Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 CR-V
Country flag
I have owned my CTR when it was introduced to the US in 2017. R-01096. I love this car. It is my first sports car and my first stick shift. I smile every time I drive it. I have taken extremely good care of it. It does not get driven in the winter and goes up in storage during that time. It only has 20,000 miles on it and most are highway. I do not drag race it. It has never been scratched or dented. A few chips of course from road travel, but I cover these immediately. It is washed weekly and I have it claybar coated every year.

I love this car.

Unfortunately, my health is not the best, and I am currently on short term disability. I have been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, narcolepsy, sleep apnea, IBS, among other things. I am a 36 year old electrical engineer. Should my conditions remain the same or get worse, my job will place me on long term disability. This will mean I can no longer afford the payments on the vehicle that I have had for 3 years. It is one of the last few things in life I can actually enjoy, due to the nature of my health. I am attempting to look at alternative routes at making a living, but it is gonna take a little while to completely switch gears and get to that point. I do not want to lose this car. I do not want to sell it. I have never spoiled myself with such a luxury until this vehicle. I do not want to have to trade it in to watch it get sold to some kid who will wreck it racing two weeks later. Obviously, though, I am in a bind.

I have never, ever, ever asked for monetary help from any strangers, for anything ever. My family has always been poor growing up and we learned to rely on ourselves. In the era of useless gofundme campaigns and ones that are meaningful for people who really need it, would putting one up to save this car be selfish? In the past, I would have said "yes, absolutely!", up until I was placed in a position in which one of the last few remaining items that brings me joy might need to be sold. Are there other routes I can go about to keeping the vehicle?

Trust me, if it comes down to staying alive (eating, clothing, utilities, etc) and keeping my house and whatnot I make the smart choice, but I need to buy myself only a bit of time till I get things figured out. I don't know. It has been a rough last few months. This car is one of the few things that keeps me sane. I will take any helpful, realistic, and legal suggestions or advice offered. That's why I'm posting here on a forum with a number of other enthusiasts. You understand this car and what driving one feels like. However, that will be the extend to where a lot of you understand the situation. It took me weeks to build up enough courage to even post this question. I'm not expected a right or wrong here, or to be told what to do, that's my job. I'm looking for suggestions to saving this car. Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
Brad
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Hi, sorry for your predicament. I really cant add much as each person's life goals and wants and needs are different. At the end of the day it is just a car. Other than a means of transportation, in the grand design, it should really not be high on anyone's list as something that is important in life or something that gives life meaning. You have to take care of you first, they will make more cars and better cars as life goes on. None of your listed conditions are life threatening and at a young 36 you have plenty of life to go and get another car once things improve. Take care of you and your family above all else. Like I said it is just a car.

With that said if you are determined to keep it I noticed in your info you own several other cars. Which one you want the most? Could always sell the other two and have enough to make at least a years worth of payments on the R?

Go fund me is a option but I can tell you from the ones I have seen people who usually try to get others to pay for their cars or school loans typically don't do well if not actually gather some ugly comments. The internet is not typically kind to the plight of others.

I wish you the best and I hope it all works out. Side question, How bad is the narcolepsy ? I mean should you even be driving anyway? That is potentially a bad situation for you and other drivers.

hafadaze

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R (#1106)
Country flag
A car is car. It's not your life.

Take care of your health first. Wish you the best!

OP
OP

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 CR-V
Country flag
Hi, sorry for your predicament. I really cant add much as each person's life goals and wants and needs are different. At the end of the day it is just a car. Other than a means of transportation, in the grand design, it should really not be high on anyone's list as something that is important in life or something that gives life meaning. You have to take care of you first, they will make more cars and better cars as life goes on. None of your listed conditions are life threatening and at a young 36 you have plenty of life to go and get another car once things improve. Take care of you and your family above all else. Like I said it is just a car.

With that said if you are determined to keep it I noticed in your info you own several other cars. Which one you want the most? Could always sell the other two and have enough to make at least a years worth of payments on the R?

Go fund me is a option but I can tell you from the ones I have seen people who usually try to get others to pay for their cars or school loans typically don't do well if not actually gather some ugly comments. The internet is not typically kind to the plight of others.

I wish you the best and I hope it all works out. Side question, How bad is the narcolepsy ? I mean should you even be driving anyway? That is potentially a bad situation for you and other drivers.

One of those other vehicles is a former car, the other is my wife's and is paid for 100% but is older. You bring up a very good point about the narcolepsy though. At the moment, I am fine with it and driving. However, with the new medication they will attempt to treat it with, I may become too dizzy to drive. At which point, if I lose my license there is no point to saving the car. I'm not unrealistic there.

I kind of figured about the unkindness to the plight of others, which is why I thought I'd ask here first. Don't get me wrong...internet trolls abound and are unavoidable. I could care less what unreasonable people think. People whoa re willing to have a discussion, much different :D

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
I'm sorry to hear about your health conditions. I can't imagine what you're going through. In regards to the car, if it gets too difficult to make payments, I would think getting rid of it is a smart and responsible decision. The badges on these really don't mean anything unless it's #1 since it's up in the 30k range now. When your situation gets better and can afford to have the car again, there should be plenty available.

Vanct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CTR #20802, GE8 FIT
Country flag
In the short term, yes why not try the GoFund route? If that doesn't pan out, perhaps you can let a trusted friend "borrow" it for a while and pay you the cost/partial cost of the monthly payments for as long as they borrow it. They would essentially be leasing a Type R for a while. Everything stays in your name and you'll avoid tax payments from an alternative situation such as selling it to them for a while and then buying it back. You will really have to trust each other for this to occur.

In the long term, and if you're healthy enough to work and don't want to be on long term disability, would switching to a different company solve this problem? Would your line of work be difficult to find another job in? Also the possibility you may get a pay bump as well.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very sorry to hear about your medical issue, best wishes and prayers for your improvement.
1. Go Fund Me is a good idea. If you focus on medical issues, needing help to get back on your feet,
family obligations, and under no circumstances mention the Type R. Otherwise it comes off as raising money
because you are out of Grey Poupon for your Rolls. Just saying.
2. Look at remote work options, consulting,etc. You have a strong education and skills. You can do this.
3. Yes it is just a car, and more great cars will come along in your life. I have 28 years on you, and have
had to sell some favorite enthusiast models. This will not be your last great car. That said, I get where you are
coming from. I hated having to part with classic roadsters and sports cars.
4. If you even think your condition may threaten your ability to drive safely, stop before something bad happens.

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your health not currently as good as we'd wish. I'm sure you can find alternate work in your field if not consulting.
If not mistaken, albeit er emplyer, you have rights even if disabled. they could accomodate for you. They cannot discriminate against you in the slightest.
Praying your doctor and staff will be able to help you regain your optimum health.
Meanhwile and alterntatively if not long term, real esate could serve you well. Please try this link as they have helped many people.
https://lifestylesunlimited.com/the_five_ways_real_estate_investing_makes_you_money/

I feel for you for our type R's. If only someone you trust near you could carry you over that would be another of my sugestions.
If you were ever in the military, you'd have those resources to reach out to as well.
Keep us posted buddy.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
So, I've not read the whole thread and apologize for any repeats here. First, blessings to you and your family. Second, health is #1 and stress can hurt health further. If selling even for a small loss reduces stress, something to consider.

Idea: this may hurt, but it is an option. There are renting options like TURO: https://turo.com/en-us/list-your-car. This may hurt, but you can keep the car. AND, you can install a ODBII module to insure it is not abused.

Take care, sir, we all wish you the very best.
Sponsored