Which amp/sub setup do you guys recommend?

Soamazen23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX EX
Country flag
So I’ve decided to upgrade the sound system in 2016 Ex and I am currently researching whats the best way to go about it. Im planning on keeping the oem HU. But I am open to upgrading factory speakers (only if I have too, would rather not. I have several questions that hopefully you guys can answer:

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RW...226085&s=gateway&sprefix=rockville+sub&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Storm-...6428&s=gateway&sprefix=sound+storm+sub&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-S...556226483&s=gateway&sprefix=pioneer+lo&sr=8-1

Which of these three would any of you recommend? And do any of you guys own any of these?

The first two have the amp built into the sub. The last one amp is seperate.

Also,

What else would I need for install aside from what comes in a wiring kit?

If any tapping into any connector at the HU is required. Do they sell those special connector kits so you wont tap into oem wiring harness?

Im planning for a low profile sub/amp install underneath the seats and also would like to modify oem equipment as little as possible.

Anything would help.

Thanks guys!!!!
Sponsored

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
The first two are powered subs with the amp integrated. There have been several people that have used them, mounting them under the passenger seat. The Pioneer is not powered, and will need a separate amplifier. It's probably the best sounding of the group, but it have to go in the the trunk of hatch area.

OP
OP
Soamazen23

Soamazen23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX EX
Country flag
The first two are powered subs with the amp integrated. There have been several people that have used them, mounting them under the passenger seat. The Pioneer is not powered, and will need a separate amplifier. It's probably the best sounding of the group, but it have to go in the the trunk of hatch area.
Both the sub and the amp would have to go in the trunk for the third one?

Bru87tr

I considered all those, but because JL Audio had such rave reviews, I took a shot and glad I did. They are more money, but are killer for how small they are. This wont go under the seat (close but no cigar) though and you would need something more considerable to put in the trunk if you want to hear it.

Good thing about it is that it is quick release and remove it.

http://www.jlaudio.com/acp108lg-w3v3-car-audio-microsub-amplified-subwoofer-systems-93330

Those first two you will be very unhappy with. I would be surprised if you could even hear the Pioneer in the trunk.

I added a Audiocontrol LOC and tapped off the rear speakers. Replaced all 4 speakers with RF and added a Rockford Fosgate 150 amp for the rear speakers. Sounds really good and kept the stock HU.

Its really easy to do. Tap off rear speakers to LOC, RCA from LOC to amp and RCA from LOC to sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Soamazen23

Soamazen23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX EX
Country flag
I considered all those, but because JL Audio had such rave reviews, I took a shot and glad I did. They are more money, but are killer for how small they are. This wont go under the seat (close but no cigar) though and you would need something more considerable to put in the trunk if you want to hear it.

Good thing about it is that it is quick release and remove it.

http://www.jlaudio.com/acp108lg-w3v3-car-audio-microsub-amplified-subwoofer-systems-93330

Those first two you will be very unhappy with. I would be surprised if you could even hear the Pioneer in the trunk.

I added a Audiocontrol LOC and tapped off the rear speakers. Replaced all 4 speakers with RF and added a Rockford Fosgate 150 amp for the rear speakers. Sounds really good and kept the stock HU.

Its really easy to do. Tap off rear speakers to LOC, RCA from LOC to amp and RCA from LOC to sub.

Where did you end up putting the sub? Also was that the four speakers on the doors that you repleced? Not sure how many speakers my trim has in total. Furthermore whats the size of the speakers? Do you have links on the additional equipment so I can read up on them?

Honestly idc about pricing I just want something that sounds good. This will be my first install and im planning to keep this car for a long time so i want to do it correctly.

Thanks man

Bru87tr

My sub is on the passenger rear floor. I take it out every night, it unplugs in seconds. I know for a fact I would be very unhappy if it was in the trunk as it is small. I would still hear it, but not as well. But it blows away any of those other options.

I personally dont like the Rockford Fosgate speakers I bought, next time going with silk dome tweeters on my next replacements. Though the RF blow away the stock speakers. But I was looking to get out of those cheap. Once they break in they sounded better.

I have a low trim, so its a basic HU with no amp. You couldnt even hear the rear speakers (they also distorted easy but the fronts did not) and is why I added an amp to only the rear speakers as the fronts are close and have enough power to hear fine. They match fine with the level the rear RF amp is putting out to the rear speakers now.

Replaced speakers in front door, really easy. Replaced speakers in rear deck (4 door) and a bit more work as you have to take out the rear seat and trim. Not that hard if you watch on youtube first so you know what your doing.

Already linked the sub, here is the rest I installed. If your replacing the speakers go with something a little better. For one I never liked 3 way and I would put something with a silk dome tweeter. I will eventually go with JL 2 ways with silk dome. I didnt spend much, most of the cost was the sub, but you can shop around and get it for much cheaper as well as the other pieces.

https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/factory-system-upgrade/lc2i/

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r150x2/

You can shop for anything you want, doesnt have to be what I bought. That amp was perfect for what I needed and equaled out the sound and can now hear the rear speakers. Hardest part is dialing it in after if you have never done so. But after playing enough you will get it or start with something close to my settings if same equipment and same car if 4 door.

