Where are the Manuals?

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
Why do Europeans primarily drive mt and Americans drive auto?
Personally, I believe it has to do with fuel efficiency. Now I know here in the states the CVT has better EPA ratings. BUT, I have ALWAYS gotten better mileage with a manual vs an automatic. Generally, I get at least 10% better than EPA with manuals and have never beaten the EPA with automatics. And when gas is costing over $6 a gallon (UK) any savings builds up.

Then there's the overall cost of the car and maintenance. Automatics cost consumers more and only last so long before needed replacement.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I believe it has to do with fuel efficiency. Now I know here in the states the CVT has better EPA ratings. BUT, I have ALWAYS gotten better mileage with a manual vs an automatic. Generally, I get at least 10% better than EPA with manuals and have never beaten the EPA with automatics. And when gas is costing over $6 a gallon (UK) any savings builds up.

Then there's the overall cost of the car and maintenance. Automatics cost consumers more and only last so long before needed replacement.
I agree with all that... plus, they are no fun to drive!

old sparks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LX 6sp Coupe, 1983 Mazda RX7, 2009 Yamaha FZ1
Last edited:

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
I've always assumed Europe buys a lot of manuals because of the ability to tow and superior real world fuel economy. I would expect a lot of 1.5t 6mt Hondas will be sold there now that diesel looks to be on its way out.

The Sedan, when configured this way, is significantly under-rated on the highway mpg. I'm getting high 40's at 70 mph.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've always assumed Europe buys a lot of manuals because of the ability to tow and superior real world fuel economy. I would expect a lot of 1.5t 6mt Hondas will be sold there now that diesel looks to be on its way out.

The Sedan, when configured this way, is significantly under-rated on the highway mpg. I'm getting high 40's at 70 mph.
Curious why you say diesel is on its way out? I thought over half of European cars were sold with diesels?

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Curious why you say diesel is on its way out? I thought over half of European cars were sold with diesels?
A lot of European cities have gotten smogged up due to all the little diesel cars running around. Post "diesel-gate" the europeans are finally coming to terms with this. They're tightening up the emissions standards, and it's probably going to be too expensive to get the smaller (cheaper) diesel vehicles into compliance.

Basically, diesel is going to get priced out of the lower end market because of all the "scrubbing equipment" (and related extra maintenance) required for diesel vehicles.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of European cities have gotten smogged up due to all the little diesel cars running around. Post "diesel-gate" the europeans are finally coming to terms with this. They're tightening up the emissions standards, and it's probably going to be too expensive to get the smaller (cheaper) diesel vehicles into compliance.

Basically, diesel is going to get priced out of the lower end market because of all the "scrubbing equipment" (and related extra maintenance) required for diesel vehicles.
Like it has here huh?

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Well, there was some of the price/ maintenance issues here before, Now that all the cheating has been stopped it'll almost certainly become more of a detriment to diesel. It's been a battle to come up with a better/cheaper solution... but so far it hasn't happened, (and VW's got the wounds to show for it)

On air quality, .. it's been a tale of two cities on US vs Europe. We cleaned up substantially since 70's/early 80's, .. and a lot of Europe got dirtier. I remember L.A. back in the day, ... it was pretty bad.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

Growing up and owning a second home in spain... Im not sure what ur talking about... Go there yearly sometimes 2 or maybe even 3 times and i only know of 1 person that owns a gas powered vehicle other than myself.. (We both own civic type r's) everyone else has there renaults, citroens and seats ( yes thats a car brand ) and are all diesels...

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Growing up and owning a second home in spain... Im not sure what ur talking about... Go there yearly sometimes 2 or maybe even 3 times and i only know of 1 person that owns a gas powered vehicle other than myself.. (We both own civic type r's) everyone else has there renaults, citroens and seats ( yes thats a car brand ) and are all diesels...
How many links do you want me to give you that show diesel sales are down in europe post vw scandal?

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How many links do you want me to give you that show diesel sales are down in europe post vw scandal?
I would believe post VW scandle. They are of course going to be down. VW was a huge player in the diesel market. Remove all their diesel sales and you can't help but see a significant downturn. But I always say, what goes down.... must come up!

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Zero... Im stating what i actually experience.. Nothing more nothing less.. So if said articles state otherwise so be it.. Its problably correct.. Im just pointing out what my 2 eyes actually see.. When i go back in april or july and if i see a d8fference il let you know...

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Zero... Im stating what i actually experience.. Nothing more nothing less.. So if said articles state otherwise so be it.. Its problably correct.. Im just pointing out what my 2 eyes actually see.. When i go back in april or july and if i see a d8fference il let you know...
You would obviously have a better real world perspective on Spain ,... I haven't been there in 10 years.

The "diesel-gate" thing is an interesting subject that I've been following for a while. It could be one of the first big "sea changes" we've seen as the world moves towards transportation 2.0. AFAIK there is no VW (and others) buy-back in europe, so those same (used) small diesel cars might just go up in value and people will tend to drive them longer ... it will be interesting to see what happens.

I do think Honda's 1.5t + 6mt is a good replacement for what diesels had been offering (efficiency + power),... the one big question mark being "will Honda's reliability reputation stay intact"?

Another question is "will someone invent a better mousetrap (NOx trap) that lets small affordable diesels stay a player in the lower end of the market" .... my prediction is no. (but I've been wrong before)
Sponsored

Last edited: