First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Here in Cali, it costs me $4.29 per gallon for 91 octane at the moment. :doh:
I filled up at Costco on Sunday, it was $4.15 for 91. I think in SoCal gas prices are higher than here in the Bay Area, I was out a few months back and it was nearly $4 a gallon at Arco off the 405 in the Southbay
Sponsored

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Costco 93, Sheetz (convenience chain) 93. And, when I have enough grocery points, Giant 93 for the win (last time I got 80 cents a gallon discount!).

Yal

New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
We only get 91 here in California (unless you live near a race track and want to pay $8 per gallon for 100), but I hear automakers are pushing for 95 as the standard nation wide as they would be able to make more fuel efficient engines
There's a Union 76 at Almaden and Foxworthy that has "Race Gas" so go get some and tell me how your car runs on it so I can decide if I want to try it.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's a Union 76 at Almaden and Foxworthy that has "Race Gas" so go get some and tell me how your car runs on it so I can decide if I want to try it.
Unfortunately that's not close to me but if I am ever in the area I will let you know

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Usually Mobil 93. Sometimes Sunoco. I wished we had more options where I live

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I usually use Exxon 93 in the Si and CTR. I’ve never used Costco gas. Always assumed it was cheap off brand gas and cause issues. Why else would they sell it so cheap? Interesting so many people use them. I also assumed they only carried 92. Most cheap gas places around me only sell 92.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
I usually use Exxon 93 in the Si and CTR. I’ve never used Costco gas. Always assumed it was cheap off brand gas and cause issues. Why else would they sell it so cheap? Interesting so many people use them. I also assumed they only carried 92. Most cheap gas places around me only sell 92.
Some one may have newer / better data, however: I'm a chem engr by schooling and years ago in my college days we spent quite a bit of time on the petro industry. I believe I was told the "off brand gas" is the transition gas in the pipeline. There are only so many pipes in the US and distribution centers. Not a network for every major corporation. So, when Exxon was pumping, testing insured it was there's. When they were done, the pipes were changed over to Mobil and until the gas was pure Mobil it was sent to Costco's tanks.

All fuels had to meet certain standards, like octane number. And after the Exxon tank was full, they would add certain additives and so on. In fact there are examples (at that time) that the ONLY difference between some companies was the additive package at the final distribution point. In theory, as long as one is comfortable with how their car performs (as described on the pump) with Slurpy-gas (as we used to call it), there is no loss in quality just because it is pumped there.

As for selling cheep, they are not paying the overhead of Exxon or Mobil and do not have the name recognition. And so on.

Disclaimer: that may all be different now and I'm open to further input.

Reactions: gxl

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I put Shell 93 in mine.

SFerrusco

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si (Ktuner, K&N Intake)
Country flag
Shell 91, Mobile 93, I wish we had a Shell 93 near but we don't :thumbsdown:.
I have to drive about 30 minutes to get 93 otherwise I'm only able to get 91. Should I get a membership at Costco?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's where you are mistaken. Costco gas is top tier, the same as Chevron, 76, Exxon etc. As @newskate9 stated they don't have the overhead of the brand stations, are sustained by memberships, and probably sell more gas than all the gas stations combined, just look at a Cosco gas line. The Costco near my work doubled their pumps from 24 to 48 pumps, and the line still goes out to the parking lot! The good news is if I go Mon thru Fri between 7am and 9:30am the pumps are almost empty, and the other good news is that the cash back I get pays my membership plus this year I got back $700, so it's a win win
Sponsored