Drew36

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have found only a few things about this, has anyone raised there RPM limit on the stock internals of the engine of there 1.5T to 7000RPM? If so what are the mods of your car and how long have you been running it like that? Will this make the car unreliable? Is it preferred to to raise the limit on cars with bigger upgraded turbos for daily use?
Sponsored

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
In order to do so correctly, you need a background limit lifted above 6,900rpm, otherwise the exhaust cam will snap to 0deg advance.

OP
OP
Drew36

Drew36

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
In order to do so correctly, you need a background limit lifted above 6,900rpm, otherwise the exhaust cam will snap to 0deg advance.
Thank you, have you done this to any 10th gens yet? If so do you know if it would be reliable to drive on if done correctly?

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Yes, I routinely raised the rev limit on cars with larger turbochargers that can actually make use of a 7,000+rpm rev limit.

There is absolutely no point in raising the limiter on a stock turbo setup.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Yes, I routinely raised the rev limit on cars with larger turbochargers that can actually make use of a 7,000+rpm rev limit.

There is absolutely no point in raising the limiter on a stock turbo setup.
From a purely mechanical standpoint, are you aware of a recommended max RPM that these engines can safely hit? (and yes I understand why it's pointless on the stock turbo, just curious)

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
Country flag
i did a pull in 1st the other day and accidentally hit the limiter on my 11th gen Si. tach was at 7k...guess the limiter kicks in above redline

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
i did a pull in 1st the other day and accidentally hit the limiter on my 11th gen Si. tach was at 7k...guess the limiter kicks in above redline
if you mechanically over rev your engine by going in a lower gear too fast, there's nothing your computer can do to limit the rpm of the engine. Just be happy you caught it early.

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
Country flag
if you mechanically over rev your engine by going in a lower gear too fast, there's nothing your computer can do to limit the rpm of the engine. Just be happy you caught it early.
i did a pull in 1st gear and hit the rev limiter. looked down and i swear i saw it pegged at 7k. thought it redlined at 6600 rpm which is why i thought it was strange. i was in 1st gear the entire time so no possibility of mechanical over-rev by downshifting.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I know you posted this numerous times here over the past couple days. Bouncing off the rev limiter and hitting nearly 7,000 rpm is no biggie. You'll be fine. Try and relax.

Redacted

First Name
Schmeckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
i did a pull in 1st gear and hit the rev limiter. looked down and i swear i saw it pegged at 7k. thought it redlined at 6600 rpm which is why i thought it was strange. i was in 1st gear the entire time so no possibility of mechanical over-rev by downshifting.
tyoicslly the fuel cutoff is 500 rpm beyond redline, that’s how it was in my 07 si, except I had that k20 rev to 9000 and was still smooth as glsss.! Miss that...edit** misread post above about over revving. Don’t do the money shift as what he’s referring to.**
Anyway, my 10th gen is full bolt except I still need to install my 27won FMIC and waiting for the W2’turbo to arrive and then I’ll call it good. Don’t think I’d really want to raise the rev limiter, it’s my daily and don’t see any benefit. Maybe when I retire it as my daily and switch to E85..
I have the ktuner v2 with the stage 1+(DEFINITELY GET THE 1+ when ya got the parts, it’s butter) and it appears the redline is showing 7100-7200 on ktuner, but I’m pretty sure that’s actually the fuel cutoff as 7100 would be th 500 beyond. Hell I’ll go try it once this snow melts and log it with the ktuner.

Last edited:

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
yeah just 7k is no issues. First gear also goes very fast so there is a good chance that you'll go past your normal rev limit just from how fast the engine is accelerating. It all has to stop accelerating after the computer cuts off fuel and if it's doing so at full throttle chances are you'll go over. Kind of the same thing as swinging a baseball bat and trying to stop it at a certain point in your swing, the harder you swing the harder it is to stop at the same place.

Hope this makes sense.

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
Country flag
noticed my oil smells like gas now. is it true the honda uses a synthetic blend? The dealership used Valvoline synthetic at my last oil change.
Sponsored