What other 4-door did you consider besides CTR?

LansocK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ CTR, 15’ STI
Country flag
Traded in a 18’ Golf R mt.
Still own a 15’ STI.

I cross shopped a 340i, Kia Stinger, C43. It just wasn’t the right time to go luxury so I went with another hot hatch. I had an S3 before the Golf R that was had a dsg.

Nothing beats a manual I feel. I have owned two different S2000’s so it was time to go back to a Honda.
Sponsored

Reactions: tsw

EAClarke

First Name
Clarke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Civic Sport Touring
Tesla Model 3

But here’s the kicker, I almost leased a 2018 Nissan Leaf

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I drove a 19 STi, and it was quite nice, but it just seemed heavy in its movements compared to the R. The steering, braking, shifting etc all just seemed to be "harder" to drive if that makes sense. Just not as much fun.

The 17-22mpg rating was the killer for me, I have a ~50mi mix commute every day and the R is considerably better on gas.

Teach-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red CTR #22518; 2017 Golf R
Country flag
I e had the following:
02 WRX
07 Mazdaspeed3
07 STi
12 WRX
14 Focus ST
17 Golf R—currently driving

The Golf R is a great car but it is kind of boring. Even after modding it. I love the outlandish looks of the CTR and it is 7k less than what I paid for the R. I was considering getting the Rs3 but I want to also get my wife a new car and I can’t comfortably do both so I’ll get the CTR and she will get the 19 RDX A-spec

OP
OP

tsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Civic Sport Touring
Tesla Model 3

But here’s the kicker, I almost leased a 2018 Nissan Leaf
Interesting.. because I thought about Honda Clarity for few days at the end of 2018 to get the rebate

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Focus RS and Golf R. Wasn't able to find a Golf R to test drive (no dealers had them when I was shopping), was able to find a Focus RS though. If the Veloster N was around during the time, I'd consider that as well.

My requirements were for a fun, sporty vehicle that was "fast" (not just some cosmetic thing with stiffer suspension) with Apple CarPlay.

EAClarke

First Name
Clarke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Interesting.. because I thought about Honda Clarity for few days at the end of 2018 to get the rebate
Yup the rebate was a huge incentive to me. $14k in Ontario. Calculating insurance savings and gas savings cutting into the lease price, I would have effectively been paying an additional $100 a month for a brand new vehicle lease.

The dealership tried to screw me with the $14k rebate because of the upcoming election and even tell me to take out a line of credit to pay a down payment instead of the $14k rebate. So I laughed at them and told them have fun selling the car without the rebate and walked away with my deposit.

Now I’m just waiting my CTR delivery and couldn’t be happier :)

I’ll go electric when Honda releases an electric civic hatch!

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
I’ve driving my Type R since June 2017, before that I test drove few cars and mostly set on the Golf R. I tested drove one and was not impressed, not even with a tuned one. The Type R is away more entertaining.

Right now, I would consider the RS3 just for tuning purposes & Model 3 performance.

Benyamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Golf R - Too tame and conservative looking
WRX STi - Ancient engine that's desperately due for upgrade
Focus RS - I came very close to purchasing but the interior put me off

diskreet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 BMW M2, 550 Spyder replica, 19 R6, 23 KLX300SM
Country flag
Traded in: 2016 Audi S6

Also considered: Chevy SS

Not much else that will work with a kid and baby, has a manual, and will be much cheaper than the Audi

Edit: I did briefly consider the M2 Competition (too expensive, too heavy), STi , a 2-door like a Camaro (hell no with an infant and 2 year old), and some other odd ball ideas. None of those were serious considerations, but I would love to daily something like a ZL-1 1LE when kids are older.

Last edited:

OP
OP

tsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Traded in: 2016 Audi S6

Not much else that will work with a kid and baby, has a manual, and will be much cheaper than the Audi
How was the S6 ? I don't like the whole VW smog scandal, otherwise they have beautiful sports sedans.
With kids, I also consider crash testing ratings.. which Civics do very well.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Audi S3 - Wanted it until they told me the price 52k
Golf R MK7.5 - wasnt available 42k
Subaru STI - did not liked it when I saw it at the dealership
Focus RS - 40+ got turned down by the headgasket issues
Type R - at MSRP(I did not like it at first but when i saw it in person it got my heart) bought it!

diskreet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 BMW M2, 550 Spyder replica, 19 R6, 23 KLX300SM
Country flag
How was the S6 ? I don't like the whole VW smog scandal, otherwise they have beautiful sports sedans.
With kids, I also consider crash testing ratings.. which Civics do very well.
It was OK. Too expensive for what it was. Super fast, handled fairly well but at over 4000 lbs, it's way too heavy to really be fun. That said, almost 600hp, winter tires, and a torque vectoring AWD system made it a MONSTER in bad weather. It accelerated faster in deep snow than most cars in perfect conditions, and would do beautiful drifts anywhere. Ripped nasty donuts, too. It blew my mind when it put all the power down in pouring rain in 2nd gear all the time.

Here's a bit of the history here. Lots of expensive lessons learned there to come back to realizing that a light, reliable, engaging car is the most fun to drive.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/new-type-r-owner-intro-with-some-interesting-past-cars.31727

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Original: '14 Accord Touring

Since my wife recently got a VW Alltrack, I decided I didn't need the utility and size that the Accord offered. I had my eyes on the CTR for a while. I considered:
CTR
STI
Golf R
Audi S4

I chose the type R because I thought it offered the best value for me at the best price. I have an infant so I still needed 4 door capability and reasonable trunk space which the Type R provides. The Type R was cheaper than all those other vehicles I listed (STI is over $40k if you want GPS, etc). And I simply enjoyed driving it more in my test drives. Audi S4 is a great car but didn't feel like spending all that money up front and the higher maintenance costs going forward.
Sponsored