604CTR

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ktuner, intake options, downpipe options, which mods or combination of mods will yield the biggest bang for the buck, and which are somewhat marginal in gains so far?

Has anyone dyno tested before and after with specific mods? Which brands are best for each specific intake/downpipe/etc?

Any additional advice? I wouldn't mind some increased intake noise, but I'll probably keep the stock rear exhaust for now.

I'm not looking for huge gains, just some relatively easy and not hugely expensive enhancements.

Thanks!
Sponsored

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Hondata is a great start. My car made baseline 286whp 271 tq. After just the baae 93 flash with no tuning it made 327 whp 377tq. Excellent mod and best horse power bang for the buck.

Honda Civic 10th gen Where to start with mods? 20180824_125844-1164x873

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Like the poster above said, a tune is the best bang for the buck by far. I've used Ktuner and Hondata and both are great products. You get real, usable power (especially in the midrange) with even a base tune.

Intakes dollar for dollar will produce nice sound more than any big power gain. As far as changing the exhaust, that's even more just for sound.

Get a tune.

mdub83

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR in White
Country flag
i just put in the hondata with a PRL intercooler and takeda CAI.... before the hondata tune, I drove around the car with the CAI and intercooler.. honestly didn't really see much of a difference. Maybe a little sound diff... but.....

with the 91 octane tune with intercooler and improved throttle response.. holy shit the car is an animal now. I have no idea what type of HP im doing but it's a beast. I feel like I can race a corvette now!

ctr_no650

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ctr, 2014 Chevy Sonic LTZ, 1990 rover mini
Country flag
hondata and ktuner with bolt on parts are great options, however some dealerships will void the warranty if they find out that the ecu has been replaced. I can only speak for myself, me personally would only go bolt on parts due to i have a 100k mile warranty and i really don't think spending 675 bucks for 30 to 45 hp gain is worth it.

With that being said a simple fk8 exhaust search on youtube will provide ample videos/ sound clips for various different exhaust systems and intake systems. Some have subjective reviews some do not ( fyi: afe no longer makes the cat back for fk8 and milltek is changing distributors for United States orders are slow to process), so it's all based on budget really, Intake: eventuri, bishimoto intake are really nice, but expensive, injen intakes are great too. Suspension: i have swift springs, it provides a great 1 inch drop stiffer spring rate, eibach pro springs provide a slighty less aggressive drop than OEM and are softer spring rate than swift, fortune has a full replacement coil system for ( track cars or ppl with to much money), plus there are a hand full of suspensions systems out there this is just to get you started based on my knowledge.

Hope this helps

OP
OP

604CTR

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards a tune and an intake (mostly for sound - but I want one that actually functions well too). I don't really want to touch the exhaust, unless big gains are to be had by replacing the downpipe/etc. Suspension-wise, I'm pretty happy so far.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why do people worry about warranties, lol...if you do, why even be on a forum that talks about modding???? I don't get it.

Anyway, to the OP, as most said, a tune, either ktuner or hondata. I have ktuner myself and love it. I've had hondata on past Hondas and it worked okay also...but I'm liking ktuner more...so far.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag

OP
OP

604CTR

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I saw something about ECU cloning, so that the modded ECU can be easily swapped in and out. What's the easiest way to do this?

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
I saw something about ECU cloning, so that the modded ECU can be easily swapped in and out. What's the easiest way to do this?
https://www.hondata.com/remote-clone You might be able to save a few bucks by buying a used one too and sending it in for cloning, not sure if that can be used or not. Also not sure if anyone other than Hondata is doing this.

Last edited:

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
https://www.hondata.com/remote-clone You might be able to save a few bucks by buying a used one too and sending it in for cloning, not sure if that can be used or not. Also not sure if anyone other than Hondata is doing this.
Sorry to revive but is cloning a viable option for keeping the dealer off your back for a tune with a stock/mod ecu? Has this been tested yet?

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase