Which down pipe did you go with?

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
On paper that may sound better but based on the dyno results it doesn't seem to make a difference. The RV6 netted the larger gain. This is catless, but i assume the catted will be similar. I say just choose the one you like the most and you'll be happy with either.

RV6 http://www.rv6-p.com/products/typeR/rv6-downpipe-dyno.jpg

PRL http://prlmotorsports.com/images/products/detail/CTRDownpipeTesting.jpg
Dyno numbers are pretty much useless in this comparison. I am not saying one is better than the other. I just feel that in terms of flow, PRL has a superior design, and in terms of quality RV6 is superior. Honestly if RV6 had a pre-order sale, I might have gone with them just because for their quality.
Sponsored

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Dyno numbers are pretty much useless in this comparison. I am not saying one is better than the other. I just feel that in terms of flow, PRL has a superior design, and in terms of quality RV6 is superior. Honestly if RV6 had a pre-order sale, I might have gone with them just because for their quality.
In the end it's all subjective, no worries. They did have a presale actually, $50 off with a promocode that is in the RV6 downpipe thread. Might still be good. So you could get the catless for $350 including the defouler. :thumbsup:

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Went with RV6. PRL makes an excellent product..but there are 2 reasons I went with RV6. (this is the CATLESS version)
  • Pricing - the base pricing is roughly the same (with PRL being slightly more expensive), but RV6 comes with a defouler..whereas it is a $125 option with PRL
  • Construction - RV6's heatshield mount points are structured into the actual piece, whereas you need to use longer bolts and spacers with PRL.
I am sure both products will be fantastic pieces, but just the above is what swayed me to RV6.
Thanks for the kind words and consideration guys! We noticed a few misleading comments that we wanted to clear up, though! :)

Our downpipe DOES come standard with a 90 degree spacer/defouler as pictured.
Honda Civic 10th gen Which down pipe did you go with? CTRDPWithHardware_zps6gvk1sjr

The $125 add-on "Fabspeed O2 Spacer with Catalytic Converter" is for an optional 90 degree CATTED defouler for anyone looking to try to really keep CELS off with the catless version. Clicking on this option pops up a thumbnail picture of the what you'll receive.
Honda Civic 10th gen Which down pipe did you go with? Catted_O2_Spacers_Detail_1_web__01071.1461074549.500.664_zpshayikp8o

Honda Civic 10th gen Which down pipe did you go with? Catted_O2_Spacers_Detail_2_web_zpsovhggvri

Nonetheless, RV6 makes an excellent product as well, I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice! :thumbsup:

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the kind words and consideration guys! We noticed a few misleading comments that we wanted to clear up, though! :)

Our downpipe DOES come standard with a 90 degree spacer/defouler as pictured.
Honda Civic 10th gen Which down pipe did you go with? CTRDPWithHardware_zps6gvk1sjr

The $125 add-on "Fabspeed O2 Spacer with Catalytic Converter" is for an optional 90 degree CATTED defouler for anyone looking to try to really keep CELS off with the catless version. Clicking on this option pops up a thumbnail picture of the what you'll receive.
Honda Civic 10th gen Which down pipe did you go with? Catted_O2_Spacers_Detail_1_web__01071.1461074549.500.664_zpshayikp8o

Honda Civic 10th gen Which down pipe did you go with? Catted_O2_Spacers_Detail_2_web_zpsovhggvri

Nonetheless, RV6 makes an excellent product as well, I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice! :thumbsup:
Thanks for clearing this up! I assumed, like im sure others have, that the add on prospeed one was a regular defouler (should have read further)...didn't realize that it came with a standard one. Either way great product and i was really on the fence choosing which downpipe lol.

Just a suggestion...but i would add that it comes with a standard one in your description as well since stupid me didn't really read past there like i should have. I just saw your add on one drop down box and figured that was the only one.

First batch of downpipes to begin shipping July 9th

Offroad Use Only

Testing has shown that a downpipe upgrade is one of the most effective modifications to perform when looking to increase power out of Honda's 2.0L turbo engine.

Our Civic Type-R downpipe is constructed of 304 stainless investment cast openings with smooth transitions from the 3.75" opening, to the 3.5" body and 3.0" outlet for optimal flow and fitment while retaining all factory heat shields. All pieces are fully back-purged. Pair this with our 3" Front Pipe piece for optimal exhaust flow and performance! Choose between catless or 300 CEL cat.

All kits will include gaskets, stainless hardware, O2 Extension/Non Fouler and components needed for a seamless installation.

Though we have had luck with our Fabspeed O2 defouler, we CANNOT guarantee that the high-flow cat will keep CELs off unless users turn it off via KTuner or Hondata.

16+ hp gains & 6 ft/lb tq gains!

Downpipe Includes:

• Gasket
  • Stainless Hardware
  • O2 Extension

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Thanks for clearing this up! I assumed, like im sure others have, that the add on prospeed one was a regular defouler (should have read further)...didn't realize that it came with a standard one. Either way great product and i was really on the fence choosing which downpipe lol.

Just a suggestion...but i would add that it comes with a standard one in your description as well since stupid me didn't really read past there like i should have. I just saw your add on one drop down box and figured that was the only one.

First batch of downpipes to begin shipping July 9th

Offroad Use Only

Testing has shown that a downpipe upgrade is one of the most effective modifications to perform when looking to increase power out of Honda's 2.0L turbo engine.

Our Civic Type-R downpipe is constructed of 304 stainless investment cast openings with smooth transitions from the 3.75" opening, to the 3.5" body and 3.0" outlet for optimal flow and fitment while retaining all factory heat shields. All pieces are fully back-purged. Pair this with our 3" Front Pipe piece for optimal exhaust flow and performance! Choose between catless or 300 CEL cat.

All kits will include gaskets, stainless hardware, O2 Extension/Non Fouler and components needed for a seamless installation.

Though we have had luck with our Fabspeed O2 defouler, we CANNOT guarantee that the high-flow cat will keep CELs off unless users turn it off via KTuner or Hondata.

16+ hp gains & 6 ft/lb tq gains!

Downpipe Includes:

• Gasket
  • Stainless Hardware
  • O2 Extension
It's all good! :)

Suggestion noted, I just updated the description!

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 HPD CR-Z - 2005 CBR1000RR - 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
The catleas Sequence Dp/fp has suprisingly little fumes. The sound is an excellent refined grumble, very sporty but also tame. Turbo whistle is pleasant and overall more aggressive... Not to mention incredible gains.

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The catleas Sequence Dp/fp has suprisingly little fumes. The sound is an excellent refined grumble, very sporty but also tame. Turbo whistle is pleasant and overall more aggressive... Not to mention incredible gains.
I assume you are one of the test mules for this? Since little to no information has been released from Joe in months.

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 HPD CR-Z - 2005 CBR1000RR - 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I assume you are one of the test mules for this? Since little to no information has been released from Joe in months.
Mule indeed. I know its frusting to keep hearing "almost there" but i spoke to him 2 days ago and hes almost there.

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mule indeed. I know its frusting to keep hearing "almost there" but i spoke to him 2 days ago and hes almost there.
Yeah i just couldn't wait any longer and the lack of any type of regular updates on the exhaust or DP/FP just got to me. I've been speaking to him since August 2017 about the exhaust and talked specifically about the DP/FP in November 2017. Don't get me wrong he's a great guy...but he needs to either spend more time marketing or have someone else do it. We haven't even seen prototype pics of the DP/FP...i mean that's just ridiculous. How do you get a customer excited about a product if you don't share any info about it whatsoever. He doesn't even have a website yet to my knowledge. I wish him well, but i've moved on.

OP
OP
Perrin67_97

Perrin67_97

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Sorry for the long absence from civicx.com.. life interrupted. Hehe Thanks to all of yall for your input. Getting ready to do my FP and DP soon.. all this feed back is amazing and much appreciated. Will update everyone with who I decide to go go with my current build of Hondata tuned and PRL intercooler.

xGreyWorm

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Went with RV6 downpipe/frontpipe as well and I don’t get any fumes into the cabin. And initial start up is only time I notice a fuse coming from the exhaust if you are standing back there but just in start up. RV6 and PRL products are both very well build and solid products. Whichever you choose you can’t go wrong.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
did you go with the catless? Any CEL? Do you have Hondata/KTuner?

Went with RV6 downpipe/frontpipe as well and I don’t get any fumes into the cabin. And initial start up is only time I notice a fuse coming from the exhaust if you are standing back there but just in start up. RV6 and PRL products are both very well build and solid products. Whichever you choose you can’t go wrong.

xGreyWorm

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
did you go with the catless? Any CEL? Do you have Hondata/KTuner?
I did go catless and I do have hondata. But I didn’t upload a new tune until I put my frontpipe on and never got a CEL until I put my frontpipe on but I drove it really hard that day. But put a new tune and everything good. Love hondata/ktuner it’s a must.

xGreyWorm

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The CEL I got wasn’t from O2 sensor though it was for emissions and rev matching.
Sponsored