why did you buy a civic?

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Headroom !

I'm 5' 10" with a 28" inseam, and sit very tall.

Most cars, when I sit up straight, I touch the head liner. In the Civic, I've got more than an inch clearance.
Sponsored

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bought 1st new Civic in 85. Owned civics and 1 crv since then. Nuff said.
With everybody's stories, I felt I needed to add more. My older brother became a Honda mechanic, stayed at the same dealership for 18yrs, and convinced me to buy one in 85 when I needed a new car. 1500S hatchback lasted 15 years and 265,000mi. before the front frame rusted and broke. Excellent reliability, gas mileage, and very little maintenance, biggest repair was a/c compressor replacement. I saw no need to buy another brand. Imo, civics are more reliable than corollas. Of course I'm biased. Plus, when I saw pics of the EGP concept coupe, I fell in love with the styling and knew I had to have one. Couldn't go for the green though, went with an EXT Ralley Red and have no regrets.

OP
OP
NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
With everybody's stories, I felt I needed to add more. My older brother became a Honda mechanic, stayed at the same dealership for 18yrs, and convinced me to buy one in 85 when I needed a new car. 1500S hatchback lasted 15 years and 265,000mi. before the front frame rusted and broke. Excellent reliability, gas mileage, and very little maintenance, biggest repair was a/c compressor replacement. I saw no need to buy another brand. Imo, civics are more reliable than corollas. Of course I'm biased. Plus, when I saw pics of the EGP concept coupe, I fell in love with the styling and knew I had to have one. Couldn't go for the green though, went with an EXT Ralley Red and have no regrets.
Lunar silver coupe for the win.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lunar silver coupe for the win.
I liked silver cars when I was a kid. Now, everybody drives a silver, gun metal, ect. Wanted something different. And I still catch people checking out my car.

OP
OP
NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
I liked silver cars when I was a kid. Now, everybody drives a silver, gun metal, ect. Wanted something different. And I still catch people checking out my car.
I only saw 3 other silver 10th gens. But the red is very nice. Haven’t seen a coupe version.

dgordon7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - 6MT
Country flag
Reliability, sportiness, resale value, appearance and not least of all fun to drive! This current generation shocked me with how big it is - it's the same size as the older Accords which is more than enough for my needs. A brilliant build; the LX model hit all my priorities and the 2.0 is port injected and has more than enough power, for me :) The manual shift is just tremendous. Love it and hope to keep it a long time.

peterZ

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tradition, since my '86 Civic Si, I have always owned Civic Hatchbacks (1991, 2003). All Si's except for my 2018 Hatchback Sport, which I am loving a lot!

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I had a 2014 Hyundai Elantra coupe it was a good car but it wasn’t exciting. I saw the new civic coupe displayed in a mall in 2016 I liked it I also liked the 9th gen and 8th gen civic coupe too when my Elantra was paid off in 2018 I looked at a Elantra GT sport turbo four door hatch back and test drove it was ok drove by Honda dealership saw a silver civic coupe si . I have a bad knee so a standard is out of the question so I got a ext coupe with a cvt the car handles and performs a lot better than the Elantra GT sport I’m planning to have my civic ext coupe for a very long time

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Coupe. 2018 JL Rubicon. 1988 K5 Blazer
Country flag
I also have a 2018 JL Wrangler and a 1988 K5 Blazer. Both get horrible gas mileage but I love them for other reasons. I just got tired of driving them around Dallas. Seems like I used a quarter tank of gas any time I needed to go somewhere around DFW area. Plus a lifted Jeep is not fun in traffic.
So I started shopping for a sports car. Looked at everything from used R8s to new Mustangs. Kept finding myself saying "I like the car but I'm not a mustang guy" or "vette guy" etc.
Research research research and came across the type R. The first dealer I went to was a real d1ck about the one type R they had. Priced several grand over sticker but advertised msrp online.etc. Finally gave up on buying another car.

Then I noticed a SI Coupe on the road and changed my car search criteria.

Turns out Honda makes a cheap fun to drive coupe that gets 40mpg on the hwy with endless aftermarket! As a jeep guy you know I love aftermarket!
So I saved a ton with a mid-$20k car, getting to learn about the tuner side of life, and am steadily ordering parts.
I still have the other vehicles but I like keeping mileage off them and zipping around in the SI. Gas savings makes it super cheap too. I'm loving it!

Dominus

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring (Black)
Country flag
Headroom !

I'm 5' 10" with a 28" inseam, and sit very tall.

Most cars, when I sit up straight, I touch the head liner. In the Civic, I've got more than an inch clearance.
LOL. I'm 6' 1" with a 30" inseam. I feel your pain. My wife calls me "Torso Man".

Dominus

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring (Black)
Country flag
Brand loyalty. I have had a Civic and 2 Fits. I switched to Subaru for the Crosstrek and wanted something a bit smaller and sportier as opposed to rugged. I found that I never used the Subaru off road as I thought I would, nothing but highway driving.

I looked at a lot of cars. It came down to the ILX and the Civic Touring. The Civic had more features I wanted, better styling (especially since I went with the couple), and it's kind of a down low luxury car compared to the ILX. I'm almost a month into ownership and still really loving the car.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I stayed away from Honda for 16 years because I really didn't enjoy my 2000 Civic Si. This Civic brought me back as it really does look good and as long as I don't take it to the dealer it should run great for many years to come.
Pros: Seats, turbo power, 6-speed, handling, wheels/tires, quiet compared to last car.
Cons: Laggy Infotainment with weak output, weak speakers, weak amp.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd had a couple RSXs and a 9th gen Si. The current 10th gen was better in most every way compared to the 9th gen as a car. Power train-wise I wanted more power than the K24Z7 would give staying NA... and by the time I added a supercharger, I figured I would cover the cost of just going to the 3 year newer car with a reflash since it was already FI, even though it had a tiny motor. So far it's worked out to be a good choice.

I'm not a Honda fan boy per se, and have owned a couple Chevy's, a Cadillac, a slew of Nissans, a Hyundai and a few Ford's... maybe some other that I've slipped my mind, but the Acuras and Honda's have always turned out to be decent cars that I've never really had buyers remorse on, though I was close with the last Civic because I didn't realize how poor the K24Z7 compared to the earlier K20A2 with regard to modding while staying NA.

My next car almost certainly won't be a Honda. Variety is the spice of life and I kind of want another bigger nicer car and a used Caddy will probably be high on that list. As it is though, the Civic will be paid off in a few years and I'm socking $$$ away for retirement until the kids start hitting college age and doubt I'll buy another until, in a perfect world, the oldest takes the current Civic off to school and I need another car to replace it. The Vans near 70k miles, will get another timing belt in 2-3 years and keep on going another 100k miles if I have my way before we offload it.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I am a car guy since I was a baby and a loyal initial D fan......several criteria I want my car to be,

Relatively light
Driving dynamic (steering, suspension and chassis)
Easy maintenance, Decent mpg and reliable
Some power
A look and styling that I like and it will age well
and I want a brand new car or at least not older than 2 years old/30k miles

So it is between Domestic or Japanese

All Euro cars are off the list right away, we owned 3 bmws, 2 mercedes before our Hondas, I want a low maintenance car.
All US cars with mpg I want fell short on other criteria.

It came down to Mazda Miata, 3 and 6, Lexus IS and CT, Toyota FRS, BRZ, Acura ILX, Honda Accord, Civic

Honda beats off everyone else with the styling and design. This was late 2016, the hatchback literally just got off the boat from UK. I was hopping between dealers in the Area and I saw a White Hatchback Sport. I was sold at the spot and didnt even look at other cars. I want a HB sport in Red.

Funny note, In the processing of buying the car, the salesman actually brought up initial D and asked me Am I gonna be takumi?
Sponsored

Last edited: