What would you do? (dealership service unplugging dash cam)

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Took my car for its yearly service over the weekend, and got it back just under an hour. Upon driving I noticed something just above my eye, and realized that they unplugged my dash cam.

Now I didn't really mind, as it was just the regular service, ie changing fluids, rotating tires etc. So the mechanics didn't want to be watched and may have forgot to plug it back in.

However are they aloud to do this? My concern is that we have seen in the past where Honda employees take your car out on a joy ride thrashing it, so you wouldn't know what they have been doing.

Only asking as I have received a followup email from the service manager, which reminded me of the dash cam. Should I bring it up or let it pass?
Sponsored

Last edited:

fk8-24179

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic SI; 2019 CTR
Country flag
I probably wouldn't think much of it unless your odometer changed by more than 1/2 mile.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Your local laws may vary. Australia is very different from the US in terms of what you're "allowed" to do.

I'm with the other poster - if your Odo didn't move, no sweat. If they went on a joyride and unplugged the cam, that's a problem.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Other than to make sure something was not recorded what possible reason could it be that the camera was disconnected? While I tend to agree with the above about if no more miles, however, I would still ask the service manager why the camera was unplugged. Maybe there is a valid reason...??

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
I find it odd for them to be disconnecting electronics inside the car for some maintenance work. Although I wouldn't think much of it unless the odometer did go up significantly as stated above.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
The optimistic way of looking at it is that the mechanics don't want to be spied on while they're performing the work and other things happening in the shop. When I brought my car to the BMW dealership for service, they disconnected my cam also.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would not worry about it unless you see an abnormal number of miles between Odometer In and Odometer Out.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Regardless of mileage, it's shady to be disconnecting your dash cam. That would piss me off.

If they're not doing anything wrong, why raise the concern of turning it off? It's rude if you ask me.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Be careful. I don't know how things work in Australia, but many states in America are "two party consent" states meaning both parties must be aware and consent to a conversation being recorded. Other states are "one party consent" which means any one who is a part of the conversation may record it. Secretly recording mechanics working on your car (with audio) could technically be subject to eavesdropping laws and is most likely illegal depending on where you live.

The only solutions I can see would be to record only video unbeknownst to them or to make the auto shop aware your dash cam is recording, and tell them you don't want them messing with it if they want your business.

OP
OP

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Like fine, you don't want to be watched when working. However the thing is they didn't plug it back when they were done.

We have all seen some unfortunate events on this forum with our cars, the thought of being in a crash and you go to your dash cam for backup only for it to be disconnected by someone other than yourself, do you point the finger to them? they will say 'lol yeah right buddy!'

I might be over thinking it but, these things could happen. Luckily I spotted it early.

Last edited:

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
Unplugging a dash cam would make me highly suspicious of what exactly they were doing. If they are just doing routine maintenance, the hood is going to be up the vast majority of the time while your car is on the lift and unless you have the dash cam hardwired where it has constant power and goes into "parking mode" the dash cam isn't even going to be on or recording. I would bring it up with the service manager as they may not be aware that their employees are unplugging electronics inside customer cars. That practice is just sketchy to me.

OP
OP

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Update: So just requested a call back, and they told me apparently it was company policy to DQ the dash cam, but they did say sorry for not plugging it back.

rileyj98

First Name
riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe
Country flag
you have nothing to worry about, if they had to do any software updates its cause they dont want they battery to die during the update. if not then just mechanics not wanting to be watched while working

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Update: So just requested a call back, and they told me apparently it was company policy to DQ the dash cam, but they did say sorry for not plugging it back.
...which to me would bring up this question: "Was there a reason for this policy being set?"

If yes, I would be curious what that reason might be?

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
...which to me would bring up this question: "Was there a reason for this policy being set?"

If yes, I would be curious what that reason might be?
Could be to keep their employees happy. Could be anything I guess...
Sponsored