Why dealers install front license plate...?

AVLien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Dodge Charger 3.5L, '10 Lexus RX350 AWD
Country flag
I live in a state (NC) where having a license plate on the front of a vehicle is not required. My local dealership installs a plate with their logo on the front of every new Honda they sell. But this means unnecessarily punching holes in the bumper of a brand new car. I find this ridiculous. Obviously they want their logo to be seen on the front AND rear of every car that drives away from their lot, since many customers don't seem to mind driving around with dealer logos all over their car even after it's been purchased.

Personally, I like my cars clean and free of logos and stickers everywhere. That's just me. I buy a new car, I immediately remove any dealer sticker, badge, or tag. I've already given them my money. I'm not going to advertise for them and clutter my vehicle at the same time. But if I want to purchase a car from this dealer does this mean I'll either have to get them to order one and specifically ask them not to install a front tag, or remove the front tag and plug the holes with an aftermarket product?

Kind of annoying IYAM.
Sponsored

Temesvar

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Si
Country flag
I live in a state (NC) where having a license plate on the front of a vehicle is not required. My local dealership installs a plate with their logo on the front of every new Honda they sell. But this means unnecessarily punching holes in the bumper of a brand new car. I find this ridiculous. Obviously they want their logo to be seen on the front AND rear of every car that drives away from their lot, since many customers don't seem to mind driving around with dealer logos all over their car even after it's been purchased.

Personally, I like my cars clean and free of logos and stickers everywhere. That's just me. I buy a new car, I immediately remove any dealer sticker, badge, or tag. I've already given them my money. I'm not going to advertise for them and clutter my vehicle at the same time. But if I want to purchase a car from this dealer does this mean I'll either have to get them to order one and specifically ask them not to install a front tag, or remove the front tag and plug the holes with an aftermarket product?

Kind of annoying IYAM.
Very few states require no front plates, and most of the world has them. See nothing wrong with that. If you don't like the dealers logo, change it with something that reflect you: a flag, an eagle or plain and simple, a word.

OP
OP

AVLien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very few states require no front plates, and most of the world has them. See nothing wrong with that. If you don't like the dealers logo, change it with something that reflect you: a flag, an eagle or plain and simple, a word.
Certainly an easy solution, and if I absolutely had no choice I'd put a tag of my favorite sports team on there and be done with it. I'm also aware of bumper plugs which aren't so detectable and a good option for this situation. I just prefer the front end of the car to be clean and look as it came from the factory, which would push me to buy a Civic from the dealership an hour away since they don't install a tag on the front.

I just don't understand taking a brand new $25,000 car and punching holes in the bumper in a state where a front tag isn't required.

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag

What about the holes ?

Put plug ? :banghead:

Drew03

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t honestly know how you would get around this. I happen to get lucky and game the system most of the time. I live in Missouri where the front plate is 100% requirement. So every car sold in MO will have holes drilled in the bumper and that drives me crazy. Kansas on the other hand does not require a front plate to be legal. So it’s up the each individual dealer I believe. I’ve had luck and now gone 3-3 at 3 different dealers with my newest purchases getting the vehicle with no drilled front plate holes. All from the Kansas side!

My only sort of suggestion is this. If the dealer is hellbent on you leaving their lot with their signage. Maybe try and play them a little. By that I mean tell them the exact car you want and say “Please don’t drill front license plate holes. I will provide you with a towhook plate holder that you can place my front (their logo) license plate in.”

Now we just gotta hope your car was delivered from overseas because most of those will have a front towhook that is usually used for getting on and coming off the giant shipping container tanker that crosses the ocean.

Here are some pics of what I’m referring to. Pretty cheap like 20-30 dollar solution. I know the last one is of a back bumper but I wanted you to know what the little square I was talking about looked like.
Honda Civic 10th gen Why dealers install front license plate...? B26FFE13-84AF-4399-A38C-5E86D0E21934
Honda Civic 10th gen Why dealers install front license plate...? AE9C375A-BAB1-45F0-B2E5-8AE4BD951938
Honda Civic 10th gen Why dealers install front license plate...? 9500549D-B7E9-49D2-AC0D-44D4326CA62E
Honda Civic 10th gen Why dealers install front license plate...? 7A591C52-7907-4994-B04D-3B35EEAA5481

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Find a different dealer or ask this one to find you a car that hasn't been drilled. If they care about selling you a car then they'll find you what you want.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Wait. Why can’t you instruct this dealership to not install a front plate? This makes no sense to me. The state doesn’t require a front plate, yet these assholes place a plate for dealer advertising? Just instruct them on the sales contract no front plate, no drilling holes during PDI. It’s your car, not theirs

OP
OP

AVLien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wait. Why can’t you instruct this dealership to not install a front plate? This makes no sense to me. The state doesn’t require a front plate, yet these assholes place a plate for dealer advertising? Just instruct them on the sales contract no front plate, no drilling holes during PDI. It’s your car, not theirs
Of course I would do this, or I would buy from a different dealership. My question is why they insist on doing it in the first place. I guess most people aren't as particular as me (or don't even realize they have a choice in the matter), because I see Hondas with those tags driving all over my area.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Of course I would do this, or I would buy from a different dealership. My question is why they insist on doing it in the first place. I guess most people aren't as particular as me (or don't even realize they have a choice in the matter), because I see Hondas with those tags driving all over my area.
I think you answered your own question in your original post. It is free advertising. And as @Captaindicki mentioned above, the solution is to include it into the sales contract.

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
I'm in Florida and my dealer just gave me the front plate and screws in case I want to put them on.
No punch holes in front, plain and clean.

B0nez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si Coupe | '08 FJ Cruiser | '05 Jeep LJ
Country flag
I agree 100% with the OP. I was so adamant about not getting the front plate holes drilled I had them put it in writing that if they delivered the car to me with the holes drilled I would be walking away from the vehicle and expect a full refund of the deposit I put down when I ordered the car.
I also made it clear that the same deal would apply if I saw any stickers, badges, etc on the vehicle advertising their dealership. I told them if they really wanted me to advertise for them I would be willing to discuss a monthly advertising fee that they could pay in installments. They declined :)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It looks like it's not "very few" but 19 states.
I don't need those front plate holders, but I have them. I treat them as a bumper cover protection. The civicx is actually my first car to have removed all dealership logos including sticker lettering. On my 2009 CR-V I still have the dealership tag in front and letters glued on the back. Also dealership license plate frame in the back. Never bothered to mess with these things.

because not everybody only drives in their own state
You need to follow the rules of the state of registration on this, not whatever state you are traveling through.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Our state has front plates but some people don't put them on. My neighbor had a Corvette for several years & never had a front plate. When I bought my other car the dealer said they don't install the front bracket on performance models until they discuss it with the buyer. He said I probably wouldn't get hassled if I got stopped unless I was a young kid or trouble maker, or words to that affect. Obviously there's some risk there.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I live in Texas where a front plate is required. My car had no plate holder on the front when I bought it. I actually had to ask them to install the plate holder for me when my permanent plates came in. My car had no holes in the front and if I wouldn’t have asked, they wouldn’t have done it. Because it’s the owners choice if you want it or not. The way they see it is if you want to risk getting a ticket then that’s your call. They are not supposed to do that unless you ask them to. This picture shows my front bumper the day I bought my car. As you can see there is no holes or plate holder.
Honda Civic 10th gen Why dealers install front license plate...? 0F9F0B68-B445-44D3-9E31-D66997EF54B4

Honda Civic 10th gen Why dealers install front license plate...? 1F00AA3C-24F7-449A-9F4A-165BD7A88070