What version is recommended for Honda Hack & KTuner (2018 Headunit)

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a question regarding Honda Hack and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 2018 CTR and I am looking to add the K-Tuner to my head unit. I see there are two options when purchasing the Honda Hack (Standard & Premium). All I am looking to do is have the K-Tuner on the screen and if I can get it to default to this when startup would be great. Can anyone please tell me what version Honda Hack I should purchase to do this? I don’t really use the head unit for much of anything to be honest. I rarely use navigation or the radio as I am usually focused on the road. I will be the first one to tell anyone that I am not a software guy so I can kind of a noob with this stuff. I searched around the forum and did not see a direct answer regarding this Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions/advice.
Sponsored

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I have a question regarding Honda Hack and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 2018 CTR and I am looking to add the K-Tuner to my head unit. I see there are two options when purchasing the Honda Hack (Standard & Premium). All I am looking to do is have the K-Tuner on the screen and if I can get it to default to this when startup would be great. Can anyone please tell me what version Honda Hack I should purchase to do this? I don’t really use the head unit for much of anything to be honest. I rarely use navigation or the radio as I am usually focused on the road. I will be the first one to tell anyone that I am not a software guy so I can kind of a noob with this stuff. I searched around the forum and did not see a direct answer regarding this Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions/advice.
Keep in mind you don't actually have to pay for Honda Hack. It really depends on how much time you want to spend messing with the head unit to get write access. There's been changes to the password required for dev mode over the model year of the car. If you can finish that process, the free version of Honda Hack is all you need. Downside is that the process is longer and much more involved.

If you pay for it through autohack.org, you can skip all the above nonsense. The dev has implemented completely automated install over wifi, and the install process is through the web browser. Super easy. I believe this is true for both the Pro and Basic versions. Accessing the web browser also varies by model year, but is still easy.

Basic is all you need for the ability to install the K-Tuner app. I would still recommend (and went with) the Pro version. I'm in the same boat in terms of not wanting to use the head unit for a lot of things, but there's a few subtle changes that are great with Pro. Getting rid of the warning on startup is nice, as is the ability to auto launch an app on start (say, K-Tuner?). I was also surprised by how much I appreciated the auto sound decrease while in reverse.

OP
OP
jcp227

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep in mind you don't actually have to pay for Honda Hack. It really depends on how much time you want to spend messing with the head unit to get write access. There's been changes to the password required for dev mode over the model year of the car. If you can finish that process, the free version of Honda Hack is all you need. Downside is that the process is longer and much more involved.

If you pay for it through autohack.org, you can skip all the above nonsense. The dev has implemented completely automated install over wifi, and the install process is through the web browser. Super easy. I believe this is true for both the Pro and Basic versions. Accessing the web browser also varies by model year, but is still easy.

Basic is all you need for the ability to install the K-Tuner app. I would still recommend (and went with) the Pro version. I'm in the same boat in terms of not wanting to use the head unit for a lot of things, but there's a few subtle changes that are great with Pro. Getting rid of the warning on startup is nice, as is the ability to auto launch an app on start (say, K-Tuner?). I was also surprised by how much I appreciated the auto sound decrease while in reverse.
Thanks for the detailed info. I'll give it a shot and if I can't get it then I'll buy the basics version

OP
OP
jcp227

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Hey I took your advice and ordered the Pro Version and glad I did. It had a lot of extra features that were small but really useful. I got my K Tuner connected. Took awhile after many tries and a few hours of messing with it. Thanks again for your suggestion.

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Hey I took your advice and ordered the Pro Version and glad I did. It had a lot of extra features that were small but really useful. I got my K Tuner connected. Took awhile after many tries and a few hours of messing with it. Thanks again for your suggestion.
Glad it worked out. Hurray for technology :)
Sponsored