dents. The CVT was wasn't too terrible but the engine drone was annoying. MPG Phenomenal. After servicing the car, the car salesman who sold me the car happen to be around the dealer when I was gawking at the Type R in the showroom. Jokingly I asked for a Championship white one and he said he'd look into one. 1 month passed by and he contacted me and said that one arrived on the East Coast and was in transit for sale in Los Angeles at their dealership... So I pulled the trigger and snagged the car. After my wife saw the Type R for herself, she also grew to like the car and definitely more sporty. In the end I got the hatchback I always wanted and then some.

I also like the Nurburgring related material, TC-R series, and could finally afford to get myself a car that ticks off many of the things I was looking into a hot hatch.
Sponsored