What should I expect to pay for a 2019 Civic?

Kiki Van

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW M4 2017 Mercedes GLS 450 2012 Hyundai Elantra
Hello everyone,

New member here, and this will be my first Honda. I am looking at a couple different vehicles that my local dealer has in stock and was looking for some opinions on how much discount I will be able to get off msrp. I plan to e mail a bunch of dealers within a certain radius and offer them a price i would like to pay excluding tax title and registration. I just want to be able to give a realistic, fair offer and see who will accept it. The cars that are in stock that I have interest in are as follows:

2019 Civic Sport CVT msrp: $23,145
2019 Civic EX CVT msrp: $24,645

So any thoughts on what I should offer on these two cars would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if it has any influence, but I plan on paying cash and telling the dealer if they agree to my price I will come right down and sign the papers. Thanks in advance for any help/insight you can provide!

Also, out of these 2 is there a clear cut trim that you would absolutely pick over the other? Thanks again.
Sponsored

mechanical42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wife Prius, 2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Since Honda's aren't struggling as much as other manufacturers. Don't expect a huge discount from MSRP. But a good price would be around the invoice price + Destination. From your listed MSRP prices. You are looking at the hatchbacks.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2019-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-Price-c28905

So anything under $22.8k + TTL for the EX
And $21.5k +TTL for Sport
is a decent deal

But always start off $1k lower than this and try to meet in middle.

Cash is no longer king. Going into a dealer/emailing them and saying I will pay full in cash actually hurts your price on the car. They get a substantial bonus if you lease/finance with Honda Financial. Cash is same deal as private loans. Dealer gets no extra kickback.

There is a bigger gap between the Sport and EX trims in the hatchbacks than the sedan/coupe sport that just came out this year.

For hatchbacks. Click on the compare trims and specs near the bottom of the page.
https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hatchback#

It basically boils down to do you want the little extra power, handling, paddle shifters, exterior styling that the sport offers.
Or the more features&comforts of the EX (sunroof, upgraded key fob(remote start, keyless entry, walkway lock), upgraded infotainment, lanewatch, heated seats, dual zone climate, etc)

japan617

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Mechanic42 is right about the cash part. Finance and try and get a 1.9% loan (probably slower then the rate of inflation so you would actually come out ahead. Simple interest loan, no early payoff fees, no pre computed loans. No warranty plans. Call dealers about a car already on the lot and ask for the OTD price and work from there.

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
why not try to scoop up a 18 for even cheaper price? they more than likely have 18 EX-L or EXT left that you could grab for 20.5k or even lower. i grabbed a brand new ex-l silver coupe 17 for 20k last november. i will be doing that strategy next time i need a car because they are desperate to get it off the lot. even the sales manager will bend over to get rid of it and get the bonus. go the last day of the month or last two or three days to give yourself time to think.

OP
OP

Kiki Van

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies and helpful advice. I am thinking of using the current 1.9 financing special that Honda is currently running as a bargaining chip. Going to look for the car I want in their inventory and see what their best price is minus tax title license.

Once I get a price i'm comfortable with I will say I will finance through Honda if I get the 1.9. If not it's no big deal because I can pay cash for the car. It sounds as though they would push for me to get the 1.9 financing since the dealer gets a good benefit from that correct? I think I am in a pretty good bargaining position since I don't need the financing but will gladly take it if I can get it. How does all this sound? Thanks.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Please don't forget to go for a test drive. It sounds like you are addressing the finance side, and that is good, but until you sit/touch/feel/drive the two choices, all you are doing is playing a numbers game. Maybe the seats don't fit you right. Maybe you like having a sunroof or certain items only 1 of the trims offer you. Maybe you need more rear seat legroom than you thought? Maybe there are too many blind spots? Maybe the gauges look like crud? Are you looking at Coupe? Sedan or Hatch?

As for price, there are third party helpers - Costco, sometimes your ins. co etc, that remove the haggle. Truecar too. I always like to get my OTD price to be no more than the MSRP. Sometimes cars are available for less.

Playing dealers against one another is fine.. but also consider where you will have the car serviced? imho, not sure its worth saving $100 to buy at shop x, but never go there again because they are 20 min further away. When you go for that test drive, it gives you a chance to interact not only with the salesperson, but to checkout the dealership too.

OP
OP

Kiki Van

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So Just wondering what your thoughts are on one dealer's offer:

2019 Honda Civic Sedan Sport MSRP: $22,845. The selling price would be $21,366 plus tax title license. What do you guys think? Thanks...

corrado89

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I paid $21,500 for a '19 hatchback EX with no add ons +TTL. You should be able to do way better than 21,366 for a sport. Send that offer to other dealers and ask ask them to beat it.
Sponsored