First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
Let me guess...sounds like this???

I request & advise each of you to try to capture your experience like this as well. Hit & miss on some phones.

Also PLEASE, to have a case you MUST make sure they give you a printed write up of the diagnostics and services performed when you take your Civic in for this to be fixed. Make sure they state what they found.

They tried every time to give me the keys without doing this. I even had to wait an extra hour for them to type up their report. Gave me some story about having to close the ticket and start a new one to access it. Don't accept that.

Make them admit in writing to hearing the sound if they tell you verbally!! It's a clear design default and it seems nobody has received a fix yet.
Sponsored

Jules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring (Hatchback/Manual)
Thanks for all the posts.
My civic also have the same whistling sound from the air con while accelerating. I have recorded the video on my mobile.
I have written a complaint to Honda Europe. I will show my car to the dealer tomorrow and will post the updates here. I definitely feels more like a resonating sound.

YZ490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatch, 2012 Honda Civic, 1984 Toyota LC
I have this same noise as well. I'm not sure when I started noticing it, but it was within the first couple months of warranty. I didn't think much of it, but I did start to get concerned that maybe it was related to the CVT or the turbo. So I tested a few things and finally discovered when I turn the fan off the noise goes away. (Same thing all of you noticed.) I can't remember if I could still hear it with the fan on and AC compressor off or only when the AC compressor was running though. It definitely seems to change frequency with the engine speed though. So I guess it makes sense that it would be compressor related.

I didn't realize it was a common issue until I read this thread today. I have 58k miles on my Civic Hatchback already so I'm out of warranty. Maybe if someone here finds an easy and cheap solution I will fix it. Otherwise, I'll probably just have to live with it, along with my steering wheel not being at 12 o'clock. First world problems though I guess.

Edit: just came across this other thread that mentions the a/c expansion valve as the root cause. At least that is what one Honda Dealership replaced and I presume the problem went away for the guy.

A/C whistle sound from the back of the dash board

Last edited:

Felix2017

First Name
Connie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
Country flag
This didnt fix it. They are going to keep my car for at least another day.
Were they able to fix the A/C noise problem? There are a couple of other threads discussing this—nothing conclusive yet. My dealership has said they are going to replace my compressor (next Monday) and I’d like to give them as much info as I can.

woods1103

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport CVT
Were they able to fix the A/C noise problem? There are a couple of other threads discussing this—nothing conclusive yet. My dealership has said they are going to replace my compressor (next Monday) and I’d like to give them as much info as I can.
I got my car back Tuesday evening and wanted to drive a couple days before posting. The issue isnt completely resolved but it is MUCH better. I dont hear the whistling at all in normal drive mode now. In sport, at lower speeds I'm still hearing it a little bit but its much more faint and it's not audible if the radio is on. Since I still have a while for my warranty I'm not rushing it back there but I'll probably mention it again when I go in for service next time.

All they ended up doing was replacing the ac compressor and recharge the AC. They did all of this the first day and kept my car for 6 days.

The rest of the time my car was there the techs were working with the Honda tech line(i guess a call in support number). From what I asked and what's on the service receipt they didnt do anything further.

Edit, just found this post. Service bulletin might be the fix for this.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/ac-whistle-noise-2000-2700-rpm-the-answer.35052/

Last edited:

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
I got my car back Tuesday evening and wanted to drive a couple days before posting. The issue isnt completely resolved but it is MUCH better. I dont hear the whistling at all in normal drive mode now. In sport, at lower speeds I'm still hearing it a little bit but its much more faint and it's not audible if the radio is on. Since I still have a while for my warranty I'm not rushing it back there but I'll probably mention it again when I go in for service next time.

All they ended up doing was replacing the ac compressor and recharge the AC. They did all of this the first day and kept my car for 6 days.

The rest of the time my car was there the techs were working with the Honda tech line(i guess a call in support number). From what I asked and what's on the service receipt they didnt do anything further.

Do you know what they've done to fix your problem?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

Problem is -- that Service Bulletin does not seem to have been released in the USA, so no USA Dealer is able to find it or get a copy.

It is a released SB in Europe, so maybe only the Dealers in Europe have access to it.

I have tried asking quite a few people in Europe who have had this issue, to get a copy of the SB, but so far, no luck.
All I have so far is a PIcture of the top part of the 1st page .

Honda Civic 10th gen Whistle sound Service-Bulletion-ST-09-001-01

stoobs

First Name
Stoo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK Honda Civic Prestige CVT 2018
Country flag
This is definitely resolved by the replacement part being fitted (under warranty) by Honda as per the Service Bulletin. I had the exact same noise, and since my local Honda fitted this part it's been annoying-anger-inducing whistle free driving! :)

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
Problem is -- that Service Bulletin does not seem to have been released in the USA, so no USA Dealer is able to find it or get a copy.

It is a released SB in Europe, so maybe only the Dealers in Europe have access to it.

I have tried asking quite a few people in Europe who have had this issue, to get a copy of the SB, but so far, no luck.

Service-Bulletion-ST-09-001-01.jpg
This appears to be the answer!!?

If at all possible, can you PLEASE scan and send a clean copy of that Service Bulletin here or my email which I'll give you in a PM??

Why the US has been left out of this Bulletin is negligence and caused a hell of a lot of frustrated Civic owners for quite a while!! Further - this bulletin says they won't even be fixing this in new cars coming off the line until August 2019!! Wow - that's crappy.

Last edited:

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
If at all possible, can you PLEASE scan and send a clean copy of that Service Bulletin here or my email which I'll give you in a PM??
o_O

I would like to think that if anyone had the full service bulletin they would share it rather than keep it hush hush in private emails and PMs... there is no reason to hide this information.
Sponsored