Which brand intake and why?

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
So based on what I have gained from reading the different threads the air intakes available for the CTR are from Injen, Venturi, Mishimoto, and AFE.

PLR seems to be dragging their feet but has one in the works.

I am a pure noob, just got my CTR and would like to understand the differences between the different available ones available and why you prefer one over the rest.

Some things I care about...

#1 - sound (specially turbo blow off)
2- ease of install and uninstall in case I need to slap back the OEM one when taking back to dealer for any repairs under warranty
3- cost
4- avoid check engine light
5- better or equal power to stock intake

Please elaborate as much as you can as I would like to make my decision based on the responses to this thread as will other members that want to see everyones feedback on one post.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Congratulations on your find!....these cars are very hard to get at a reasonable price for sure.

I have the AFE/Takeda CAI installed:

1.Not as loud as the Injen from what I have read here, but definitely a louder and more present pop-off sound than stock
2.I installed mine in 1 hour, and I am pretty slow. I'm sure others probably accomplished it in quicker time. My stock CAI is completely intact (including OEM tie straps) and I could pop it back in at any time.
3. I did not really compare costs between various CAI's. I went by the universal rave reviews of the AFE, and the fact that no one I read about had experienced a CEL (check engine light), as a result of installing it.
4.per above. Have not had this occur. I'm not sure if anyone has with just a simple CAI replacement. I have been putting aftermarket CAI's on my cars and trucks for years and have never once gotten a CEL as a result of doing it.
5.I can't say that I can tell via seat-of-the-pants if there is a noticeable increase in power. I bought the AFE primarily for looks and sound. I know other folks here install a new CAI as part of other upgrades (new tune, downpipe, etc) and the whole package most definitely increases HP. I'm not sure if anyone here has done a dyno run with only a CAI replacement to check for a true at-the-wheels increase in HP.

It definitely SOUNDS faster with that great pop-off sound :)

Also, I got the dry filter option with my AFE, not the oil lubricated one. I don't mind paying $65 every few years for another dry filter to avoid dealing with oiling a filter element. There are obviously opinions going the other way, just explaining why I went with this option.

I ordered mine from the great folks at procivic.com

Good luck!

OP
OP

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Congratulations on your find!....these cars are very hard to get at a reasonable price for sure.

I have the AFE/Takeda CAI installed:

1.Not as loud as the Injen from what I have read here, but definitely a louder and more present pop-off sound than stock
2.I installed mine in 1 hour, and I am pretty slow. I'm sure others probably accomplished it in quicker time. My stock CAI is completely intact (including OEM tie straps) and I could pop it back in at any time.
3. I did not really compare costs between various CAI's. I went by the universal rave reviews of the AFE, and the fact that no one I read about had experienced a CEL (check engine light), as a result of installing it.
4.per above. Have not had this occur. I'm not sure if anyone has with just a simple CAI replacement. I have been putting aftermarket CAI's on my cars and trucks for years and have never once gotten a CEL as a result of doing it.
5.I can't say that I can tell via seat-of-the-pants if there is a noticeable increase in power. I bought the AFE primarily for looks and sound. I know other folks here install a new CAI as part of other upgrades (new tune, downpipe, etc) and the whole package most definitely increases HP. I'm not sure if anyone here has done a dyno run with only a CAI replacement to check for a true at-the-wheels increase in HP.

It definitely SOUNDS faster with that great pop-off sound :)

Also, I got the dry filter option with my AFE, not the oil lubricated one. I don't mind paying $65 every few years for another dry filter to avoid dealing with oiling a filter element. There are obviously opinions going the other way, just explaining why I went with this option.

I ordered mine from the great folks at procivic.com

Good luck!
Thank you for your elaborate and thoughtful reply. I did some further reading on the forum after I posted this yesterday and decided to go with the AFE CAI.

Thankfully you replied because I just noticed that I accidentally ordered the version that has to be lubricated with oil when I meant to order the dry filter. Just emailed AFE and hopefully they will catch it in time before they ship my order.

Thanks again for your help. Can’t wait to install it.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Thank you for your elaborate and thoughtful reply. I did some further reading on the forum after I posted this yesterday and decided to go with the AFE CAI.

Thankfully you replied because I just noticed that I accidentally ordered the version that has to be lubricated with oil when I meant to order the dry filter. Just emailed AFE and hopefully they will catch it in time before they ship my order.

Thanks again for your help. Can’t wait to install it.
Excellent. Just a heads up. sounds like you ordered directly from AFE. Be aware that several of us have been bitten ordering direct from them I ordered my CAI from them, waited a week, saw and heard nothing, then called them. On backorder for 4-6 weeks, but it showed IN STOCK when I ordered it. I canceled the order and went to one of their distributors (included them in my last post). There was another member here who ordered their exhaust. They kept promising week after week that they would have it in stock, and he finally canceled the order and got something else.

Might be worth a call to those folks tomorrow and confirm everything. AFE makes great stuff, and the folks I dealt with were very nice, but their fulfillment is not so great in mine and other's experiences......

OP
OP

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks a bunch for that heads up. I spoke to them this morning and Terry at their store confirmed he had it in stock and have me the number to the online ordering dept which changed my order to the dry filter version, credited back the $15 shipping charge since they told me that ground would put it here in 4 days any way ($15 was for 3 day delivery).

With the 10% discount for signing up to their email promos, I paid $368 out the door which is better than all the other prices I found online.

Looking forward to installing this weekend.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't go for Injen or AEM....the both suck in hot air and positioned the same IMO.

I went with aFe:

1 - sound: Noticeably louder than stock. You get hear that sound you're wanting
2- Installed it in 30 min and could easy revert to stock
3- Cost me 379 from Kamispeed
4- Zero Check Engine Light
5- Quality feels the same as stock

I'd like to add I have no install issues that I'm seeing...as in, nothing is touching any hoses, etc...unlike some Mishimotor ones I noticed.

Also, I know eventuri looks nice, but for the cost, why they stock with the stock/factory piping is beyond me.

So IMO, go aFe, or just get PRL intake tube with their filter...best power/cost ratio than any intake out there.

rockymtntypeR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Don't go for Injen or AEM....the both suck in hot air and positioned the same IMO.

I went with aFe:

1 - sound: Noticeably louder than stock. You get hear that sound you're wanting
2- Installed it in 30 min and could easy revert to stock
3- Cost me 379 from Kamispeed
4- Zero Check Engine Light
5- Quality feels the same as stock

I'd like to add I have no install issues that I'm seeing...as in, nothing is touching any hoses, etc...unlike some Mishimotor ones I noticed.

Also, I know eventuri looks nice, but for the cost, why they stock with the stock/factory piping is beyond me.

So IMO, go aFe, or just get PRL intake tube with their filter...best power/cost ratio than any intake out there.
Or a third option is you could do PRL intake tube with the Eventuri intake this is the route I’m gonna go if I can find some that has them in stock

Last edited:

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Or a third option is you could do PRL intake with the Eventuri intake this is the route I’m gonna go if I can find some that has them in stock
This was actually the idea I was contemplating on doing. However I decided to wait until next spring to make a decision. Since want to wait to see how PRL's cold air intake turns out.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or a third option is you could do PRL intake with the Eventuri intake this is the route I’m gonna go if I can find some that has them in stock
seems kinda nuts though...for 1400 bucks and all that "R&D" they did...they didn't think of replacing that part.

I know PRL said it would fit, guess they tested it already? But form the pics, it looked like it might get cramped? From what I could see on eventuri, after that hard plastic piece coming from the intake manifold...there's that flex part that is replaced by the eventuri one...looked shorter than stock...so I'd assume the PRL one will be just a tad too long?

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
I wouldn't say that we are "dragging our feet," but we have definitely delayed the release of a possible cold air intake system for multiple reasons. The factory air box and ducting works rather well, so it has been extremely difficult to develop an intake system that notably outperforms the factory intake, especially when paired with our Stage 1 kit. We have tossed around a few ideas, but don't wish to offer an inferior product or a product that requires extensive modification for install as we feel this is not a great selling point. Our goal always has been and always will be to offer high-quality products that perform and are easy to install. With that being said, we are extremely satisfied with the performance and value of our simple Stage 1 intake system upgrade. The Stage 1 kit provides similar (or better) gains than most intake systems on the market while maintaining the efficiency of the factory air box. We currently have an extremely innovative prototype intake product on our car that we will be releasing details on VERY shortly once all testing has finished. Let's just say that we feel this will be a game-changer for the CTR market and all tests have been going well thus far. ;)

rockymtntypeR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
seems kinda nuts though...for 1400 bucks and all that "R&D" they did...they didn't think of replacing that part.

I know PRL said it would fit, guess they tested it already? But form the pics, it looked like it might get cramped? From what I could see on eventuri, after that hard plastic piece coming from the intake manifold...there's that flex part that is replaced by the eventuri one...looked shorter than stock...so I'd assume the PRL one will be just a tad too long?
Well we will find out very soon if it works or not, I just ordered the Eventuri intake today should have it next Tuesday and I preordered the PRL stage one intake tube weeks ago so as soon as I have them both I’ll be attempting to make it work with both parts. I still can’t believe I sent that much for an intake but I wanted to try and be the first to pull this off. We will see if I’m successful hopefully by the end of next week

rockymtntypeR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
i'll wait until more companies starts making intakes before dropping that amount.
You know I was in the same boat for months but the more I thought about it I just said screw it and bought the Eventuri, you only live once and I’ve been waiting on this car since I was 17, and I’m now 38 and finally have it. NO REGRETS!

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
You know I was in the same boat for months but the more I thought about it I just said screw it and bought the Eventuri, you only live once and I’ve been waiting on this car since I was 17, and I’m now 38 and finally have it. NO REGRETS!
yeah i feel you. I have the afe intake right now which will satisfy me until another option comes around lol.
Sponsored