Pretty easy install if you go off back speakers. I am very happy with what I came out with, much much better than stock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bru87tr

In case your curious of the speakers I bought, here is the link. Cheap and well worth the money. They like power so sound much better on an amp than the stock HU. I tried both and was surprised when hooked up the amp. But the tweeters are a bit strong. The bass gets better as they break in longer. I am happy for the cost, but want smoother highs.

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r165x3/

Bru87tr

Here is my cost breakdown. I am cheap, so tried to keep it as low as possible.

JL Sub: $364 (Creative Audio)
4 RF speakers: $70 (Amazon)
R. Fostgate Prime 150 amp: $79 (Amazon)
Audiocontrol LC2i LOC: $63 (Amazon)

Plus misc wire, cables, speaker ring adapters and stock speaker connectors.

kaivorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
If you don't want to splice into OEM Wiring, these kits below will get the job done with a little work.

70-1731
71-1731

I had to remove a few pins from the non stereo connector, and add a few pins to the stereo connector. Takes some patience, and a dental pick looking thing to unlock the pins though. Almost done with mine. I broke the last pin I needed so I ordered an additional harness just to scavenge the pins from.

I went with Maximo speakers. They're a little more but I hear they sound more clean.

Speakers from crutchfield usually come with speaker adapters and wiring, recommend doing that.

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
I'm in a similar boat as you. I bought this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8P/Sound-Ordnance-B-8P.html
Positive reviews on amazon and crutchfield. I'll report back once I install it next week. I'm keeping my stock LX/Sport head unit and speakers.
I'm simply hoping to fill in the bottom end that the stock speakers lack.

Bru87tr

I hope that sub works out, I heard that one isn't too bad. Prob helps cause it is ported.

But it won't be as accurate and put out as much as its only 80W

It does get a lot of good reviews. I do remember seeing that and it being on my list with the others.

OP
OP
Soamazen23

Soamazen23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX EX
Country flag
My sub is on the passenger rear floor. I take it out every night, it unplugs in seconds. I know for a fact I would be very unhappy if it was in the trunk as it is small. I would still hear it, but not as well. But it blows away any of those other options.

I personally dont like the Rockford Fosgate speakers I bought, next time going with silk dome tweeters on my next replacements. Though the RF blow away the stock speakers. But I was looking to get out of those cheap. Once they break in they sounded better.

I have a low trim, so its a basic HU with no amp. You couldnt even hear the rear speakers (they also distorted easy but the fronts did not) and is why I added an amp to only the rear speakers as the fronts are close and have enough power to hear fine. They match fine with the level the rear RF amp is putting out to the rear speakers now.

Replaced speakers in front door, really easy. Replaced speakers in rear deck (4 door) and a bit more work as you have to take out the rear seat and trim. Not that hard if you watch on youtube first so you know what your doing.

Already linked the sub, here is the rest I installed. If your replacing the speakers go with something a little better. For one I never liked 3 way and I would put something with a silk dome tweeter. I will eventually go with JL 2 ways with silk dome. I didnt spend much, most of the cost was the sub, but you can shop around and get it for much cheaper as well as the other pieces.

https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/factory-system-upgrade/lc2i/

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r150x2/

You can shop for anything you want, doesnt have to be what I bought. That amp was perfect for what I needed and equaled out the sound and can now hear the rear speakers. Hardest part is dialing it in after if you have never done so. But after playing enough you will get it or start with something close to my settings if same equipment and same car if 4 door.

Pretty easy install if you go off back speakers. I am very happy with what I came out with, much much better than stock.

Thanks man ive been doing alot of reading and research referring the info you guys are giving me. I think i’ve decided to go ahead and change the stock speakers also ima replaced the tweeters. A couple of questions I have. Did you have to tap into the HU at all? Maybe you’ve mentioned it before and i missed it. Also which JL sub model you got for around 364$ they have several models that im looking at im just curious. Was it the one on the link?

Thank again

OP
OP
Soamazen23

Soamazen23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX EX
Country flag

Bru87tr

Don't get caught up in the great reviews, check the bad ones at the end to and you will get a better idea.

I can't say I ever heard a cheap sub be accurate and have great output at 80W. Remember, its only $100 and that says something.

Are the speakers and tweeters that bad ? If you aren't going to run an amp, keep the stock speakers and tweeters. I will say I lost some bass going from the stock speakers to the RF speakers. But I made it up with the sub so not all lost. But I did gain some hi freq. You may just need to add a sub and be done. You radio and speakers are better than mine in the LX it sounds like. You may want to keep them if you are not adding an amp and they have good output. If you can try a sub first and see how it sounds.

The first link I gave you was the sub I bought.

BTW: I did a lot of reading on forums/google and a lot of youtube videos so I knew what I was doing. That helped a lot before I made any decision and made the job easier once I did it.

OP
OP
Soamazen23

Soamazen23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX EX
Country flag
If you don't want to splice into OEM Wiring, these kits below will get the job done with a little work.

70-1731
71-1731

I had to remove a few pins from the non stereo connector, and add a few pins to the stereo connector. Takes some patience, and a dental pick looking thing to unlock the pins though. Almost done with mine. I broke the last pin I needed so I ordered an additional harness just to scavenge the pins from.

I went with Maximo speakers. They're a little more but I hear they sound more clean.

Speakers from crutchfield usually come with speaker adapters and wiring, recommend doing that.

Thanks for the info
Sponsored