Where to sell my Honda other than a dealer?

mitch96

First Name
mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Coupe
Country flag
So I'm getting a new ride and want to sell my 2013 coupe. Not trade it in.. CraigsList? Autotrader? Forsale sign on the front lawn?
Seems my experience with craigslist is just a bunch of scammers.. .Paypay scam and vin# scams.. What was your experience?
mitch
Sponsored

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
I've done many on craigslist
Just dont respond to text or email responses outside of cl.
You can spot the scams easy if you keep your radar on.

Dont even entertain offers without seeing the car.

Glws

OP
OP

mitch96

First Name
mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Coupe
Country flag
You can spot the scams easy if you keep your radar on.
Dont even entertain offers without seeing the car. Glws

Got a flurry of offers with almost the exact wording from different parts of the country.. Some got quite "testy" when I told them I wasn't intrerested in selling my car across the country sight un seen. Lots of typo's with funky language..... SCAM!

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
Carmax -- they'll give you a written offer after checking out the car.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Carmax is horrible for selling cars. They'll give you a wholesale price which is usually much less than what you would get from just selling it. I would try facebook marketplace, craigslist, or a local used car dealer if you really want to just get rid of it.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
selling a car privately is a big huge hassle,

you will get lowball offers, you will get people coming just to look, you will get people agreeing on a deal then never hear from them again,

trade it....unless you have lots of time in your life that you dont mind wasting, and your not in a hurry to sell
I can agree with this. It's usually more of a headache than it's worth. You might get a little more $ selling privately but dealing with a bunch of losers will certainly offset that by a long shot.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
Craigslist like Autotrader now charges to post a car for sale, I use Facebook Marketplace, there are also apps like Offerup and it's 500+ spinoffs you could try but Facebook Marketplace is the best way to do things because if you find people that actually understands how facebook works you never have to share personal contact info, you can text and even place phone calls and even video calls through the Facebook Messenger app on your phone without ever giving out your real number, you can also see what aspects of the persons profile they have set to public so you can typically see who you are talking to before you go to meet them so that adds an extra safety factor in there for both sides.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can agree with this. It's usually more of a headache than it's worth. You might get a little more $ selling privately but dealing with a bunch of losers will certainly offset that by a long shot.
which is why I only schedule people to come look on the weekend so it doesn't cut into the days when i'm actually making money.
It's worth it more then it's not, you trade it in you are giving up potentially thousands of dollars depending on the car, yeah dealing with lowballers gets annoying so just don't waste your time replying, I guess to many people have been watching Fast N Loud and think they are Richard Rawlings and can offer you HALF your advertised price, I just tell those people where to shove it and the ass end of the car alone is worth more in parts then that (been trying to sell my Firebird for a while and people keep trying to offer me the price a 100% stock car with these issues is worth when my list price is the used value of the aftermarket parts and the other parts that are EASY to resell like the T/A High rise hatch, T/A rear bumper, T/A side skirts, T/A interior door panels and honeycomb tail lights, hell the tail lights alone are worth $350 for a used set, hatch is another 200-300 and rear bumper is another 200 easily and thats not even bringing up the $800 worth of used suspension parts and upgrades underneath the car and I got people offering me $900 for the car).

OP
OP

mitch96

First Name
mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Coupe
Country flag
I lucked out and sold my Honda on craigslist....$5 for a month.. Nice kid came buy and bought it on the spot for cash. It was really clean with lo miles.
I got about $1000 more than the dealer/carmax etc offered.. I'm a happy guy..
mitch

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
which is why I only schedule people to come look on the weekend so it doesn't cut into the days when i'm actually making money.
It's worth it more then it's not, you trade it in you are giving up potentially thousands of dollars depending on the car, yeah dealing with lowballers gets annoying so just don't waste your time replying, I guess to many people have been watching Fast N Loud and think they are Richard Rawlings and can offer you HALF your advertised price, I just tell those people where to shove it and the ass end of the car alone is worth more in parts then that (been trying to sell my Firebird for a while and people keep trying to offer me the price a 100% stock car with these issues is worth when my list price is the used value of the aftermarket parts and the other parts that are EASY to resell like the T/A High rise hatch, T/A rear bumper, T/A side skirts, T/A interior door panels and honeycomb tail lights, hell the tail lights alone are worth $350 for a used set, hatch is another 200-300 and rear bumper is another 200 easily and thats not even bringing up the $800 worth of used suspension parts and upgrades underneath the car and I got people offering me $900 for the car).
I would never trade in a car if I knew I could sell it privately for thousands more. But when factoring in the tax savings by trading in (depending on which state you live in), a lot of times it does make sense. I've sold several cars and motorcycles thru Craigslist when I was younger. Never had a bad experience. These days though my time is worth more than the effort it takes to sell it privately.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was curious what Carvana would give me for my Fiesta ST with 23k miles. They offered $13,5 which is actually really good IMO. Doubt I could find anyone to pay more than for 14k for it. Having to meet with people, let them test drive it, and then haggle back and forth...yeah no thanks. Still have it though - still can't convince myself to let it go.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would never trade in a car if I knew I could sell it privately for thousands more. But when factoring in the tax savings by trading in (depending on which state you live in), a lot of times it does make sense. I've sold several cars and motorcycles thru Craigslist when I was younger. Never had a bad experience. These days though my time is worth more than the effort it takes to sell it privately.
Yeah it really comes down to how close the trade in is to market value, like for here in Georgia I can deduct the trade in value from the purchase price of a car which would save me about a Thousand Dollars (give or take a hundred bucks) on the TAVT so the trade in value would need to be within that $1,000 range of Private Seller Value to make it worth it on this Civic, but thats also facing the issue of OVERPAYING to buy a new car, I haven't bought off a Dealer of any kind since 2001 because I don't want to pay dealer markup on a used car, but if you are buying a NEW car and so you must buy from a dealer then maybe that would be a viable option.

Maybe a few years down the road when I have enough money set aside to get into a C7 vette I might do it since most of those are on dealer lots here is Georgia.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah it really comes down to how close the trade in is to market value, like for here in Georgia I can deduct the trade in value from the purchase price of a car which would save me about a Thousand Dollars (give or take a hundred bucks) on the TAVT so the trade in value would need to be within that $1,000 range of Private Seller Value to make it worth it on this Civic, but thats also facing the issue of OVERPAYING to buy a new car, I haven't bought off a Dealer of any kind since 2001 because I don't want to pay dealer markup on a used car, but if you are buying a NEW car and so you must buy from a dealer then maybe that would be a viable option.

Maybe a few years down the road when I have enough money set aside to get into a C7 vette I might do it since most of those are on dealer lots here is Georgia.
Yes I do agree if buying used, private party is almost always a better deal. Been a long time since I bought a used car - I'm a sucker for that new car smell :D Plenty of super low mileage vettes for sale. I haven't looked but seems like now would be a great time to buy as I figure quite a few will be upgrading to the C8.
Sponsored