17SIYoDood

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
I've been searching ebay, craigslist, fb marketplace and amazon to find a cheap basic laptop running windows 10. used or new and there is so many damn choices! I'm only looking to spend like 250 MAX because its strictly gonna be used to tuning. absolutly NOTHING else so it doesnt have to be high spec just the basic requirements for ktuner v2... So what are you using and how much did you pay? If you paid some butt-raping price don't even bother posting because its way outta my price range lol... thanks in advance! hopefully i get some good ideas from everyone!
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
HP made a laptop that, I think was called a ‘stream’. Soldered CPU. Garbage... tiny eMMC hard drive that’s also soldiered to the board. Internal battery. Thing is... they’re a couple years old now and came with Windows 10. I think their either cost $200 or $250 but they’re pretty worthless since their hard drive space is limited and they’re virtually not upgradable and Windows can’t be updated even. Still... for something reasonably new, does work, and might could be bought on the used market for stupid cheap (around $100), it might be an option if you’re looking at the cheapest POS Win 10 laptop that’ll also work for just an Windows 10 flash machine.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Stick with a PC. Whatever laptop you you get for your budget won't last the duration you have that car.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I spent a little more than that and bought a refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad with an i5 processor. I'm more of a Mac guy but most tuning software is Windows based.

OP
OP
17SIYoDood

17SIYoDood

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
HP made a laptop that, I think was called a ‘stream’. Soldered CPU. Garbage... tiny eMMC hard drive that’s also soldiered to the board. Internal battery. Thing is... they’re a couple years old now and came with Windows 10. I think their either cost $200 or $250 but they’re pretty worthless since their hard drive space is limited and they’re virtually not upgradable and Windows can’t be updated even. Still... for something reasonably new, does work, and might could be bought on the used market for stupid cheap (around $100), it might be an option if you’re looking at the cheapest POS Win 10 laptop that’ll also work for just an Windows 10 flash machine.
those kinda setups dont have the processing speed requirements i think is at least 1.6ghz but i def know what your talking about. theve been featured on LTT a few times. i appreciate your input though lol. it was my first search actually haha.

OP
OP
17SIYoDood

17SIYoDood

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
Stick with a PC. Whatever laptop you you get for your budget won't last the duration you have that car.
i love the idea but im sure i can find a reasonable laptop somewhere for sale that has expandable ram slots im sure. just finding it is the pita part. i like the lenova idea kinda actually. i think they have expandable storage and slots

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
those kinda setups dont have the processing speed requirements i think is at least 1.6ghz but i def know what your talking about. theve been featured on LTT a few times. i appreciate your input though lol. it was my first search actually haha.
I’m using one now along side my HP laptop that’s the guts of a Omen gaming version in a pavilion case. Kids are using it to do their schools-cancelled school work. I have another Asus and a Samsung stuck away somewhere (people are always giving me their old broke stuff) but I think neither work.

Not sure the specs on the Stream. It was given to me by a friend who I’d done a build for as a junker they didn’t want to mess with. They got it off of QVC because it was a price that was too good to be true. It was.

Still... Windows 10... a wireless card and a USB port for $100 in a laptop isn’t easy to do... and they exist. As poor as their specs are, they actually work well at their price point. The inability to upgrade the eMMC to a HDD/SSD and the eMMC soldering being... well... I’m not going to attempt it. I have seen a video of what it entails and while I have done some replacing components on boards, it is beyond my expertise.

2018Si_NY

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si
Country flag
Literally have a toshiba from 2013 out of date on windows 7 and ktuner works phenomenal lol does it do anything else? No but it’s my tuning laptop!!! Don’t go cray lol

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
alienware m15 is my daily carry around...way over kill just for tuning but i use it for the graphics card for cad... company pays me monthly for personal supplies, just use that $$ to make the best buy payment

OP
OP
17SIYoDood

17SIYoDood

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
i forgot this was on LTT about a month ago and linus loved it

OP
OP
17SIYoDood

17SIYoDood

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
don't look at brands just find the cheapest laptop/tablet that runs windows and has 4gb of ram and an ssd of any size. It's nearly impossible to get a cpu that can't handle ktuner and the 4gb ram+ssd are just for usability/response

here's one I found on ebay for $88
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProBook...334206?hash=item4b695e49fe:g:S6wAAOSwjcVdXT9b
the only reason im weary of this is because ktuner requires a dual core @ 1.6 ghrz. this is intel 1.5 which doesnt even overclock to meet the requirements... which sucks cause this is a good pick. i was trying to find a thinkbad to buy but they are all bidding wars with CRAZY shipping cost's that dont even make sense
Sponsored