When to expect information on 2020 Type R?

Gunther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46
Country flag
I've searched to get a feel for this, but came up with nothing - do you guys know which month(s) to expect concrete information on the 2020 Type R?
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
If its like the other years sometime late July and the car will go on sale late November. That's sorta been the pattern. But like I have mentioned before. I wouldn't expect much from the 2020. I really don't see Honda investing capitol into major machine and build changes in a plant that is closing early 2021. Maybe the front and rear bumper covers at best will be all we will see. Stuff that is easy to change and doesn't cost much. Then maybe a special limited end edition 2021 for the plant. Possible skip 2022 while factory is being reset and retooled here in USA as Honda has already said their main concern to get new factory up and going is for the regular civics their bread and butter. Then see a full redesign in 2023.

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At the end of each gen type r, they have a special edition type r for the last few hundred. The last gen type r had the Black Edition, came in all black interior and car came only in black too I believe. They only made 500 of them from what I've seen. I did hear a rumor about this being the Carbon Edition, having a carbon hood scoop, grill, vents (front and rear), roof, spoiler, mirrors, and possibly even the badges. The carbon will be black carbon instead of the red twill mix.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
If its like the other years sometime late July and the car will go on sale late November. That's sorta been the pattern. But like I have mentioned before. I wouldn't expect much from the 2020. I really don't see Honda investing capitol into major machine and build changes in a plant that is closing early 2021. Maybe the front and rear bumper covers at best will be all we will see. Stuff that is easy to change and doesn't cost much. Then maybe a special limited end edition 2021 for the plant. Possible skip 2022 while factory is being reset and retooled here in USA as Honda has already said their main concern to get new factory up and going is for the regular civics their bread and butter. Then see a full redesign in 2023.
I know it's not popular around here, but my opinion is that there will not be an 11th Gen Type R. The logic I'm using is GM having 20+ all-electric cars by 2023. Volvo all-electric by 2023. Tesla sales revving up all over the globe.

I think anyone focused on performance from internal combustion has a board of oversight that is off-course. In fact, I think Nissan and Mazda coming out with these new very complicated internal combustion engines shows how far behind they are. I intend to utilize a good ole gasoline engine for as long as I can, but I'm an old-school gear head born in the '70s. I will resist.

I don't see Honda keeping the 2.0T. I also don't see them building on the platform with something else. I think the 1.5T will be their big gas engine one more generation and they'll be all hybrid and electric.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's the way the people blazing the trail are going. I expect Honda to follow suit.

OP
OP
Gunther

Gunther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46
Country flag
Cool - thanks for that. I'm not expecting any major changes, either. I just hope they don't bump the price again. The main thing for me is a more discreet spoiler, of which there are spy shots. That'll tone down the design a lot, which is my only source of hesitation. That and the god damn dealerships acting like they have a one-of-a-kind Bugatti on the showroom floor.

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool - thanks for that. I'm not expecting any major changes, either. I just hope they don't bump the price again. The main thing for me is a more discreet spoiler, of which there are spy shots. That'll tone down the design a lot, which is my only source of hesitation. That and the god damn dealerships acting like they have a one-of-a-kind Bugatti on the showroom floor.
The special end of gen edition will be more in price than the regular type r for sure.

OP
OP
Gunther

Gunther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46
Country flag
But from what people are saying here, we're thinking 2020 will be the last "regular" year? With possibly some other variant introduced?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Price bump + big wing will remain for sure. There’s a likelihood of a small wing version but that’s only in spy photos so far.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well they have i creased price on each model year. Every maker is raising prices this year don't see honda being any different. Especially if they make any changes to the 2020 it will go up. I'm not a big fan of the wing either. Its like its not made for the csr just something stuck on the regular hatch from a distance.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But from what people are saying here, we're thinking 2020 will be the last "regular" year? With possibly some other variant introduced?
Its all speculation. But considering they release new models late fall. End of november and the plant closing early 2021. I just dont see a regular run on a 2021 model being made for 3 or 4 months.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Im sure they will move into more hybrid parts. Doesnt the NSX use hybrid parts already?

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It has always been in product plan for a lower priced model Type R from the get go. We have had this info since 2015. Temple of VTEC has confirmation of the product plan. Honda never released it due to sales figures of current top model. If sales were slow, they would have released the lower priced model.

As for carbon fiber roof etc., no that’s not happening.

We’ve already got confirmation from Honda the green light was given for 11th gen design go ahead. Ohio is already in design stages of mfg process and planning. We won’t get initial design glimpses until early 2020. Summer, fall 2021 is first deliveries of 2022 MY.

If you know Honda, it’s all about sales figures, so if you don’t think there will be next gen Type R then just wait for it.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know it's not popular around here, but my opinion is that there will not be an 11th Gen Type R. The logic I'm using is GM having 20+ all-electric cars by 2023. Volvo all-electric by 2023. Tesla sales revving up all over the globe.

I think anyone focused on performance from internal combustion has a board of oversight that is off-course. In fact, I think Nissan and Mazda coming out with these new very complicated internal combustion engines shows how far behind they are. I intend to utilize a good ole gasoline engine for as long as I can, but I'm an old-school gear head born in the '70s. I will resist.

I don't see Honda keeping the 2.0T. I also don't see them building on the platform with something else. I think the 1.5T will be their big gas engine one more generation and they'll be all hybrid and electric.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's the way the people blazing the trail are going. I expect Honda to follow suit.
I actually tend to agree with this. 2021 might be the last CTR we see. Especially here in America. Here last year manual car sales were down to lower then 3 percent of all cars sold across every maker. Electric cars are gaining traction (punny lol) car sales in general are tanking. All anyone wants is SUVs and Trucks. Manufacturers are scrapping large chunks of their car offerings. People want automatics and big and basically not cars in the USA. Go to a ford or Chevy dealer and some dont even have cars on the lot anymore just trucks and SUVs. VW has made a pledge to make nothing but electric cars here in a few years... and so on.

The CTR is a limited production sale I read somewhere it doe snot even account for 1% of civic sales let alone all of Honda sales it is just a fraction of a percent. They can drop it with no second though as far as bottom lines go. Limited cars like the CTR are dropped all the time from production.

Last edited:

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It has always been in product plan for a lower priced model Type R from the get go. We have had this info since 2015. Temple of VTEC has confirmation of the product plan. Honda never released it due to sales figures of current top model. If sales were slow, they would have released the lower priced model.

As for carbon fiber roof etc., no that’s not happening.

We’ve already got confirmation from Honda the green light was given for 11th gen design go ahead. Ohio is already in design stages of mfg process and planning. We won’t get initial design glimpses until early 2020. Summer, fall 2021 is first deliveries of 2022 MY.

If you know Honda, it’s all about sales figures, so if you don’t think there will be next gen Type R then just wait for it.
I know we don't see eye to eye but many many more cars with way better sales figures are being dropped like hot potatos. The Camaro ( like it or not) is gonna sell over 50k cars this year in the US and GM is still considering dropping it. Like I said to the other member they don't account for even a whole percent of Hondas sales and only about 1 percent of civic sales. It really is a nothing burger to Honda. But Honda does have a history of keeping lame horses that other manufactures would have dropped at sales under 10%. I love the car I hope they make more. but based on sales , yes everything they make sells and flies of the dealers floor but got to remember they are'nt making many so it appears they are hot property. If they double production I think we would see a different story with cars on lots and no price hikes.

But then again we have no idea what Honda is gonna do . Look at the NSX the car aint selling worth a flip and their solution is to make it more expensive? And they keep on making them so there is hope for the CTR LOL I also think if we do get new models they are gonna top 40k msrp.

But heck who really knows. Tomorrow a new law could pass and the whole thing goes belly up. Its all speculation really.

OP
OP
Gunther

Gunther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46
Country flag
Well they have i creased price on each model year. Every maker is raising prices this year don't see honda being any different. Especially if they make any changes to the 2020 it will go up. I'm not a big fan of the wing either. Its like its not made for the csr just something stuck on the regular hatch from a distance.
The car doesn't look complete without it either though... so I'm eagerly hoping for a middle-of-the-road version.

Agreed on the general direction of things. Would love fully-electric to become popular (and viable), especially when I'm constantly replacing seals/gaskets on a BMW that leaks like a sieve. I'm just not sure we're quite there yet. And as a DIYer, not a fan of hybrids. I'm good with one or the other.
Sponsored