Why did you buy your Type-R?

Given your experience with current car, would you buy it again?

• Total voters

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
TBH no idea lol

Woke up one weekend...was like let me go trade my si in and get a type r lol
Sponsored

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Drove and fell in
Love

2017civicext

R-15474
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2021 CBP Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Yeah I think I would buy it again,

love the ride quality, power and just overall grip. Not to mention how happy it makes me everytime i drive it.

Only complaints are:

1. Lack of heated seats.. (came from a 2017 SI)
2. I feel like i have to be super careful everywhere i take it. (potholes, shady parts of town etc) A simple change in tires should fix the issue with potholes.

Otherwise its a great car. I have put 3000 miles on mine so far.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yeah I think I would buy it again,

love the ride quality, power and just overall grip. Not to mention how happy it makes me everytime i drive it.

Only complaints are:

1. Lack of heated seats.. (came from a 2017 SI)
2. I feel like i have to be super careful everywhere i take it. (potholes, shady parts of town etc) A simple change in tires should fix the issue with potholes.

Otherwise its a great car. I have put 3000 miles on mine so far.
I've actually had the unfortunate event of going over some gnarly pot holes. Granted I normally don't try to speed through them like any sane human, but I haven't dented a rim or blown out a tire yet (currently running Nitto NeoGens 245/30/20).

______

Definitely would buy the car again if found at sticker (again). It's an absolute joy to drive; it's engaging, confidence inspiring, and can easily get you into trouble if you're not watching yourself. Yet, when put into sport mode, responds like any other everyday sedan. It's practical, but can turn sinister at the flick of a switch (or two). My major complaints would be lack of comforts (heated seats/steering wheel, heated mirrors, blind spot, sunglasses holder) and hard plastics within the cabin.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Anomander

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester XT '06, Subaru WRX STI '16
Hi,

it's been almost 10 months since I started the thread. I test drove the Honda eventually - was even able get both cars (STI and Type-R) in the same time and place and drove one immadietaly after another. The STi came on top and I've made ~3500 happy miles since then with the Subie.
My random impressions:
- TypeR looks wicked. Both cars are very rare here where I live, but Type-R draws a lot more attention
- TypeR feels like a regular car when driving slowly in the city. It is very easy to drive, the clutch is very soft, same for steering and suspension.
- It is very, very low to the ground in the front (bumper to ground) - that was a major no-no after I did the measurments. I would not be able to drive into my own garage without taking damage :/
- There is a lot of space inside
- The front seats hold great, but I was not able to find a comfortable position and my back was hurting me after 1h+ drive (I'm 1,91m/6,23ft)
- It didn't feel 'fast' during normal drive. Only after going over 140 km/h I began to smile to myself :)
- Despite warm, sunny weather, the traction control was kicking in when pushing hard during acceleration
- Was disappointed with the stock audio. No CD player. Slowish multimedia.
- Very nice materials and finish inside
- Gearbox is 10/10
- Big trunk

Why I decided to take the STI?
- Had a smile on my face the entire time when driving it. Even going 30mph it felt like something special. The clutch feel is good, the steering feel is great and very heavy, the engine sound is awesome, the rear wing is there in the back mirror.
- Front clearance is 4cm more than in TypeR. This is a very big difference for me, I don't have to worry about the front bumper at all
- The audio (Harman Kardon package) was definitely better than the one in TypeR
- Multimedia response was much quicker (yet simplet)
- Proper handbrake :)
- Had no problems with using all the power - no wheel skidding, burnouts or any drama (exact same weather conditions for both cars)
- It is hard to drive. Even engaging into 1st and starting to move requires a lot of concentration if you don't want to stall the engine or burn the clutch. For me it is an advantage, I like to be involved when driving, even slowly :)

Both cars are great. If I had the money and parking space I would take both of them home. But life is not that great...
The Honda TypeR seems to be more practical car, but the very low clearance and FWD only would mean that I could not drive it everywhere and at any time here where I live :/
Still I encourage everyone to go and try out the TypeR and I keep telling other people how great Honda was when I drove it.
When the time comes to sell the STI and buy another car I will be heading to the Honda dealership as a first place.
There probably won't be any cool Subaru model available at that time... due to the Euro6b regulations Subaru is not offering the STI at all in the entire Europe anymore, and there aro no turbo charged engines at all to choose from (even the Forester)... :(

Thanks to everyone who shared his story!

scottjua

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru STI, 2019 SGP Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi,

it's been almost 10 months since I started the thread. I test drove the Honda eventually - was even able get both cars (STI and Type-R) in the same time and place and drove one immadietaly after another. The STi came on top and I've made ~3500 happy miles since then with the Subie.
My random impressions:
- TypeR looks wicked. Both cars are very rare here where I live, but Type-R draws a lot more attention
- TypeR feels like a regular car when driving slowly in the city. It is very easy to drive, the clutch is very soft, same for steering and suspension.
- It is very, very low to the ground in the front (bumper to ground) - that was a major no-no after I did the measurments. I would not be able to drive into my own garage without taking damage :/
- The front seats hold great, but I was not able to find a comfortable position and my back was hurting me after 1h+ drive (I'm 1,91m/6,23ft)
- It didn't feel 'fast' during normal drive. Only after going over 140 km/h I began to smile to myself :)
- Despite warm, sunny weather, the traction control was kicking in when pushing hard during acceleration
- Gearbox is 10/10
- Big trunk

- Had a smile on my face the entire time when driving it. Even going 30mph it felt like something special. The clutch feel is good, the steering feel is great and very heavy, the engine sound is awesome, the rear wing is there in the back mirror.
- Front clearance is 4cm more than in TypeR. This is a very big difference for me, I don't have to worry about the front bumper at all
- Had no problems with using all the power - no wheel skidding, burnouts or any drama (exact same weather conditions for both cars)
- It is hard to drive. Even engaging into 1st and starting to move requires a lot of concentration if you don't want to stall the engine or burn the clutch. For me it is an advantage, I like to be involved when driving, even slowly :)

Both cars are great. If I had the money and parking space I would take both of them home. But life is not that great...
The Honda TypeR seems to be more practical car, but the very low clearance and FWD only would mean that I could not drive it everywhere and at any time here where I live :/
Still I encourage everyone to go and try out the TypeR and I keep telling other people how great Honda was when I drove it.
When the time comes to sell the STI and buy another car I will be heading to the Honda dealership as a first place.
There probably won't be any cool Subaru model available at that time... due to the Euro6b regulations Subaru is not offering the STI at all in the entire Europe anymore, and there aro no turbo charged engines at all to choose from (even the Forester)... :(

Nice! Congrats on the Subie! We got the Type R after comparing to the 2019 STi, mainly because my wife likes a hatchback. It was a wash for me, I'd be happy with either.

The fact that I also still have my 2006 Sti means, I have the best of both worlds. ^_^

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I had the opportunity to buy mine, even though I really didn't want it, out from.under guys who really wanted it. It is so satisfying driving around in a car I could care less about while guys who would die for it couldn't get it because of me lol...

Joking joking hold the hate messages.

For me I love the car. I was glued to every piece of news about it for years before it even came out. It was a unicorn. I even went to dealer and put 5k down 6 months before they were even sure they were getting one. Day one I was there, bonus I got number 141. I climbed in started car and disappointment... what this sounds less powerful then my Si I just traded. Was a little let down for a second I though wow was it all hype? That first driver was gut wrenching. The dealer was in town lots of lights stop signs and such I honestly felt fooled by marketing. Then I got to the intersate... it was 8 p.m. on a very quite stretch if Tennessee interstate in the mountains. I kicked on highbeams..which themselves lit up everything and were super impressive, punched the gas and..... all doubt melted away and I just wanted to go play with legos again cause this car turned me into a kid again. The best part me laughing with smile ear to ear and my girlfriend looking at me shaking her head like I'm an idiot lol. I had so.much fun I promptly got my first speeding ticket ever the second day I owned it lol. Even the cop turned into kid when he saw it was the funest ticket I ever got.

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
Yes I would def buy the car again.

I bought it because I have owned and built or helped build just about every make and model Honda has ever produced since 1995 and on LOL. My previous builds always used Type R parts and I have always like CTR's over ITR's and now that they decided to bring it to the states it was my chance to have the real deal instead of building cares with a Type R influence.

Good luck with the Subaru, I like WRX's and STI's but when they start to get above 40-50K miles it starts to feel like time is not on your side and something bad is going to happen LOL.... both engines are prone to some type of failure and with the amount of people I see replacing blocks on forums and FB pages it starts to make me paranoid after a bit lol. Luckily I have never experienced any issues with either Subi I have owned but I also didn't build them too much either.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Hi,

My random impressions:
- Gearbox is 10/10
- Big trunk

First, congratulations on the car. STi or Type R, neither is a "bad" choice.

Ground clearance? Specs online say 5" for Type R, 4.9" for the STi. 4 cm is almost 2" - were you looking at a modified Type R? You didn't buy the Type R partially because it didn't have a CD Player? :) No handbrake kind of sucks, but I don't miss it. Left foot braking does the job.

I think that the stomp and steer aspect of the STi makes it easier to drive, but I guess the poor power band makes up for that to make the drive more "engaging."

Just throwing some reasons why I chose the Type R - STi has horrible gas mileage relative to the Type R, poor reliability and it's slower in every measurement except acceleration from a dead stop (for which you'd have to massively abuse the STi transmission for a faster launch) even though it might "feel" faster because it's less refined. Extra maintenance costs as well and AWD is more expensive to run considering tires and future maintenance. The US market also seems to be glutted with STi's - when I was looking, I could find brand new ones from two model years ago still on the lot. My local subie dealer is also a scumbag - I'd have to drive an extra 45 minutes to get to a decent one for warranty work.

I still want a STi for nostalgia and because "rally car", but if I had to choose only 1 it would be the Type R every time. Always ready race car, easy to drive but rewards higher skill, a docile commuter when you want it to be.

tylermmorton

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #1362
Country flag
I saw the Type R Prototype at the Paris motor show and was sold. I'm getting mine wrapped in the same material in a couple of weeks :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Why did you buy your Type-R? _85a6162_honda-civic-type-r-prototype-

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Why did you buy your Type-R? 5TOM2uZa60RHI5nvN-BI-6OvVUfIDj42vsG-3YUBhsuKruouqxXXTUBF5t1vsZNsw8eqDRuaT9sCvde7Jg=w1240-h698-no

Honda Civic 10th gen Why did you buy your Type-R? eLPzZSu4bKZrFFmv5vmQGGJUbgbPKiVDQDnIsKRvZyZsxJzkKWJ3wwzC7cbbICHFT2fbCL1UnmjLt0Upc4w=w450-h799-no

Aside from the objective performance side, not many cars in this price/performance bracket do the usability thing....I work for GM and with the discounts I can probably swing for a SS 1LE or something also but realistically this is just a better single car solution...

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I wanted a few things:

1. Something fun and fast
2. Something liveable as a daily in an area that does get some frequent snow in winter.
3. Something I could raise a kid or 2 with (wife already has station wagon)

The Civic Type R checked all my boxes and was available for MSRP ($35k). The similar priced performance alternatives in the 30's were mostly RWD, and the other hot hatches start in the 40's. Most other performance cars that are both driveable as a daily and not a pain to raise a kid in start in the 50's. Bonus points for being limited and likely to hold value better than most other cars. This is also my third Honda in a row, so there is some brand loyalty there.

It was a no brainer in my situation.

