Wheel hop

Manuel

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
whats up. Does anyone know how if wheel hop is bad on the power train or suspension? I pulled up next to a challenger and Flored the gas pedal in first gear and got pretty bad wheel hop. Type r pulls hard btw. Has anyone else experienced this on your type r yet?
Sponsored

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
Country flag
It puts a lot of strain on the power train for sure, dynamic peaks like that is more or less the worst thing you can do. How well the car will handle it depends on how strong the gearbox is. A guy at my local track who races a Saab 9000 basically kills one gearbox each time he gets wheel hop. I think he has changed 3 gearboxes so far. Ok, these are known to be pretty weak but you see the point.

OP
OP
Manuel

Manuel

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Okay I just hope I didn’t hurt anything cause I never had that happen that bad with other cars. Last time I’m going to accelerate that hard on first gear. The power and short gears is a bad combination for traction. Hope the Car can handle it.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Unless drag tires and additional suspensison work, the CTR is not for trash it at a drag race.
1. Traction control, preferably off to not stress the drivetrain.
2. Put heat on your tires.

There is a minimal wheel hop and definitely a lot wheel spin. Just invite the guy of the Challenger to a twisty road, that’s where your car shines :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Manuel

Manuel

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Well I didn’t really launch it off the light I accelerated slow like normal and once I hit around
2-3k I gave it gas and heard it hop a couple times 2 nd and 3rd were smooth pulls. Thanks for the info and this thread is a good reminder to go easy on first gear all you CTR owners. These tires have so much grip. Defanetley better for the twisty roads.

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
Country flag
You don't have to worry if you have done this once, the ctr is most likely pretty strong. Just don't do it every day and everything will be fine :)

OP
OP
Manuel

Manuel

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Cool. I kinda figured the car could handle it since it is a performance car. Just trying to stay in the safe side. I was experimenting with traction on that drive so Was testing it out. And wat better way to do that than against another car right. On my prelude vtec I could beat on it launch it and it takes it but the tires on it are 195-15-50 so they slip. Anyways won’t be racing anytime soon.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
The Civic Type R has 20" UHP tires and very thin sidewalls. You know what tires aren't any of those things? Drag radials. Sidewall flex and lowering the psi is how drag vehicles get traction. The CTR isn't set up for drag racing.

OP
OP
Manuel

Manuel

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
That is true. I’m going to go easy on it for now on. I really don’t want to repair something like an axle or mount on it so soon. Or even worse, a transmission or motor. Purely for the track or back roads. Just getting used to the power increase. I’m used to driving civics and integras where the setup isn’t as aggressive.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
That is true. I’m going to go easy on it for now on. I really don’t want to repair something like an axle or mount on it so soon. Or even worse, a transmission or motor. Purely for the track or back roads. Just getting used to the power increase. I’m used to driving civics and integras where the setup isn’t as aggressive.
As a general philosophy, IMHO there is no point racing a car with an automatic or DSG transmission. There's no skill involved on the other side - their grandma can pull the same 0-60 (most grandmas nowadays know how to do a proper brake torque launch . . . . YouTube, tsk, tsk). Moreover, why race any car that has 375, 485, 707 or 840 hp (if it were an SXT, okay, maybe)? That would be like CTR racing against a Corolla. Again, what would that prove?

Yup, I am turning into a crusty old man, ever so slowly.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Apparently a replacement lower rear motor mount will help tremendously. I wheel hopped bad on dragstrip.

OP
OP
Manuel

Manuel

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
As a general philosophy, IMHO there is no point racing a car with an automatic or DSG transmission. There's no skill involved on the other side - their grandma can pull the same 0-60 (most grandmas nowadays know how to do a proper brake torque launch . . . . YouTube, tsk, tsk). Moreover, why race any car that has 375, 485, 707 or 840 hp (if it were an SXT, okay, maybe)? That would be like CTR racing against a Corolla. Again, what would that prove?

Yup, I am turning into a crusty old man, ever so slowly.
I agree with you street racing is pretty boring all you do is put extra wear on your car. There’s always going to be someone faster and someone slower. The real fun is keeping the car solid as possible and reliable. The CTR is a better Car for touring around for sure due to the small engine.

OP
OP
Manuel

Manuel

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Apparently a replacement lower rear motor mount will help tremendously. I wheel hopped bad on dragstrip.
Yea mounts were the first thing that came to mind and thought they would wear easier when driving hard. Upgrade the mount or engine torque damper??
When I wheel hopped I was on sport mode so the suspension wasn’t at its stiffest so idk

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Yea mounts were the first thing that came to mind and thought they would wear easier when driving hard. Upgrade the mount or engine torque damper??
When I wheel hopped I was on sport mode so the suspension wasn’t at its stiffest so idk
I think the mount. I put the mount in my 09 Si and it got a lot better, just had to deal with buzzing in the dash a bit more.

OP
OP
Manuel

Manuel

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
I think the mount. I put the mount in my 09 Si and it got a lot better, just had to deal with buzzing in the dash a bit more.
Oh okay. I will look into that. Will just baby it for now. At least try.
Sponsored