darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Hi all,

So, I usually drive with the music up and what not, but a couple days ago I had everything off and I noticed any time I apply the brakes when I am almost stopped I hear a sound similar to the sound you make if you blow air out of your mouth silently. That's the only way to describe it. I only hear it when applying the brakes.

The car only has 12k miles on it , doesn't seem like it would need brake replacement yet. I don't drive like a Nascar racer.

Am I just being paranoid?

After discovering I had a blocked air intake vent in my apartment that was making the heating vents from the furnace whistle I guess I am a bit gun shy of noises.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid and it is just the sound it makes when brakes are applied and I just don't usually hear it? It doesn't sound like its coming from all 4 tires. Front driver side if I had to guess.

Thoughts???

Thanks
Sponsored

demonslayer

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hi all,

So, I usually drive with the music up and what not, but a couple days ago I had everything off and I noticed any time I apply the brakes when I am almost stopped I hear a sound similar to the sound you make if you blow air out of your mouth silently. That's the only way to describe it. I only hear it when applying the brakes.

The car only has 12k miles on it , doesn't seem like it would need brake replacement yet. I don't drive like a Nascar racer.

Am I just being paranoid?

After discovering I had a blocked air intake vent in my apartment that was making the heating vents from the furnace whistle I guess I am a bit gun shy of noises.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid and it is just the sound it makes when brakes are applied and I just don't usually hear it? It doesn't sound like its coming from all 4 tires. Front driver side if I had to guess.

Thoughts???

Thanks
Cold?

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Usually happens to me when it's humid out or it rained and there's a thick layer of rust on the rotors.

Is the whispering starting to resemble contorted human speech, like, "kill...hsssss....killl....."?

OP
OP
darkness975

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Usually happens to me when it's humid out or it rained and there's a thick layer of rust on the rotors.
Well it's March in the north , how humid can it be? But maybe that's it.

Came here to ask something similar. You sure you're not schizophrenic, OP?
None of us believe so, but we're not 100% sure.

Reactions: Boz

BigDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe, '01 Silverado
Country flag
I get that noise from the rear brakes. When it's been slushy out (no rain yet to test) and I get to work I put on the parking break for the day. At the end of the work day when I get back into my car it sounds like the rotors have rusted a little and I hear a noise from the back when I hit the breaks... it's definitely a rusty rotor sound... it doesn't last more than a couple of braking sessions on the way home and then it stops.

OP
OP
darkness975

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I get that noise from the rear brakes. When it's been slushy out (no rain yet to test) and I get to work I put on the parking break for the day. At the end of the work day when I get back into my car it sounds like the rotors have rusted a little and I hear a noise from the back when I hit the breaks... it's definitely a rusty rotor sound... it doesn't last more than a couple of braking sessions on the way home and then it stops.
The reason for my inquiry is because it doesn't seem to be stopping despite many braking sessions.

OP
OP
darkness975

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Maybe it's the pad dragging on the disc.
Is that something that needs immediate attention or can it wait until the next oil change kind of thing?

Yesterday it seemed to vary in intensity at least for some of the time.

I didn't want to call it a grinding sound as it wasn't really like a stark grinding sound. Maybe it is and it just sounds like "whispering" because it's not high intensity. I don't know.

12k miles seems a bit early to already have brake issues though.

Last edited:

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine has always made this noise. I'm just used to driving noisy cars that make lots of weird noises, so I passed it off as some sort of normal brake noise

aiyapk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Wild guess. It’s the AC clutch or something related to AC. Try turning off the AC (or climate system) and see if the car still makes the noise.

My car makes this noise when braking as well.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Check with your service advisor. Might just be as simple as a slightly corroded brake pad fit.

Is that something that needs immediate attention or can it wait until the next oil change kind of thing?

Yesterday it seemed to vary in intensity at least for some of the time.

I didn't want to call it a grinding sound as it wasn't really like a stark grinding sound. Maybe it is and it just sounds like "whispering" because it's not high intensity. I don't know.

12k miles seems a bit early to already have brake issues though.

OP
OP
darkness975

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Wild guess. It’s the AC clutch or something related to AC. Try turning off the AC (or climate system) and see if the car still makes the noise.

I don't hear it unless the heat/ac is off

@BrianDevin I'm getting to that point as well

@CivicXI hopefully not.

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

It's a different noise than the A/C doing its thing. More of a hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh than the A/C whirrrrrrrrr
Sponsored