What other 4-door did you consider besides CTR?

1. LansocK

LansocK Member

Car(s):
    18’ CTR, 15’ STI
    Traded in a 18’ Golf R mt.
    Still own a 15’ STI.

I cross shopped a 340i, Kia Stinger, C43. It just wasn’t the right time to go luxury so I went with another hot hatch. I had an S3 before the Golf R that was had a dsg.

Nothing beats a manual I feel. I have owned two different S2000’s so it was time to go back to a Honda.

tsw thanked this.
  2. EAClarke

EAClarke Member

First Name:
    Clarke
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    Civic Sport Touring
    Tesla Model 3

But here’s the kicker, I almost leased a 2018 Nissan Leaf

tsw thanked this.
  3. jetydosa

jetydosa Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR
    I drove a 19 STi, and it was quite nice, but it just seemed heavy in its movements compared to the R. The steering, braking, shifting etc all just seemed to be "harder" to drive if that makes sense. Just not as much fun.

The 17-22mpg rating was the killer for me, I have a ~50mi mix commute every day and the R is considerably better on gas.

tsw and FifStreet thanked this.
  4. Teach-R

Teach-R Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Rallye Red CTR #22518; 2017 Golf R
    I e had the following:
    02 WRX
    07 Mazdaspeed3
    07 STi
    12 WRX
    14 Focus ST
    17 Golf R—currently driving

The Golf R is a great car but it is kind of boring. Even after modding it. I love the outlandish looks of the CTR and it is 7k less than what I paid for the R. I was considering getting the Rs3 but I want to also get my wife a new car and I can’t comfortably do both so I’ll get the CTR and she will get the 19 RDX A-spec

tsw thanked this.
  5. OP
    tsw

tsw Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda
    Interesting.. because I thought about Honda Clarity for few days at the end of 2018 to get the rebate

6. tinyman392

tinyman392 Senior Member

First Name:
    Marcus
    Car(s):
    '18 Civic Type R (RR)
    Focus RS and Golf R. Wasn't able to find a Golf R to test drive (no dealers had them when I was shopping), was able to find a Focus RS though. If the Veloster N was around during the time, I'd consider that as well.

My requirements were for a fun, sporty vehicle that was "fast" (not just some cosmetic thing with stiffer suspension) with Apple CarPlay.

tsw thanked this.
  7. EAClarke

EAClarke Member

First Name:
    Clarke
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    Yup the rebate was a huge incentive to me. $14k in Ontario. Calculating insurance savings and gas savings cutting into the lease price, I would have effectively been paying an additional $100 a month for a brand new vehicle lease.

The dealership tried to screw me with the $14k rebate because of the upcoming election and even tell me to take out a line of credit to pay a down payment instead of the $14k rebate. So I laughed at them and told them have fun selling the car without the rebate and walked away with my deposit.

Now I’m just waiting my CTR delivery and couldn’t be happier :)

I’ll go electric when Honda releases an electric civic hatch!

8. Night Fury

Night Fury Senior Member

Car(s):
    Black Type R
    I’ve driving my Type R since June 2017, before that I test drove few cars and mostly set on the Golf R. I tested drove one and was not impressed, not even with a tuned one. The Type R is away more entertaining.

Right now, I would consider the RS3 just for tuning purposes & Model 3 performance.

tsw thanked this.
  9. Benyamin

Benyamin New Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR
    Golf R - Too tame and conservative looking
    WRX STi - Ancient engine that's desperately due for upgrade
    Focus RS - I came very close to purchasing but the interior put me off

tsw and zsak thanked this.
  10. diskreet

diskreet Member

Car(s):
    2018 CTR, 2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    #25 diskreet, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Traded in: 2016 Audi S6

Also considered: Chevy SS

Not much else that will work with a kid and baby, has a manual, and will be much cheaper than the Audi

Edit: I did briefly consider the M2 Competition (too expensive, too heavy), STi , a 2-door like a Camaro (hell no with an infant and 2 year old), and some other odd ball ideas. None of those were serious considerations, but I would love to daily something like a ZL-1 1LE when kids are older.

tsw and zsak thanked this.
  11. OP
    tsw

tsw Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda
    How was the S6 ? I don't like the whole VW smog scandal, otherwise they have beautiful sports sedans.
    With kids, I also consider crash testing ratings.. which Civics do very well.

12. FK8_K20c1

FK8_K20c1 HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!

Engineer
    First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    MKV R32, FK8 Type R
    Audi S3 - Wanted it until they told me the price 52k
    Golf R MK7.5 - wasnt available 42k
    Subaru STI - did not liked it when I saw it at the dealership
    Focus RS - 40+ got turned down by the headgasket issues
    Type R - at MSRP(I did not like it at first but when i saw it in person it got my heart) bought it!

tsw thanked this.
  13. diskreet

diskreet Member

Car(s):
    2018 CTR, 2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    It was OK. Too expensive for what it was. Super fast, handled fairly well but at over 4000 lbs, it's way too heavy to really be fun. That said, almost 600hp, winter tires, and a torque vectoring AWD system made it a MONSTER in bad weather. It accelerated faster in deep snow than most cars in perfect conditions, and would do beautiful drifts anywhere. Ripped nasty donuts, too. It blew my mind when it put all the power down in pouring rain in 2nd gear all the time.

Here's a bit of the history here. Lots of expensive lessons learned there to come back to realizing that a light, reliable, engaging car is the most fun to drive.
    https://www.civicx.com/threads/new-type-r-owner-intro-with-some-interesting-past-cars.31727

tsw thanked this.
  14. eshults5

eshults5 Senior Member

First Name:
    Eugene C Shults
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    Original: '14 Accord Touring

Since my wife recently got a VW Alltrack, I decided I didn't need the utility and size that the Accord offered. I had my eyes on the CTR for a while. I considered:
    CTR
    STI
    Golf R
    Audi S4

I chose the type R because I thought it offered the best value for me at the best price. I have an infant so I still needed 4 door capability and reasonable trunk space which the Type R provides. The Type R was cheaper than all those other vehicles I listed (STI is over $40k if you want GPS, etc). And I simply enjoyed driving it more in my test drives. Audi S4 is a great car but didn't feel like spending all that money up front and the higher maintenance costs going forward.

tsw thanked this.