OP
Phy

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Sorry, I should have clarified, in both cases I tapped into outputs after the factory amp.
The front door speakers don't run through the amp as far as I know?
Sponsored

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
On Civics that have an external amplifier, all speakers are amplified by this amplifier. It is not possible to get an analog signal out of the head unit directly on these as all audio is passed digitally to the amp (located to the outside of the passenger footwell, behind a plastic panel), which then powers each speaker.

Reactions: Phy

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
As @daPyr0x mentioned, all the speakers are amplified. I'm not sure if anything is different with the CTR, but I can post pictures showing where I tapped in if it helps anyone.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Reactions: Phy
OP
OP
Phy

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
I’m definitely not knowledgeable on any of the technical aspects of this thread but am I correct in understanding that there currently isn’t a “good” way to improve the sub quality without wiring modifications?

OP
OP
Phy

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m definitely not knowledgeable on any of the technical aspects of this thread but am I correct in understanding that there currently isn’t a “good” way to improve the sub quality without wiring modifications?
That's my understanding. You can improve it with hondahack and viper, but it only improves streaming music. My plan is to tap into the front speakers with an LC2i, into an amp, back into the factory sub, and hopefully that will be enough to live with. It'll be a while before I actually do it though.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The sub with the premium audio system is limited by the factory amplifier crossover points.

A sub driven by a separate amplifier and tapping the front speaker channels has given many users desired results without over complications.

I found that replacing the front speakers with aftermarket components made a big difference in my build. I also have a sub with a separate amp getting signal from the factory sub channel

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
That's my understanding. You can improve it with hondahack and viper, but it only improves streaming music. My plan is to tap into the front speakers with an LC2i, into an amp, back into the factory sub, and hopefully that will be enough to live with. It'll be a while before I actually do it though.
Hondahack and Viper can definitely be applied to music off USB as well as streamed from phone (whether stored locally on the phone or playing through a service like Spotify). I'm not certain about applying to FM radio, though.

OP
OP
Phy

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hondahack and Viper can definitely be applied to music off USB as well as streamed from phone (whether stored locally on the phone or playing through a service like Spotify). I'm not certain about applying to FM radio, though.
Correct, but it doesn't work on FM or XM. I'd much rather use XM than have to plug in my phone and stream off it every time just to get any bass.

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
Correct, but it doesn't work on FM or XM. I'd much rather use XM than have to plug in my phone and stream off it every time just to get any bass.
Are you sure? There are multiple devices that Viper can control, are none of them the FM or XM tuners? I was pretty sure I confirmed it working with FM, but I don't have XM in my car to test with.

OP
OP
Phy

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you sure? There are multiple devices that Viper can control, are none of them the FM or XM tuners? I was pretty sure I confirmed it working with FM, but I don't have XM in my car to test with.
I'll test it again but other threads have mentioned it only working with bluetooth and usb, and I could not get it to affect xm at all when I first installed viper.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
I'll test it again but other threads have mentioned it only working with bluetooth and usb, and I could not get it to affect xm at all when I first installed viper.
Android Auto and Viper works aswell.

OP
OP
Phy

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Android Auto and Viper works aswell.
Yes, because it streams from your phone. It definitely does not work with the FM or XM output.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
Yes, because it streams from your phone. It definitely does not work with the FM or XM output.
i wonder if theres a workaround for FM/XM? i mean, the factory EQ works aswell.
Sponsored