What underwhelmed you, disappointed, or just shocked you?

HkDrummer

First Name
Tynan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Viper
Country flag
So I'm curious from the guys who actually have a Type-R. What sorts of features, feel during driving or really anything about the car disappointed you or underwhelmed you once you started driving it after a few days. If there is anything, is it anything that makes you go "hmmm I don't know if i'd buy this car because of it"
Sponsored

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
so far just the electronic brake thing, would prefer to have the normal handle for e-brake

Should't be a problem, it's 2017 . New 911 GT3 also has electric hand brake with manual.

Compare to hand brake I'm more worried about the fuel cap. A normal fuel cap cost $5. Hell knows how many stuff you have to replace if you had a leak.

OP
OP
HkDrummer

HkDrummer

First Name
Tynan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Viper
Country flag
I like it. So far its nothing too bad lol

If I end up buying one this will continue my streak of never test driving a car before I buy it so as long as theres no surprises that are serious I'll be happy!

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a half sec of turbo lag that is noticeable if you are used to NA engines & Ive already bounced the rev limiter twice. Probably more noticeable for me coming straight from a J35Y2 that had instant throttle response. Certainly NOT even close to a deal breaker because once the turbo spools, it's beastly. Only other thing is washing this thing with all the nooks, crannies, wings & crevices. Again, consider the source as I have a CBP & wash once a week. I use a high powered blower to dry it/drive the water out of the hiding places & I still get drips all over it after a drive.

Pretty minor stuff, really. This is easily the best Honda I've ever driven. Chassis, suspension, gear box, seats, brakes, steering, rev-matching & K20C1 are all just brilliant. I took my wife & 2 girls out the other night for a long drive downtown and it was as plush as my Accord in 'Comfort' mode.

It really does make you want to drive forever. I find reasons to drive it.

Edit: the ONLY thing that made me question the purchase (for approximately 30 secs) was that I couldn't get CW. That disappointment evaporated when I saw it in person. Had to tint the windows so I wouldn't be embarrassed by people staring at my perma-grin.

Last edited:

TypeRish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Rsx Type S & 2015 Tlx
A few things that annoyed me about my specific car

- haze spots all over (needed to be polished)
- my gauge cluster looks dirty from the inside of the glass
- alcantara on the driver door arm rest looks faded almost like its been used for several years ( noticed it when i first sat in it at the dealer only had 20 miles)
- the fact it had 20 miles

The car in general i love everything from the seats, brakes, steering, gear box, rev match navi the headlamps.. i dont mind the electric e brake i think its pretty cool actually. I love how the navi transfers over to the digital cluster and gives you step by step directions

I do not like the steering wheel buttons at all.. coming from a Acura Tlx many features are alike but my tlx had awesome steering controls

-

dpaglianite

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
A few things that annoyed me about my specific car

- haze spots all over (needed to be polished)
- my gauge cluster looks dirty from the inside of the glass
- alcantara on the driver door arm rest looks faded almost like its been used for several years ( noticed it when i first sat in it at the dealer only had 20 miles)
- the fact it had 20 miles

The car in general i love everything from the seats, brakes, steering, gear box, rev match navi the headlamps.. i dont mind the electric e brake i think its pretty cool actually. I love how the navi transfers over to the digital cluster and gives you step by step directions

I do not like the steering wheel buttons at all.. coming from a Acura Tlx many features are alike but my tlx had awesome steering controls

-
The car is beast but the exterior effects feel a little fragile, I am really concerned about long term durability. The trim and spoiler don't feel sturdy, a little flimsy and I do wonder how they will hold up. Maybe that is just how all these cars are made now, My Mazda speed 3 was very plastic too.

The seats and console fabrics also concern me a bit from a wear and tear pov, they seem as if sweat and general wear n tear will be more of an issue then a typical interior.

Honda Civic 10th gen What underwhelmed you, disappointed, or just shocked you? Resized_Screenshot_20170712-230404

Honda Civic 10th gen What underwhelmed you, disappointed, or just shocked you? Resized_Screenshot_20170712-230430

romulanvox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord CL7A JDM
Country flag
Is the seat fabric real Alcantara or cloth with a suede feel?

My Recaros with Alcantara have endured more than 10 years of abuse and neglect and are holding up fine, despite the usual wear marks.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
speaking of plastics, i wonder how those shiny black and also the fake CF plastics hold up in a few years.

FK8 Twigs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #01007
Country flag
Is the seat fabric real Alcantara or cloth with a suede feel?

My Recaros with Alcantara have endured more than 10 years of abuse and neglect and are holding up fine, despite the usual wear marks.
They call it "Suede Effect" I think its just cloth. I think they will wear pretty nicely I am not too concerned about it. My 09 STI had similar cloth and it held up pretty well, and that was a light grey cloth which showed everything

FK8 Twigs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #01007
Country flag
As much as I like the look of the steering wheel, it does have a weird shiny feel to it.

OP
OP
HkDrummer

HkDrummer

First Name
Tynan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Viper
Country flag
speaking of plastics, i wonder how those shiny black and also the fake CF plastics hold up in a few years.
Are you talking about the exterior pieces? That was a worry I had as well when I looked at the car. It looked like plastic with a 3M wrap on it. I can't imagine it will fair very well.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
Are you talking about the exterior pieces? That was a worry I had as well when I looked at the car. It looked like plastic with a 3M wrap on it. I can't imagine it will fair very well.
are the red stripes and cf stickers or they painted/etched on?
Sponsored