What's the best engine oil for our cars ?

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I personally wouldn’t go crazy with the Amsoil or Royal Purple, etc. too expensive imho the factory stuff is plenty good enough.
Sponsored

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I did not know that Amsoil is not API certified.
Are they any laboratory tests which prove their claims?

jerost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan Lunar Silver
Country flag
I've just switched over to Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy as that's what I use in my wife's EX-T. Works well enough and seems to increase mileage a bit. Seems to be well reviewed.
That's what I've used too. I buy 5 quart jugs on Amazon, Walmart or auto chain websites. Whoever has the best price, and I use the Mobil M1-110a filter.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
NAPA full synthetic seems to be very competitively priced. I just bought 20 quarts with free shipping for 40 bucks! Only 10 bucks an oil change.

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been using Mobil One Extended Performance OW-20 and Honda OEM filters every 5K Miles. Zero issues.
Agree with oil and filter (I get the 'Fuel Economy' version of the MobilOne), but i let the mileage monitor choose my intervals. Nowadays, the oil is so good and the tolerances in new engines are so precise, I believe you are just throwing away good oil prematurely. On my 2019 Type R, I change it at ~15% oil life and intervals have been 7800, 8450, 8150, 9800. The mileage monitor knows how 'hard' you've been driving and compensates appropriately. The oil doesn't look odd in any way when it is time to change.

capntucker

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
What do you guys think ?
Mobil 1!!! I'm 62 yrs old and besides being the best or tied with a couple other oils. LISTEN to me....... don't go by what the book says on miles to changing oil. 3,500 miles change oil and filter! I've even changed at 3,000 miles. My car is new and at 600 mile mark, oil change! Then start from there. You'll not have engine issues unless you drive your car like Hell! My second car was a 1973 Monte Carlo. 455,000 miles plus....i finally sold and the guy drove for another 2 yrs. Changed oil every 3,500 miles..........Texaco Havoline and Fram oil filter. Old school, but it's all in your changing your oil. Also, if your oil doesn't have many miles on it and your vehicle has sit for 6 months......change oil!

capntucker

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
Agree with oil and filter (I get the 'Fuel Economy' version of the MobilOne), but i let the mileage monitor choose my intervals. Nowadays, the oil is so good and the tolerances in new engines are so precise, I believe you are just throwing away good oil prematurely. On my 2019 Type R, I change it at ~15% oil life and intervals have been 7800, 8450, 8150, 9800. The mileage monitor knows how 'hard' you've been driving and compensates appropriately. The oil doesn't look odd in any way when it is time to change.
Yes...Mobil 1 Extended rules, but i never let my oil go 5,000 miles. 3,500 and long after your car is sold, the engine is gonna see over 300,000 miles on it.

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
any API approved 0-20

people way overthink oil,

oil related issues should be the least of your concerns on todays engines

if you have an oil related failure, a different brand of oil wouldnt have made any difference

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
How about Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?
I ask because they are currently on sales in local store.

BTW. How many litres do it take?

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Mobil 1!!! I'm 62 yrs old and besides being the best or tied with a couple other oils. LISTEN to me....... don't go by what the book says on miles to changing oil. 3,500 miles change oil and filter! I've even changed at 3,000 miles. My car is new and at 600 mile mark, oil change! Then start from there. You'll not have engine issues unless you drive your car like Hell! My second car was a 1973 Monte Carlo. 455,000 miles plus....i finally sold and the guy drove for another 2 yrs. Changed oil every 3,500 miles..........Texaco Havoline and Fram oil filter. Old school, but it's all in your changing your oil. Also, if your oil doesn't have many miles on it and your vehicle has sit for 6 months......change oil!
If you change your oil on your modern car every 1,000 miles you won't have oil related engine issues, either. But how much perfectly good oil (and money) have you dropped down the drain (or to the oil recycler)? I doubt Honda would put bad data in the mileage monitor to try to have you destroy your engine prematurely! I'm 63 myself, and i KNOW about the 3,000 mile gospel, but those engines of our youth are NOTHING like the motors (and synthetic oils) produced today when you consider metallurgy, engineering, precision machining and construction.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You also have to keep in mind that I'm full bolt-on and tend to "get on it" regularly. So I have additional load on my oil and engine. The monitor may know how "hard" I've been on the motor, but it doesn't know the exact details. So going the recommended amount isn't worth the risk/money of just changing at a specific interval.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
How about Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?
I ask because they are currently on sales in local store.

BTW. How many litres do it take?
PUP is supposed to be really good! Definitely on my short list.

Averia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Based on what I have read Calcium Sulfonate isn't good for LSPI so Pennzoil UP may not be the best choice. Products higher in Magnesium Sulfonate may be a better bet. I haven't spent much time looking at the oils but in that regard the now defunct 2014 formulation of Castrol Edge was pretty good in that regard with a 685/1530 ca/mg ppm. The PUP is at 2200/20. From what I have seen from current formulations looks like RP or QSUD is the best in that regard @1250/900 ca/mg and 1400/500 ca/mg respectively. QSUD has some really low volatility numbers too.

cwcaesar

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
New I've been using Mobil One Extended Performance OW-20 and Mobil One Extended Performance filters every 20K Miles. did my last two oil changes with this at 30K and 50K miles. 20K miles is about 6 months for me with the highway miles that I rack up.
Sponsored