Wheel locks - what kind & how many do I buy?

Mikias

First Name
Mikias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I've spent a lot of time scouring the internet to find a definitive answer for this question and I've seem to come up short.

I have a '19 Type-R with just factory lugs and I'd like to add a layer of protection for wheel theft. Internet - and this forum - says to grab wheel locks but I don't see a consensus on what size wheel lock or type that needs to be used. I'm operating under the assumption that my requirements are: 14x1.5mm / Ball Seat Wheel locks.

I've also seen a lot of discussion around buying on your own for a reduced price over going through the dealer (~$100). I can see a pack of 4 wheel locks for 57$ on Amazon, so am I to buy 5 sets of these? 1 for every lug?

Or is the wheel lock supposed to be 1 or 2 per wheel?

I'm new to all of this. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I've spent a lot of time scouring the internet to find a definitive answer for this question and I've seem to come up short.

I have a '19 Type-R with just factory lugs and I'd like to add a layer of protection for wheel theft. Internet - and this forum - says to grab wheel locks but I don't see a consensus on what size wheel lock or type that needs to be used. I'm operating under the assumption that my requirements are: 14x1.5mm / Ball Seat Wheel locks.

I've also seen a lot of discussion around buying on your own for a reduced price over going through the dealer (~$100). I can see a pack of 4 wheel locks for 57$ on Amazon, so am I to buy 5 sets of these? 1 for every lug?

Generally, One per wheel.
They are a deterrent, but not impossible to remove without the correct matching socket , as they can be removed with the suitable "Gripping" tool ...
So putting one on each wheel will stop the casual theft, but a professional thief will get the wheel lock off as fast as a normal wheel nut.

Watch out for voiding your wheel's warranty by fitting non-honda locking wheel nuts !!!
:rofl: (Kidding -- I think ? ) :dunno:

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had another set from my first written off Type R so I used 2 sets. I don't live in an area where people steal rims (I hope) but if someone really wanted them hopefully that would be enough of annoyance to not want to.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wheel locks - what kind & how many do I buy? 20190413_091556

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I want to know about the badass wheel locks that are fancy looking. I am going to be putting down a solid $2k on some enkei wheels. Aren't there some pretty expensive but reputable wheel locks out there?

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gorilla lugs, each one is a lock. As others have said wheel locks are not 100% guarantee but that’s what I got when I couldn’t find the set that came with my car putting my regular wheels back on after winter

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
If they want your wheels, they'll take it. It just takes a little more time. One set is enough. Usually, wheel thieves go around and steal wheels between 2AM-5AM. The only time you have to worry is when you park your car on the street during those times.

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag

If you are still interested I have a set of Honda wheel locks I will sell you cheap.

OP
OP

Mikias

First Name
Mikias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
If you are still interested I have a set of Honda wheel locks I will sell you cheap.
How much are you selling for? I may grab another set on top of the ones I have now. The more protection the better!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
agreed,

wheel locks give you a bit of peace of mind, but if somebody REALLY wants them, they will take them regardless, and nothing will stop them

wheel locks are the equivalent of locking the door to your home, its a bit of protection, but if somebody REALLY wants in they will break a window,

where there's a will, there is always a way
For whatever reason I started a bunch of videos from the lockpickinglawyer, it's started making me insecure about any lock out there :p Granted the man probably has some magical hands, he seems to have no issues picking just about any lock.

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
How much are you selling for? I may grab another set on top of the ones I have now. The more protection the better!
I will sell them to you for $20.00 delivered.I would not use more than one lock per wheel.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You live in or near dc? id get gorilla locks I'm getting them just because they're black lol

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I live in NoVA, why? Would gorilla locks be better?
Black ctr? Were you driving sunday when that jackass v6camaro,maxima and old s class Mercedes were racing on the highway? And they would be better yes and they are black matching your wheels
Sponsored