Who's using 5w/30 in their Si??

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Going to try 5/30 for my 1st oil change. It is an option in the printed manual if 0/20 in not available and we all know that the 0/20 if for the fuel economy ratings not better protection, especially in the turbo. Wanted to try Shell Helix Ultra that's used in F1 but not readily available here in the states and after a little research, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is Shell Helix Ultra just branded for the US market, so that's what I'm gonna go with and see. $32shipped for 5 qt jug. Anyone else going the 5/30 route?
Sponsored

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Going to try 5/30 for my 1st oil change. It is an option in the printed manual if 0/20 in not available and we all know that the 0/20 if for the fuel economy ratings not better protection, especially in the turbo. Wanted to try Shell Helix Ultra that's used in F1 but not readily available here in the states and after a little research, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is Shell Helix Ultra just branded for the US market, so that's what I'm gonna go with and see. $32shipped for 5 qt jug. Anyone else going the 5/30 route?
For my first change, I used Honda Full Synthetic 5W30, oil seems to dilute just as fast as what was in there from the factory. Seems the more you mod, the worse the dilution imo, going to be ordering AMSoil 0W20 SS Full Synthetic and doing my second change around 50% per the minder.

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
For my first change, I used Honda Full Synthetic 5W30, oil seems to dilute just as fast as what was in there from the factory. Seems the more you mod, the worse the dilution imo, going to be ordering AMSoil 0W20 SS Full Synthetic and doing my second change around 50% per the minder.
I may try Amsoil SS at some point but I don't go over 5000 miles on any oil and it was $68 for 4 quarts and their filter vs $40 for 5 quarts and matching filter on the Ultra. If your not pushing a long oil change interval it seems like expensive overkill. I've used SS in the past but for the ultra and what it is factory fill on it.s more than adequate for a civic.

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may try Amsoil SS at some point but I don't go over 5000 miles on any oil and it was $68 for 4 quarts and their filter vs $40 for 5 quarts and matching filter on the Ultra. If your not pushing a long oil change interval it seems like expensive overkill. I've used SS in the past but for the ultra and what it is factory fill on it.s more than adequate for a civic.
Agreed, but if you're actually concerned enough to post about it, then I assumed you wouldn't bark order $20-$30 difference VS quality, and would also follow the various oil threads. AMS SS Synthetic is by large margins thee best as far as oil dilution, breakdown and protection is concerned, and I understand everyone has a professional opinion when it comes to "selection" just like to constant intake battles, lmao. For reference, I've been changing mine at 5k intervals after the first change.

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh, also forgot to mention that they have an additive that combats build-up and protects from using higher Ethanol levels, which is big for me as well, I run about a %35-38% E mix currently.

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
I know OEM factory fill fluids are mainly minimum requirements but when I checked what manufactures use ultra as factory fill I had no reservations about using it. SS is great oil but I'm sure this will not damage my engine and short OCI's will limit any fuel dilution which is a much bigger concern leaving the oil in long term. As long as we are all happy with our choices that's all that matters. As far as price I could care less, If I could get the oil that Bugatti uses in their Chiron I would but you can't LOL. but I'm happy using what Ferrari uses.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can find Penz Plat but never Ultra Plat. I emailed their customer service line and they gave me some local dealers but I have the feeling it is going to cost me. From their marketing, the difference between Plat and Ultra Plat is more/better cleaning agents in Ultra. I would prefer to run "The Best" in my civic but until they start retailing Ultra, I guess I am stuck on a second tier:(

Do you have a link for the 5qt/$32?

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
I can find Penz Plat but never Ultra Plat. I emailed their customer service line and they gave me some local dealers but I have the feeling it is going to cost me. From their marketing, the difference between Plat and Ultra Plat is more/better cleaning agents in Ultra. I would prefer to run "The Best" in my civic but until they start retailing Ultra, I guess I am stuck on a second tier:(

Do you have a link for the 5qt/$32?
Amazon primehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M266FWZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well it's 80 here now, don't need 0 again and 5 still flows to -20, fine in winter too unless your in the arctic
Just saying there's probably a lot of pertinent info over there... I'd not run conventional 5w-30, as that's an option in that viscosity, and if the price is the same... I'd not choose a 5w oil over a 0w oil, as other than the so-minor-its-negliable fuel economy boost that might be claimed during warmup, there may be some benefit of less wear on a better flowing oil when the engine is coming up to operating temperature. Conventional 5w-30 *sure* won't flow like synthetic 5w-30 cold.

BITOG has beat this one to death. There was some evidence that not all 5w oils are as good as 0w oils. I'm not going to run and find links... but I'd throw oil questions or at least lurk for info over there.

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Just saying there's probably a lot of pertinent info over there... I'd not run conventional 5w-30, as that's an option in that viscosity, and if the price is the same... I'd not choose a 5w oil over a 0w oil, as other than the so-minor-its-negliable fuel economy boost that might be claimed during warmup, there may be some benefit of less wear on a better flowing oil when the engine is coming up to operating temperature. Conventional 5w-30 *sure* won't flow like synthetic 5w-30 cold.

BITOG has beat this one to death. There was some evidence that not all 5w oils are as good as 0w oils. I'm not going to run and find links... but I'd throw oil questions or at least lurk for info over there.
Yup, been looking there for a while. All the 0 weight oils were developed for the "cafe" fuel efficiency gov't requirements not for better wear capabilities. https://www.nhtsa.gov/laws-regulations/corporate-average-fuel-economy

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Like I said, as long as we are all happy with our choices is all that matters. All I originally asked was if anyone else was using this weight or brand.......so far I guess not.......these are not Ferrari's but I don't mind using Ferrari oil in my civic and could care less about fuel economy...lol

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup, been looking there for a while. All the 0 weight oils were developed for the "cafe" fuel efficiency gov't requirements not for better wear capabilities. https://www.nhtsa.gov/laws-regulations/corporate-average-fuel-economy
Yep. And they flow better cold. Most engine wear happens when it starts cold. That's why I'd tend to err with a 0w. If you want thicker overall grade oil... so be it.

Again... the main thing I was providing was an established thread that talked about 0w-30... which I figured might have some pertainent data. The main thing is wanting to go up to a 30 weight oil. In a synthetic, the 0w to 5w is pretty minor... though it'll make a much bigger difference in a conventional when cold.

I leave it to you. I have no interest in getting in an oil debate... as that subject holds little interest to me. I can tool around BITOG until my eyes bleed if I want to torture myself. :thumbsup:
Sponsored