First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi all,

Long story but really hoping someone can give me some insight.

I was driving home with my girlfriend on the expressway (in February) and hit a monster pot hole at around 70mph. She has driven in the type r quite a bit and even she knew that the car would not be ok following this impact. I felt a wobble right after the impact and pulled over immediately. TPMS went off as I approached the side of the road. My front left tire was popped (small hole almost midline on the tire). Had it towed to my Honda dealer and they replaced the tire under the wheel and tire warranty.

I went to pick the car up and service told me there was a bend in the wheel and that it was wobbling slightly once it reached 30 mph. I went out to the car to look, when a tech approached me. He was surprised I hadn’t been given more info about the wheel, and he took it back into the shop to try to balance the wobble out. He switched the damaged front left wheel to the left rear.

Drove on it for a few miles and it felt awful. I demanded the wheel be replaced under the warranty I paid for, and after a bunch of headache they showed me in the fine print that “the wheel could only be replaced if it didn’t hold a seal with the new tire or was leaking air.”

So, I bought a replacement wheel through Honda ($1,000 including labor, which was a discounted price from the $1,300 oem price tag ). I drove it home and it seemed good after the replacement. After a couple hundred miles I noticed there was still some wobble in the car over 30 mph and also noticed a metal sound when steering all the way left.

Took it back and told them it’s still wobbling. Service rolled their eyes and said “really?” Yes really... so I drove the car with a different tech working that day and he noticed the wobble. He told me he would balance the wheels and examine them and it was found that the other left wheel that hit the pot hole (now in the front) was also slightly bent. He balanced it best he could and put it on the rear right. I asked them to check the rest of the car and they said it was a wheel issue. The metal sound was something that shifted off the grill area that was moved back into place (not sure exactly what).

So, before dropping more $, I took it to my local shop that has balanced and rotated tires on my 911 for years. They always do a great job. They balanced everything out and said Honda was off on the balancing for every single wheel. They told me none of the wheels were bent, that they all spun true after road force balancing. They did say the wheel that was replaced was definitely bent when they spun it without the tire on it. They put the wheels back on in order of which wheel required the smallest amount of weight (best on front left, 2nd best on front right, etc.)

It felt smoother after this, but I still noticed a little tiny shimmy in the steering wheel, especially in R+ mode, mostly at the bottom right aspect of the steering wheel. The tech at my shop said he didn’t really notice anything out of the ordinary when he took it for a spin.

So I took it back to Honda and asked for them to cover a new wheel under warranty because the TPMS kept going off, and the “tire must be losing air.” They were able to do this for me, and even though I said I felt it on the right, they told me they found the bent wheel to be front left- and replaced it. I couldn’t believe this as that wheel only had a .25 oz weight on it in order to balance out at my local shop. Once again, the car felt smoother at higher speeds, but I still feel a little shimmy in the right side of the steering wheel sometimes. I am hyper-focused on it.

I don’t really know what to do at this point. I don’t know if Honda stupidly just replaced the brand new wheel they already replaced and the other bent one is still on my car. I don’t know if this is just the road feel in the wheel because I don’t really remember how it felt before the incident. I simply remember the car riding smooth as butter and not thinking about any issues. Do you guys notice a little shimmy in your wheel at certain speeds due to the low profiles? Could this be an alignment issue on the left, therefore pulling the right wheel and shimmying it at certain speeds? Could it be that the tires wore unevenly driving for a couple thousand miles on bent wheels throughout this process? Am I losing my mind? I don’t want to spend any more days at Honda waiting for service or any more money at my local shop that can’t find an issue. Any advice would be appreciated from you guys.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DA1286

DA1286

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/life-honda-civic-type-r-pothole-diaries

Have a read of this, almost identical to your scenario. Are you sure you don't have a knackered suspension component causing the metalic sound and the shimmy?

Hey, thanks, I did see that article. The sound is gone- I think the Honda tech told me it was the heat sheild that had slid over a bit and was rubbing very slightly on the steering components when turned all the way. It probably happened during the impact, but I’m not sure. I have asked them to look at the suspension but since they found “problems” with the wheels, I don't know if they went any further into the diagnosis. We have just been replacing wheels at this point and I still notice an issue creeping up shortly after the wheel replacements. When the car is lifted and wheels removed, is the suspension visible enough to notice something is off? I am not the best with cars so I am unsure. Hopefully they looked, the since car has been there 4 times over the past two months. I am getting the feeling they just want to make money on new wheels, but the service agent did tell me to go aftermarket for daily and simply use these for the track.

Do you have any idea if my independent shop would be able to look at the suspension in the type R? I don’t really think I can trust Honda with this. I am planning on bringing the wheel that was recently replaced by Honda to see if that one also skips when they spin it on the balancer. The previous replaced wheel did skip beyond the point of repair, which proves Honda was right about this. I am also thinking of asking my shop to force match the tires and wheels and take a look at the tire treads to make sure everything is ok. It’s such a wonderful car but it sucks when you feel that something is slightly off.

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored