First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
problem is you can request whatever but how can you know what they actually put in your car? I change my own.

LOL I like to tease some of my family and friends telling them this exactly.

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
problem is you can request whatever but how can you know what they actually put in your car? I change my own.
Well, you can bring in your own oil, ask them to put it in and leave the empty bottle in your car. :)

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, you can bring in your own oil, ask them to put it in and leave the empty bottle in your car. :)
ahhh you is a very wise person...good idea!

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Again it's not hard to swap your synthetic and show you the empty bottle. LOL

Unless you can see what they are doing no way you can tell.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
ahhh you is a very wise person...good idea!
no, they can easily save the good oil you brought in and put shit oil in your car.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
Some people get synthetics with an aim for high PAO content. PAO is by definition synthetic oil, but it's compatibility with additives and detergents is not the best in heavier oil (so, not likely a factor with our 0w-20 recommended). After reading on synthetics, I chose an oil with GTL Group III base stock because of the very good reduced volatility. Lower volatility means less oil loss, reduced accelerated aging of oil, less additive depletion (maintains cleaning ability and pH), better degradation with higher temperatures (turbochargers), and decreased piston and turbocharger deposit build-up. PM me, and I'll tell you the oil I chose.
Please do some research on oils because you are way off base.

There are five groups of oils, Group 1 and Group 2 are conventional oil, Group 3 is also conventional oil but is refined more or as they call it hydro cracked, Group 4 oils are pure synthetics and are the PAO variety and finally you have Group 5 which is all other synthetics not in the PAO Group 4 category.

Group 5 includes ester based synthetics.

Turbine engines require Group 5 synthetic oils due to the high heat they generate and no other oil can withstand the environment except for Group 5 synthetics.

Going back to the Group 3 hydro cracked oils many years ago Mobil filed a complaint against Castrol with the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. Castrol started selling their hydro cracked Group 3 conventional oil as a full synthetic oil. Mobil challenged that hydro cracked oil was not a synthetic oil but just a more refined conventional oil. The National Advertising Division sided with Castrol allowing them to sell their Group 3 conventional hydro cracked oil as a full synthetic.

PAO and Ester based synthetic oils are true synthetic oils with each molecule made in a lab with each molecule being identical to each other in size.

Group 3 conventional hydro cracked oil molecules are not identical in size.

Shell/Pennzoil has developed a gas to liquid process and they define their oil as being between a group 3 conventional hydro cracked and a group 4 synthetic oil. Currently there is one processing plant located in Qatar that makes GTL processed oil. Shell was going to open a second plant here in the United States to process GTL oils but cancelled it.

As for which oil and filter do I use?

I use Redline 0w-20 Group 5 ester synthetic oil in all my vehicles including my 2016 Honda Civic Touring 1.5 Turbo. The oil filter I use is the Royal Purple part number 10-2867.

I recommend using only Group 4 and Group 5 synthetics, I am still not yet sold on the Shell/Pennzoil GTL (gas to liquid) process yet.

Here is some more information on the different groups of oils:

Group IV: PAO
Poly-alpha-olefin (or poly-α-olefin, abbreviated as PAO) is a polymer made by polymerizing an alpha-olefin. They are designated at API Group IV and are a 100% synthetic chemical compound. It is a specific type of olefin (organic) that is used as a base stock in the production of some synthetic lubricants. An alpha-olefin (or α-olefin) is an alkene where the carbon-carbon double bond starts at the α-carbon atom, i.e. the double bond is between the #1 and #2 carbons in the molecule.[4]

Group V: Other Synthetics
Group V base oils are defined by API as any other type of oil other than mineral oils or PAO lubricants.

Esters are the most famous synthetics in Group V, which are 100% Synthetic chemical compounds consisting of a carbonyl adjacent to an ether linkage. They are derived by reacting an oxoacid with a hydroxyl compound such as an alcohol or phenol. Esters are usually derived from an inorganic acid or organic acid in which at least one -OH (hydroxyl) group is replaced by an -O-alkyl (alkoxy) group, most commonly from carboxylic acids and alcohols. That is to say, esters are formed by condensing an acid with an alcohol.

