What's your favorite all-season tire/brand?

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! I've used the calculator before and I think what I decided was: 18x8 +45 wheel with a 245/40R 18 tire. Speedometer will only be off by about .5 MPH and fitment should be perfect.
Note that the OEM 18" Wheel Fitment (Si, Sport and Sport Touring) is 18X8J with a 50mm offset shod with 235/40ZR18 tires. FYI. 245s with a 45mm offset could rub on suspension in front...
Sponsored

OP
OP
ZephyrFlash

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Note that the OEM 18" Wheel Fitment (Si, Sport and Sport Touring) is 18X8J with a 50mm offset shod with 235/40ZR18 tires. FYI. 245s with a 45mm offset could rub on suspension in front...
I've got a coupe; fitment ended up being perfect with room to spare if I want to go lower in the future.

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
ohtsu made by falken is an extremely under rated brand that has always been excellent for me. Nice grip, stretch very nicely and cheap

bubbaleenc

Owning the country roads.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T Sedan '01 4Runner '18 Suburban
Country flag
I'm having some Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 215/50R17s (v-rated, 25.5 lbs ea) installed tomorrow. Since this is my daily driver I need something that will perform in all weather conditions and will last a while. I had Pirelli P7 on an old G35 and those were pretty darn good for an A/S tire. I almost went with those on my Civic until I saw a couple of head-to-heads with the CS5 and P7 on a Bimmer. Between the better performance in wet and dry and the over $30 per tire lower cost I figured I'd give them a try. I had good luck with Coops on my 4Runner... let's see how they do on the Civvy.

CyberCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I had Continental DWS06 tires on my RSX and just installed them on my SI. They're great tires.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
One tire worth looking into is the Nokian zLine A/S. They are W rated UHP tires that are priced really low and have gotten excellent reviews.

A couple other reasonably priced UHP all season tires are the General G-Max AS-05 and the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2.

Last edited:

bubbaleenc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So far so good on my new Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring shoes (United States tire production on week 37 of 2018 - early September, 215/50R17, 95V, Extra Load, 640A/A, 70,000 mile warranty)... First Impressions after 175 miles:

*no louder than FT140 (new vs. new - much quieter than my used up FT140s)
*4 pounds heavier than FT140 (new vs. new - new vs. old even greater difference)
*incredible grip on dry road (very hard to induce slippage under hard acceleration from stop - what I could get was a minor double hop turning hard left and accelerating; very impressive)
*very good grip on wet road (able to induce slippage under hard acceleration from stop, but not enough to engage traction control)
*tracks straight as an arrow (as any new tire should)
*excellent cornering on dry pavement (35mph 90-degree right turn with no sense it wanted to drift out and no under/oversteer)
*excellent cornering on wet pavement (30mph 90-degree right turn with some feedback that felt like it was close to understeering but still tracking exactly as steering input)
*excellent dry parking lot braking (20mph to stop with no tire squeal, no ABS activation, perfectly straight and short stopping distance)
*wet parking lot braking not tested
*almost too-good lane to lane dry grip (70mph quick lane change caused the stability control to kick in slightly. While the car moved exactly as it should, the sudden g changes of the maneuver triggered the system to numb the steering for a short moment so that I was not able to jerk the car back into the lane where I started the maneuver. I didn't like that one bit - that isn't a tire fault but car design fault IMHO which can be overcome by turning off that system)
*excellent wet lane-to lane grip (70mph quick lane change with perfectly predictable motion and no nanny systems triggered)
*excellent dry highway braking (75mph to 60mph with perfectly straight and predictable motion, no tire squeal, no ABS activation, no stability control activation and very quick drop in speed)
*wet highway braking not tested
*excellent low-speed steering (parallel parking and parking lot space maneuvering both had light but perfectly responding steering with no tire slippage sound on concrete or asphalt)
*minor increase of engine load for in-motion acceleration and hill climbing (engine bogs down more quickly than with FT140 requiring lower gear adjustment that wasn't as quick or present at all with FT140- the fake "downshift" of the CVT)
*potentially decreased fuel efficiency by as much as 10%
*tough build quality (accidentally ran over part a metal sign post that fell in roadway after the hurricane - no visible damage to tire whatsoever)

At 175 miles, any new tire should drive straight and have robust durability. Most new tires will grip better than older tires and fuel efficiency will drop with new tires, especially going from eco-touring FT140s to Ultra-touring style tires. FT140 to CS5UT is probably an unfair comparison, especially at this limited mileage. However, for folks looking for a tire that will not cost a ton (this lists for $104 at Discount Tire and currently has a $70 rebate for a set of 4) AND will provide *significantly* better handling, this tire is up there with the Nokian zLine A/S. My only dislike of this tire so far is how the increase of unsprung weight affects acceleration and hill climbing. I'm saving up for a Ktuner, and the power band / turbo / throttle adjustments will more than offset this issue.

Some other tires I considered: Nokian zLine A/S (almost bought these instead until a local tire dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse), Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 (I am willing to make minor sacrifice of handling for better mileage warranty at similar price), Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus (great tire, but pricey compared to CS5 UT for similar dry handling), Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus (lower user ratings compared to CS5 UT), the oddball Michelin CrossClimate+ (much lower warranty and much higher cost but significantly better reviews in all 4 seasons - nearly impossible to find in US still and replacement considerations made me turn it down) and the Michelin Premier A/S (the standard load rating and lower heat rating with much higher price made me snub it).

I'll report again after about 1,000 miles to give more info and note any changes to my first impressions. All-in-all, I'm *very* happy with this tire so far.

bonne

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes... sold... now 10'th Gen Civic 1.5 VTEC CVT
Country flag

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve always gravitated to Michelin.
Have Pilot Super Sports on my Boxster and they stick like shit to a blanket.
I’ll be replacing my crappy Firestones with dedicated summer tires as soon as I wear them out.

bubbaleenc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So far so good on my new Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring shoes (United States tire production on week 37 of 2018 - early September, 215/50R17, 95V, Extra Load, 640A/A, 70,000 mile warranty)... First Impressions after 175 miles:
I'll report again after about 1,000 miles to give more info and note any changes to my first impressions. All-in-all, I'm *very* happy with this tire so far.
I can't believe this past month - I've driven over 1,000 miles already. So here's an update:

*Traction and braking is phenomenal on both wet and dry surfaces, and in temperatures from 30F to 83F (Gotta love NC weather this time of year)
*Absolutely no air pressure decrease with the sudden drop of temperatures
*Running at 40PSI for regular driving and 35PSI for weekend winding road romps (say that 5 times fast), the grip is insane at 35PSI and is quite good at 40PSI
*Grooved interstates are not pleasant to drive with these tires - not due to the sound level which is pretty good, but due to the high grip that wants to follow every minor weave in grooves. I find 40PSI is much more pleasant than 35PSI on those surfaces. Interestingly, turning off traction control seems to reduce the effect but I'm not sure if this is real or merely perceived (it makes no scientific sense that this would be the case).
*Max pressure rating is 50PSI and maximum rated tire weight load is at 44PSI (since our car recommends 32PSI on stock tires that are Standard Load, running somewhat higher PSI on Extra Load tires like these is generally a good practice for daily driving; I would not personally consider running these under 32PSI unless I was at a track - but then I wouldn't be running A/S tires anyway so...)
*Still seeing ~8-10% lower mpg than I used to, but the cause is hard to weed out: I'm driving more aggressively in these tires because they let me do so; the temperature is all over the place which wreaks havoc on this little turbo charged powerplant's fuel efficiency; new tires almost universally have higher rolling resistance than old ones which will decrease MPG; and any number of other uncontrolled variables.
*Not Attractive on stock wheels. I know, this will vary from taste to taste, but something about the crown design makes these look rather frumpy on the EX-T rims.
*No rim guard. I'm exceedingly cautious when I parallel park and round city corners, so I'm not worried in the least about curb rash. But for folks who are not as lucky in avoiding the scrape of shame, these tires won't give much (if any) rim protection.
*Cooper tire wear square (gimmicky but cool just the same) still showing new - as it should.

I'm very happy with these tires - especially given they are All Season M+S and not a summer tire. I can't believe how well they grip for a tire with a 70,000 mile warranty. They are even better than the Pirellis I used to run on our G35.

2 wishes: I wish they were a bit lighter, but the weight is probably why they have the combination of longevity and grip; I wish they weren't so ugly

I'll update sometime in the winter after we get a couple snowfalls. But here in central NC "snow" on roads is really a layer of ice on the pavement covered by a deceiving layer of snow. I may have to test the snow driving of these tires in the mountains where there is no ice layer under the snow.

Last edited:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dws06 are good performance relative to its price. Not expensive but not super cheap.

Homer2556

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Touring sedan (mine), '12 Ody Touring Elite (the wife's)
Country flag
@bubbaleenc do you have any more updates? I had the CS5 on my Sonata before I sold it for the Civic and loved them. Much quieter than the stock Kumho or the Yokohama YK740 I replaced them with. Not sure how many miles I’ll get on the stock tires. I’ve got 19,000 on them now, and live in the Charlotte area, so I know exactly what you go through
Sponsored