OP
OP

Anomander

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester XT '06, Subaru WRX STI '16
First, congratulations on the car. STi or Type R, neither is a "bad" choice.

Ground clearance? Specs online say 5" for Type R, 4.9" for the STi. 4 cm is almost 2" - were you looking at a modified Type R? You didn't buy the Type R partially because it didn't have a CD Player? :) No handbrake kind of sucks, but I don't miss it. Left foot braking does the job.

I think that the stomp and steer aspect of the STi makes it easier to drive, but I guess the poor power band makes up for that to make the drive more "engaging."

Just throwing some reasons why I chose the Type R - STi has horrible gas mileage relative to the Type R, poor reliability and it's slower in every measurement except acceleration from a dead stop (for which you'd have to massively abuse the STi transmission for a faster launch) even though it might "feel" faster because it's less refined. Extra maintenance costs as well and AWD is more expensive to run considering tires and future maintenance. The US market also seems to be glutted with STi's - when I was looking, I could find brand new ones from two model years ago still on the lot. My local subie dealer is also a scumbag - I'd have to drive an extra 45 minutes to get to a decent one for warranty work.

I still want a STi for nostalgia and because "rally car", but if I had to choose only 1 it would be the Type R every time. Always ready race car, easy to drive but rewards higher skill, a docile commuter when you want it to be.
Specs are right, the lowest point on the STI is 4.9", but my main concern is the front bumper clearance, since I have a very step incline on my way to my underground garage. There are also curbs that I'm concerned about. In this particular point the difference was more than 4 cm. I was comparing to a stock Type-R, howerver it had winter tires and smaller (18") wheels at the time when I tested it. Still, 1/3 of the year we drive on winter tires here...

Here is the pic from the STI fron bumper (not actually mine). The ruler on this picture is 20 cm long:
Honda Civic 10th gen Why did you buy your Type-R? image.thumb.png.b235f1dfa1932a18d8ccac13ba2b2fae

This was (and still is) my main issue... The CD player - well, I don't like the current trends to replace every single mechanical device with electronics (touch screens instead of buttons, electronic handbrake, keyless access, CD replaced by usb only etc). I have a large collections of CD's, and I really enjoy them. I could rip them to mp3, sure, but I was disappointed by the lack of it in Honda. That seems to be a general trend, a lot of other manufacturers also ditched the CD player in their cars

As for maintenance - I'm lucky enough to have a very good local car mechanics that specialize in Subaru's (not the official dealer), also parts availability here is better for STI than Type-R. The insurance was also cheaper :)
The engine in the STI will give up at some point, I'm well aware of that since I already have one ej25 in my Forester XT. However, in worst case scenario, a complete engine rebuilt is ~5k $ (this is the total price of parts and mechanic work here where I live). This, when compared to the amount of $ I will burn in fuel in the meantime, isn't a significant price in the total cost of ownership thruought the 5-7 years ;)

Performance wise - all of the cars I considered were fast enough for me in terms of acceleration, top speed and cornering. 99% of the time I'm driving on public roads, so I'm very far from reaching any limit where a particular car would allow me to actually go faster than I'm already am :) The remaining 1% - I don't care much if some other car is faster or not - I usually try to race with myself - have better lap time than the last one I did and try to learn from the drivers that are better than me. This is the only type of fair comparison that can be done - with yourself from the past :)

voiddweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR (Sold), '04 TSX MT, '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE MT
Country flag
In 2017, I seriously considered a STI and Focus RS before pulling the trigger on a CTR. Drove all three and liked the RS the most except for the interior...the Honda had better quality. Subaru was a close third. What really pushed me to the CTR was reliability and functionality. The hatch is HUGE. No need for a trailer. For a dual purpose car, no regrets. If I had the funds for a dedicated HPDE car, I'd get a 2009+ Cayman S and would probably keep the CTR with 18" wheels as a DD.
Sponsored