Many chemically different "esters" due to their usually excellent lubricity are used for various reasons as either "additives" or "base stocks" for lubricants. [4]

Semi-synthetic oil
Semi-synthetic oils (also called "synthetic blends") are a mixture of mineral oil and synthetic oil, with no more than 30% synthetic oil, which are engineered to have many of the benefits of full synthetic oil without the cost. Motul introduced the first semi-synthetic motor oil in 1966.[5]

Lubricants that have synthetic base stocks even lower than 30% but with high-performance additives consisting of esters can also be considered synthetic lubricants. In general, the ratio of the synthetic base stock is used to define commodity codes among the customs declarations of tax purposes.

Other base stocks help semi-synthetic lubricants
API Group II- and API Group III-type base stocks help to formulate more economic-type semi-synthetic lubricants. API Group I-, II-, II+-, and III-type mineral-base oil stocks are widely used in combination with additive packages, performance packages, and ester and/or API Group IV poly-alpha-olefins in order to formulate semi-synthetic-based lubricants. API Group III base oils are sometimes considered Fully synthetic, but they are still classified as highest-top-level mineral-base stocks. A Synthetic or Synthesized material is one that is produced by combining or building individual units into a unified entry. Synthetic base stocks as described above are man-made and tailored to have a controlled molecular structure with predictable properties, unlike mineral base oils, which are complex mixtures of naturally occurring hydrocarbons and paraffins.

Last edited:

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
Again it's not hard to swap your synthetic and show you the empty bottle. LOL

Unless you can see what they are doing no way you can tell.
Not sure what you are saying. The oil I will use is rare and not present in the dealership. Swapping it out, pouring some other crappy oil to he engine and giving me the empty bottle does not make sense?

Besides, if you are that paranoid, you can always watch them pour the oil in the engine...

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Please do some research on oils because you are way off base.

There are five groups of oils, Group 1 and Group 2 are conventional oil, Group 3 is also conventional oil but is refined more or as they call it hydro cracked, Group 4 oils are pure synthetics and are the PAO variety and finally you have Group 5 which is all other synthetics not in the PAO Group 4 category.

Group 5 includes ester based synthetics.

Turbine engines require Group 5 synthetic oils due to the high heat they generate and no other oil can withstand the environment except for Group 5 synthetics.

Going back to the Group 3 hydro cracked oils many years ago Mobil filed a complaint against Castrol with the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. Castrol started selling their hydro cracked Group 3 conventional oil as a full synthetic oil. Mobil challenged that hydro cracked oil was not a synthetic oil but just a more refined conventional oil. The National Advertising Division sided with Castrol allowing them to sell their Group 3 conventional hydro cracked oil as a full synthetic.

PAO and Ester based synthetic oils are true synthetic oils with each molecule made in a lab with each molecule being identical to each other in size.

Group 3 conventional hydro cracked oil molecules are not identical in size.

Shell/Pennzoil has developed a gas to liquid process and they define their oil as being between a group 3 conventional hydro cracked and a group 4 synthetic oil. Currently there is one processing plant located in Qatar that makes GTL processed oil. Shell was going to open a second plant here in the United States to process GTL oils but cancelled it.

As for which oil and filter do I use?

I use Redline 0w-20 Group 5 ester synthetic oil in all my vehicles including my 2016 Honda Civic Touring 1.5 Turbo. The oil filter I use is the Royal Purple part number 10-2867.

I recommend using only Group 4 and Group 5 synthetics, I am still not yet sold on the Shell/Pennzoil GTL (gas to liquid) process yet.

Here is some more information on the different groups of oils:

Group IV: PAO
Poly-alpha-olefin (or poly-α-olefin, abbreviated as PAO) is a polymer made by polymerizing an alpha-olefin. They are designated at API Group IV and are a 100% synthetic chemical compound. It is a specific type of olefin (organic) that is used as a base stock in the production of some synthetic lubricants. An alpha-olefin (or α-olefin) is an alkene where the carbon-carbon double bond starts at the α-carbon atom, i.e. the double bond is between the #1 and #2 carbons in the molecule.[4]

Group V: Other Synthetics
Group V base oils are defined by API as any other type of oil other than mineral oils or PAO lubricants.

Esters are the most famous synthetics in Group V, which are 100% Synthetic chemical compounds consisting of a carbonyl adjacent to an ether linkage. They are derived by reacting an oxoacid with a hydroxyl compound such as an alcohol or phenol. Esters are usually derived from an inorganic acid or organic acid in which at least one -OH (hydroxyl) group is replaced by an -O-alkyl (alkoxy) group, most commonly from carboxylic acids and alcohols. That is to say, esters are formed by condensing an acid with an alcohol.

Many chemically different "esters" due to their usually excellent lubricity are used for various reasons as either "additives" or "base stocks" for lubricants. [4]

Semi-synthetic oil
Semi-synthetic oils (also called "synthetic blends") are a mixture of mineral oil and synthetic oil, with no more than 30% synthetic oil, which are engineered to have many of the benefits of full synthetic oil without the cost. Motul introduced the first semi-synthetic motor oil in 1966.[5]

Lubricants that have synthetic base stocks even lower than 30% but with high-performance additives consisting of esters can also be considered synthetic lubricants. In general, the ratio of the synthetic base stock is used to define commodity codes among the customs declarations of tax purposes.

Other base stocks help semi-synthetic lubricants
API Group II- and API Group III-type base stocks help to formulate more economic-type semi-synthetic lubricants. API Group I-, II-, II+-, and III-type mineral-base oil stocks are widely used in combination with additive packages, performance packages, and ester and/or API Group IV poly-alpha-olefins in order to formulate semi-synthetic-based lubricants. API Group III base oils are sometimes considered Fully synthetic, but they are still classified as highest-top-level mineral-base stocks. A Synthetic or Synthesized material is one that is produced by combining or building individual units into a unified entry. Synthetic base stocks as described above are man-made and tailored to have a controlled molecular structure with predictable properties, unlike mineral base oils, which are complex mixtures of naturally occurring hydrocarbons and paraffins.

good information. Thank you for the homework

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I always use pourolator filters and moubile owne oil while I have souuubway.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did a search didn't really find anything on the brand of oil or synthetic or not. I'm thinking Mobil one any thoughts? I have also had good luck with motor craft oil in my 2010.
IMO question is useful if ;

1- You want to keep your car 15 years with 225,000 miles
2- You never had a car before.

I guess most (?) people rent a car for 3 years/ 30,000 miles and rent a new one, so who care about looking for the best oil brand.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Too much agonizing over oil and filter. Not that important if you change every 5 or 6 thousand miles.

I recently sold my old 2003 Accord 4 cylinder manual I bought new 14 years ago. Had 209K miles and was still going strong.

Never used synthetic oil. Used both 5w-20 and 10w-30 along the way. Used mostly cheap Purolator and Walmart Supertech filters.

Bought 5 quart jugs. Put in 4-1/2 quarts at change and usually put in the other 1/2 quart before the next change. Oil consumption was minimal for 5+ thousand miles.

Too much agonizing about oil.

It's just not that important.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Too much agonizing over oil and filter. Not that important if you change every 5 or 6 thousand miles.

I recently sold my old 2003 Accord 4 cylinder manual I bought new 14 years ago. Had 209K miles and was still going strong.

Never used synthetic oil. Used both 5w-20 and 10w-30 along the way. Used mostly cheap Purolator and Walmart Supertech filters.

Bought 5 quart jugs. Put in 4-1/2 quarts at change and usually put in the other 1/2 quart before the next change. Oil consumption was minimal for 5+ thousand miles.

Too much agonizing about oil.

It's just not that important.
I agree with you.
Second car in the family ; 2007 Corolla with 206,500 kms, never need to add oil. I always use synthetic, for more for easy starting in cold Quebec winter and high speed on hyw before warm up. Always buy any good brand is special sale and do my own oil change now at 9,000 kms . Filter; Toyota
Sponsored