Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I check new tuning posts it's always Ktuner Ktuner Ktuner. Other than me who stills uses Flashpro? Seems like Ktuner rules at CivicX.
Sponsored

Cyoda

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Tundra CrewMax
Country flag
I follow the Hondata tuner platform. Always interested! :)

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I have my flashpro working better now thanks to ktuner responding to my simple questions. If I could rewind time I'd have gone ktuner. Which sucks to say cause i was a hondata guy thoroughly until this experience.

Still thinking about switching because of the great product support from ktuner. Even for someone who didn't spend money with them. Amazing!

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Right now, I think it's just because of the price and readily available tunes. For me personally, I've used Hondata in a couple of my vehicles with zero issues. However, the price for the KTuner combined with the packaged TSP Stage 1 tune when ordered from @Two Step Performance is why I went with it. Also, their support is great.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
My Flashpro is currently sitting in it's box. Ktuner offers what I feel is a better product. I'm not ready to sell my Hondata since I have multiple friends and family with 10th gen Civic's who can use it. If I was to sell it, I'd like to see it go to a friend at a discounted rate instead of dealing with finding someone on the forum to ship it to and deal with paypal fees.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag
I have hondata with tsp stage 1 tune and love it and also like the app on my headunit no regrets at all

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Right now, I think it's just because of the price and readily available tunes. For me personally, I've used Hondata in a couple of my vehicles with zero issues. However, the price for the KTuner combined with the packaged TSP Stage 1 tune when ordered from @Two Step Performance is why I went with it. Also, their support is great.
I bought the Hondata version of the TSP Stage 1 tune, and it failed to hit the expected boost levels. While sending datalogs to Derek he suggested that the tune was essentially ported over from the Ktuner and that it would require some additional dialing in. Since the TSP Stage 1 tune was designed for the Ktuner, I decided to buy the ktuner v1.2 from TSP.

The learning curve of changing from the Hondata desktop app to the Ktuner desktop app, and also getting the Tunerview app to work on my headunit was a little less than smooth. But I figured it out eventually. Needed to download the latest Ktuner beta and update the device, followed by changing the bluetooth setting to not need a pin. The Hondata app for the head unit is lousy when compared to the Tunerview Lite app offered by Ktuner. Hondata recently updated their app for the head unit, and they removed the MPG feature. The MPG feature was horribly inaccurate on the previous version, and also redundant since the car can already report that info both on the infotainment screen as well as the dash screen. But the new version simply removed the MPG reporting for Hondata, instead of them fixing it. That was a pretty lousy solution.

A few versions ago Hondata added "scramble" which greatly increases the rate at which boost builds. Initially it was able to be toggled with the a steering wheel button while cruise control is turned off. This essentially let the car feel like it had 4 driving modes. Normal and Sport as well as Normal with scramble and Sport with scramble. In a following update to the software THEY REMOVED THAT ABILITY. NO WARNING WAS GIVEN. I UPDATED THE HONDATA AND LOST A FEATURE. I called them on the phone about it, and posted on the forums (both here on civicx and on their hondata support forum). No reply was ever provided by Hondata as to why this feature was changed. On the phone they just said "this is how it works from now on.". That rubbed me the wrong way, and from that moment on I knew I would soon be picking up a ktuner. When TSP announced their Stage 1 tune was included free with Ktuner, but also available for Hondata - I bought it for Hondata(as mentioned above) but the experience was lacking due to the inability to swap between 3 maps with Hondata as can be done with Ktuner. So that pushed me over the edge to changing over to Ktuner.

I'll tag @Hondata and @Hondata_Support here one last time. While I know this is not their official support forum, we all know they are definitely following this forum.

$0.02

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag
Guess I got lucky and have had no problems. Also I don't need the 3 maps as valet map is not needed for me I know this is useful for some but not me I'd never use map 1.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Guess I got lucky and have had no problems. Also I don't need the 3 maps as valet map is not needed for me I know this is useful for some but not me I'd never use map 1.
Never had a friend ask "what was it like stock?" I like being able to demonstrate 3 different boost profiles. I generally drive around on map 2 and change to map 3 as desired. On the fly switching is a very nice feature to have available.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought my flashpro second hand a year ago and have been very happy with it. I don’t think switching over to ktuner is worth it. If I was buying right now though I probably would get ktuner just because of the non stop updates for all civic models.

Since the si came out the base models have gotten no love and some very great si features are not available for the base and probably won’t be. I’m still happy with it and don’t see the point of making the switch as of right now. Still looking forward to see what Hondata has planned for us base guys.

TonyG-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I run Hondata Flashpro, and have had no issues besides the Bluetooth being unable to connect to the head unit, but that is not Hondata’s fault from what I understand. Hondata has been around for a long time and I have used it in all of my builds. I don’t have a need for running 3 maps simultaneously, and I feel that the support is sufficient. When I initially wrote to them about the Bluetooth issue, it took less than 10 mins for a response.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
To clarify the issue is not with the hondata product. It is EXTREMELY well put together. The issue that I have seen and felt is the COMPLETE disconnect from the community. I get that they are busy and get bombarded with redundant silly questions but some of us want to know how to use the product at a deeper depth and to flatout ignore (for the most part) the self tuners who definitely know what they are doing when they have simple questions is uncalled for.

I have had wonderful success completely writing my own custom map with street tuning and constant comparison between data streams of all my guess and checks that I had to do because I couldnt get any answers from them. Their wording is wrong or misleading in a couple places within their faq files and I could not get a response to clarify.

Until Ktuner and 360glitch (sorry if I forget anyone) stepped up for them to help me in some of my posting!!!

Cant thank them enough!!!!

This problem I could see not being relevant to 95% of the buyers of this unit. Most will set a map and forget it and never have questions to dig in to.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every time I check new tuning posts it's always Ktuner Ktuner Ktuner. Other than me who stills uses Flashpro? Seems like Ktuner rules at CivicX.
CivicX is heavy into KTuner, that is true. I recently switched myself. I wouldn't have, but when I got the TSP tune for Hondata it was just always "on," normal and sport. I don't much care about on-the-fly switching, but I just wanted to be able to have something less than 24.5psi all the time. I got the v1.2 with a 15% eBay coupon and sold the FlashPro. I like KTuner so far. I mostly like the TSP tune and I haven't run any basemaps so I can't even speak to that. I don't think KTuner is magic, I don't think Hondata is garbage. The Hondata hardware is solid and it gives you the ability to flash an ECU. It works well, I never had a problem. The first time I flashed with KTuner I did end up in recovery for the first time ever, which is mostly just my own dumb fault, but just saying. I also bought my FlashPro second hand and wasn't into it for $700 so it was easier to cut bait. And I didn't buy a CARB so .... . I'd say it is good that we have two options.

I don't know man, I'd just say piss or get off the pot. Maybe the strategy here is to try and goad Hondata into doing what you want, but if you are so unhappy then just move on to something else.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan