Where are the Manuals?

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
something the CVT guys will never hear:

Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I truly don't get Honda. Let me say first off, that other cars I'm considering... GTI, Mazda3, Elantra Sport turbo, Forte5 turbo, are easily available with manuals and with decent discounts.

I was talking to a local Honda dealer today who said they consider the turbo/manual Civics to be "premium" and they won't be discounting them off MSRP. He said Honda is limiting the manuals to a very small quantity. So let me get this straight... the car is considered premium but Honda is only selling manual hatches with the entry level equipment? Sorry but this is idiotic.

In my entire State (Maryland) there are two manual turbo Civics available. Sorry but that's f'ed up. Honestly for a lot of reasons, Honda will lose customers but I have the feeling they don't care.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I truly don't get Honda. Let me say first off, that other cars I'm considering... GTI, Mazda3, Elantra Sport turbo, Forte5 turbo, are easily available with manuals and with decent discounts.

I was talking to a local Honda dealer today who said they consider the turbo/manual Civics to be "premium" and they won't be discounting them off MSRP. He said Honda is limiting the manuals to a very small quantity. So let me get this straight... the car is considered premium but Honda is only selling manual hatches with the entry level equipment? Sorry but this is idiotic.

In my entire State (Maryland) there are two manual turbo Civics available. Sorry but that's f'ed up. Honestly for a lot of reasons, Honda will lose customers but I have the feeling they don't care.
Overall, Honda's gained so many new customers/sales with the redesign that it easily trumps the <1% who would opt for the base 1.5/manual. So no, they definitely don't care, they're saving the effort up for the more enthusiast-friendly models down the road.

The lack of inventory is baffling though. 11 on Cars.com w/100 miles, including PA, VA, & MD. (For what it's worth - 3/11 are listed below MSRP)

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase

Exactly

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag

Most dealers will tell you every car they're trying to sell is premium. Honda knows they will outsell the GTI, Mazda 3, Elantra and Forte combined, so they tend to be arrogant. GTI's are discounted heavily cause of the scandal, previously GTIs only had like $2k discounts. Mazda 3 is near end of life thus the good discounts.

The far bigger problem is the massive gap between the Sport 6MT and the Type R. Nada for manual hatch fans. I feel lucky that the Sport works for me, but for most people it doesn't.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV

I kind of think it mostly has to do with money. Honda makes more on CVT's and Honda assures an expensive repair sometime down the road when the CVT needs replacing. In reality, the only way you can assure yourself of getting one that you want is to order one and patiently wait. I ordered my EXT MT back in early October. Still not here but I can wait. Here in central Wisconsin there have only been about 5 listed within 250 miles on Cars.com Also, my local dealer has had 2 on their lot over the past month (not in the color I want) and they sold them within a week of listing.

It shouldn't have to be like that but then like you said, Honda doesn't care.

randym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic EX
I think I have the first '17 EX-T 6MT coupe in Wisconsin. I had to go out of state to get it, as my local (SE Wisconsin) dealer wasn't getting one in (in red) until January. I found it on Cars.com listed for well under MSRP. I added the spoiler and splash guards.

Honda Civic 10th gen Where are the Manuals? IMG_4600.JPG

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
something the CVT guys will never hear:

Yea, but when you get the manual, it sounds quite nice, even if it's not in Si form. I made a little video, you can clearly hear the engine, sounds sweet!

The fact that Honda doesn't stock enough manuals is really terrible, they should force more on dealers. On a similar note, a few dealers I spoke to specifically try their hardest not to get any manuals, so this might be the dealer's fault here.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Maybe they avoid getting the manuals because they had trouble selling manuals when they got them in the past.

Notmighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accords couple ex-l 6cylinder 1999 Si 96k greddy turbo kit
Maybe they avoid getting the manuals because they had trouble selling manuals when they got them in the past.
This is more than likely the case. When I purchased my man-Trans sport multiple dealers told me that honda was allocating the man-trans sport hatchbacks to top performing dealers. And according to the dealer I purchased from they aren't even allowed to place an order for the man-tranS sports. True or not I'm not sure, but it really should help with the value if they truly remain hard to come by.

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
Manual shift cars in America are unfortunately a dying breed because fewer and fewer young Americans can drive them.. it's sad but true..

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I think I have the first '17 EX-T 6MT coupe in Wisconsin. I had to go out of state to get it, as my local (SE Wisconsin) dealer wasn't getting one in (in red) until January. I found it on Cars.com listed for well under MSRP. I added the spoiler and splash guards.

IMG_4600.JPG
Very nice ride you got there! That is the exact model/color/equipment I wanted. Congrats!

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
In Norway they basically just sell MT car. So might be Honda US that has decided to go mostly for CVT. In my opinion CVT ruins the feel and joy of driving. At least they could have use a Automatic Double Clutch transmission.
I have now a Cr-z MT and I love it. Also talked with my dealership about the new Civic type-R since it's going to be my next car. As soon as they have the prices they'll put me on the preorder queue. :D

And to the person talking about Mazda 3... You will hate it in MT... I usually lean my hand on the gearshift and if you do that on the Mazda 3, 5 or MX5 you will feel much vibrations on your hand. It's extremely annoying.

sikansen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Citroen Saxo
Greeting from the Czech Republic. First of all congrats to those of you who own new Civic Hatch. I'm getting mine in the Spring when Honda finally start selling them in Europe.

Now to the topic. More than 70% cars sold here are manuals. And this will be the case in more European countries. Do you think Honda need to stock them in advance to before they start selling them?
Sponsored