Why aren't anyone making +60 or stock offset wheels?

TypeARR

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Did the wheels come in yet? I'm curious to see how they look and how's the driving experience wise on them. I also have a blue Type R and thought about getting gold rims for the classic WRX look haha.
Not yet bro, my guess is another 2 or 3 weeks. The wait is killing me that's for sure.
Sponsored

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
APEX RIMS only company that makes 18x9.5 with a true +60 offset I know cause I got the +43 and was thinking about the 60 but I wanted the offset for wider stance and flush look

OP
OP

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
APEX RIMS only company that makes 18x9.5 with a true +60 offset I know cause I got the +43 and was thinking about the 60 but I wanted the offset for wider stance and flush look
link? I only see +58 and i don't think those bbs mesh wheels look all that great on the FK8.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Afaik no one has done a test fit with the +58 rims from Apex. Apex themselves refuse to cooperate when our members have asked to try them. It's a frustrating situation.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Afaik no one has done a test fit with the +58 rims from Apex. Apex themselves refuse to cooperate when our members have asked to try them. It's a frustrating situation.
Sorry you are right +58 I assure there’s more tha 15mm room from front spoke to the caliper and as long as you don’t stupid on the tire size it will fit.
No bigger than 265/35/18
It’s tight but it would fit. Just have to watch strut
I will say this the Michelin pilot sport 4s’s I bought were way wider than some other manufacturers.
I went up 1 inch in rim diameter rim but only 20mm in tire size which is 0.787 inches and they hang over the outside. Go to tire rack and look at actual tire width in specs you’ll see there’s up to a full inch difference between manufacturers

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Well I’ll take pictures later of the tightest portion and see and strut spacing to try and help out

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Ok here is the verdict unless apex does something drastically different the spokes will not I repeat will NOT clear on the +58 offset. It’s way too close now on +43. Sorry folks I didn’t notice the middle inside closest to the studs the caliper was soo close.
So unless there is really at least half and inch difference towards the inside of the spokes I’d steer clear.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
BC Forged will make +60mm in some of their patterns. But they are more than double the price of Apex wheels.
Sorry you are right +58 I assure there’s more tha 15mm room from front spoke to the caliper and as long as you don’t stupid on the tire size it will fit.
No bigger than 265/35/18
It’s tight but it would fit. Just have to watch strut
I will say this the Michelin pilot sport 4s’s I bought were way wider than some other manufacturers.
I went up 1 inch in rim diameter rim but only 20mm in tire size which is 0.787 inches and they hang over the outside. Go to tire rack and look at actual tire width in specs you’ll see there’s up to a full inch difference between manufacturers
I put my car on a lift and looked, strut clearance is not an issue. It looks like to me the first clearance problem would be at the rear control arm. Search my posts and you can find a more detailed answer I gave a couple of months ago.

265s with an offset of +55-60mm should easily clear inside and out. BC did a CTR with 10.0 wheels, +55mm offset and 295s and have zero clearance issues:
https://www.bcforged-na.com/project/davids-fk8-honda-civic-type-r-19x10-0-rz05/

So a 275-285 on a 9.5"/55-60mm wheel should be no problem. That is what I am going to do.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
BC Forged will make +60mm in some of their patterns. But they are more than double the price of Apex wheels.

I put my car on a lift and looked, strut clearance is not an issue. It looks like to me the first clearance problem would be at the rear control arm. Search my posts and you can find a more detailed answer I gave a couple of months ago.

265s with an offset of +55-60mm should easily clear inside and out. BC did a CTR with 10.0 wheels, +55mm offset and 295s and have zero clearance issues:
https://www.bcforged-na.com/project/davids-fk8-honda-civic-type-r-19x10-0-rz05/

So a 275-285 on a 9.5"/55-60mm wheel should be no problem. That is what I am going to do.
So I talked to apex strut clearances are an issue when you add tire on. but if for some reason you wanted to run them cause you had custom suspension or adding just enough spacer to fit.
Here’s my best solution +43 does NOT exaggerate the torque steer. Maybe when there’s a crown in the road it’s more obvious but wider tires will always do that. The special c shaped knuckle and special geometry handle torque steer. If you go wider wheel you have to go out further. If I put it this way a wider wheel adds 12mm (aka1/2inch) inside and outside edge
Et43 +12mm = et55 is where the new inside edge is. It’s really only 5mm further out than stock position there and yes it’s further out. There are. few that make rims in stock offset but from what I’ve seen they cost much more.
As far as those 19x10 I fight really hard to believe when you do the math 295 won’t fit period. Somebody did some rear fender cutting. Guys on 285 are having rubbing issues. There’s no listed offset to your link also

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
So I talked to apex strut clearances are an issue when you add tire on. but if for some reason you wanted to run them cause you had custom suspension or adding just enough spacer to fit.
If that is what Apex really told you, then you should stop dealing with them right now because they have no clue what the fuck they are talking about. They are assuming that the CTR is like every other car, limited by the clearance at the front strut. But they have never actually checked to see if they in fact know what they are talking about. They don't.

You obviously didn't go read my post about how much clearance a stock CTR has for tires/wheels. I will make it easy for you, Post #1841. A quick summary, I passed 3/4" bar between the OEM tire/wheel and the front strut. Once again, strut clearance is not the limitation. https://www.civicx.com/threads/civic-type-r-after-market-wheel-guide.13994/page-123#post-577053

Here’s my best solution +43 does NOT exaggerate the torque steer. Maybe when there’s a crown in the road it’s more obvious but wider tires will always do that. The special c shaped knuckle and special geometry handle torque steer.
That is a solution, but probably not he best one out there. If you add offset, you will add torque steer. It is physics, you can't get around it. Plenty of people are doing it and are OK with it. But this thread is very specifically about CTR wheels with stock offsets.

If you go wider wheel you have to go out further. If I put it this way a wider wheel adds 12mm (aka1/2inch) inside and outside edge Et43 +12mm = et55 is where the new inside edge is. It’s really only 5mm further out than stock position there and yes it’s further out. There are.
All this math is correct, but it is based on an incorrect assumption. You are assuming that there is little to no room to move the wheel inwards. This is incorrect, and when you realize that this is incorrect, you will figure out why all of this math is a misguided solution directed at a non-existent problem.

few that make rims in stock offset but from what I’ve seen they cost much more.
Nobody said the solution was cheap, just that it exists. The best equipment is rarely also the easiest on the wallet.

As far as those 19x10 I fight really hard to believe when you do the math 295 won’t fit period.
Don't know what to tell, you, the pictures of the car are right there to see yourself. You can read the size on the tires, and you can tell how wide the wheels are by the pics. There is tons of talk about this car. It first appeared here in Post #1742, and the discussion continues off and on for several pages. Here in Post #1782 he has pics of the wheels and suspension, clearly showing at least 3mm of clearance on the front strut, and even more on the rear. These pics also show totally stock OEM suspension, nothing aftermarket.

Somebody did some rear fender cutting. Guys on 285 are having rubbing issues.
The dudes doing fender cutting with 285s have wheels with 35-45mm offsets. Move the wheel back in to 55mm like this car and, like magic, no more rubbing or cutting. A 10.0 with +55mm places the outside of the wheel more than 3mm farther away from the fender than even a 9.5 +45mm.

There’s no listed offset to your link also
Post #1748

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Thanks for the info. That settles it then, there are still a big fat zero affordable options for a stock offset wheel (<$2k) TWO years after the initial release of the CTR.

Ok here is the verdict unless apex does something drastically different the spokes will not I repeat will NOT clear on the +58 offset. It’s way too close now on +43. Sorry folks I didn’t notice the middle inside closest to the studs the caliper was soo close.
So unless there is really at least half and inch difference towards the inside of the spokes I’d steer clear.

LansocK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ CTR, 15’ STI
Country flag
As far as those 19x10 I fight really hard to believe when you do the math 295 won’t fit period. Somebody did some rear fender cutting. Guys on 285 are having rubbing issues. There’s no listed offset to your link also
It fit and had no rubbing. No fender cutting or trimming involved.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the info. That settles it then, there are still a big fat zero affordable options for a stock offset wheel (<$2k) TWO years after the initial release of the CTR.
And there doesn't appear to be much chance it will ever happen. Wheel makers say they won't sell.

You can get 19x8.5 +53mm Motegis from TireRack for right at $1k a set. That is the closest you are going to find.

Or FK2 wheels, they are under $2k.

markhu

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2010 Subaru Legacy
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen aluminum wheel spacers on the shelf at Pep Boys. Presumably they come in various thicknesses. Would that be a solution to this problem?
Sponsored