Who Uses 93 Octane?

R3Dz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Country flag
Can I use 103oct? from sunoco.. or do I need tune? Civic Si 2017
Check your manual it should say what grades are good for your car If it isn't mentioned then it's most likely wasted unless you get a tune for it. Octane does not = power but resistance to detonation
Sponsored

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Can I use 103oct? from sunoco.. or do I need tune? Civic Si 2017
Is that leaded or unleaded? Youd have little benefit at all if that was unleaded fuel on a stock car.. IF youre tuned on that fuel then thats another story.. and its an entirely different one if its leaded fuel and youd have to be catless to use that.

R3Dz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Country flag
Is that leaded or unleaded? Youd have little benefit at all if that was unleaded fuel on a stock car.. IF youre tuned on that fuel then thats another story.. and its an entirely different one if its leaded fuel and youd have to be catless to use that.
provided his car's ecu can identify and use the higher octane XD

unico214

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2017
thank you for your help forgive the Ignorance I am new with the Honda

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
provided his car's ecu can identify and use the higher octane XD
There is a noticeable difference between 87 and 91 octane in my Hatchback. I asked my wife to fill up without me knowing the grade and I can tell right away.
Mild throttle is day and night.

Last edited:

R3Dz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Country flag
There is a noticeable difference betweem 87 and 91 octane in my Hatchback. I asked my wife to fill up without me knowing the grade and I can tell right away.
Mild throttle is day and night.
what do you drive

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No. Must be all in the ECU I guess. Detecting knock and reducing timing with the lower grade.
Wonder what is the HP/Torque difference compared to the Sport model when on 91 octane.

R3Dz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Country flag
No. Must be all in the ECU I guess. Detecting knock and reducing timing with the lower grade.
Wonder what is the HP/Torque difference compared to the Sport model when on 91 octane.
the manual states 87 for your model and 91 for those with sport mode. then you can factor the quality at the pump but over all you shouldn't see a difference in the real world with a ecu that can't use 91

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the manual states 87 for your model and 91 for those with sport mode. then you can factor the quality at the pump but over all you shouldn't see a difference in the real world with a ecu that can't use 91
Hmm, it doesn't say anywhere it can't use 91. It certainly does and it's noticeable.
87 is listed as recommended because for most people looking for entry level transportation the inability of using lowest grade of fuel would just scratch the particular vehicle from their list.
As I said response it's day and night at mild throttle inputs. Not huge but clear.
I've noticed it the first time when switching from 87 to 91. I also noticed the drop from 91 to 89 in a few minutes of driving, even if I came after driving my other car exclusively for a few days prior to that.
Have not tried going from 87 to 89 and I doubt there will be a noticeable difference.

R3Dz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Country flag
Hmm, it doesn't say anywhere it can't use 91. It certainly does and it's noticeable.
87 is listed as recommended because for most people looking for entry level transportation the inability of using lowest grade of fuel would just scratch the particular vehicle from their list.
As I said response it's day and night at mild throttle inputs. Not huge but clear.
I've noticed it the first time when switching from 87 to 91. I also noticed the drop from 91 to 89 in a few minutes of driving, even if I came after driving my other car exclusively for a few days prior to that.
Have not tried going from 87 to 89 and I doubt there will be a noticeable difference.
you can notice all you want, if your ecu doesn't advance timing to take advantage of the increased resistance to detonation of the 91(which is the sole advantage of the 91 over 87) then there is no change

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Off course it advances the timing, otherwise there would be no change in response.
There are many cars that change the timing according to the grade of fuel, even if not advertised by the manufacturer. Nothing new here, just a nice surprise in an economy vehicle.

R3Dz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Country flag
Off course it advances the timing, otherwise there would be no change in response.
There are many cars that change the timing according to the grade of fuel, even if not advertised by the manufacturer. Nothing new here, just a nice surprise in an economy vehicle.
I don't think it's that surprising. There are times when you get a bad batch of fuel and the octane is lower so this helps prevent damage from that. I'm sure there are some here who've filled up and found their car drove kinda funny afterwards I know I have. This is just one of the pros of newer engines XD.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think it's that surprising. There are times when you get a bad batch of fuel and the octane is lower so this helps prevent damage from that. I'm sure there are some here who've filled up and found their car drove kinda funny afterwards I know I have. This is just one of the pros of newer engines XD.
I'm happy with this.
I knew all cars have to retard timing with bad fuel or lower grade than recommended but didn't know if the hatch will react with increasing the octane.
I think the slow revving nature of the engine plus the turbo lag make the differences in response more noticeable.
I seriously doubt I'd notice such minor change in my other car since the engine revs very fast and the supercharger has no lag. Small changes in response would be harder to spot, I'm guessing.
Sponsored