What octane gas does the hatchback LX require?

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The manual only says:

Models without the label "PREMIUM RECOMMENDED"
Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher

Models with the label "PREMIUM RECOMMENDED"
Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher

So I just wanted to confirm which the LX is.
Sponsored

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^^ Great thanks, so 87 for the LX. That's what I thought it most likely was but just wanted to make certain...

fluffyvader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport
Country flag
The LX Hatchback falls under:

Models without the label "PREMIUM RECOMMENDED"
Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher

You are just fine in adding 87 octane into the car.

The Sport and Sport Touring on the other hand, recommend premium fuel but the ECU can adjust on the basis of the fuel you add (i.e. if you add 87 instead of 91 or higher).

Hope this helps
So it is safe to use 87 octane on the sport without any problems? I know you get a loss of power down to 174hp but are there anymore consequences?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So it is safe to use 87 octane on the sport without any problems? I know you get a loss of power down to 174hp but are there anymore consequences?
Ehhh, I wouldn't count on it being down to exactly 174. If it's on a 91 Octane tune, sure the engine has parameters to retard timing when using 87 but the engine on that tune specifically probably makes less than 174 HP while using regular. No one can guarantee the fallback is exactly down to 174...

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Honda reps says: But, regular unleaded fuel is the normal fuel for all hatchback line ups.

There is another video with one of the engineers assigned to the sport and he said the same exact thing.
That's interesting...

fluffyvader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport
Country flag
Ehhh, I wouldn't count on it being down to exactly 174. If it's on a 91 Octane tune, sure the engine has parameters to retard timing when using 87 but the engine on that tune specifically probably makes less than 174 HP while using regular. No one can guarantee the fallback is exactly down to 174...
Lol that's the info from what everyone has been saying in the forums and videos. Since the normal turbocharged engines put out 174 and the sport with premium goes up to 180, then without premium its down to a normal 174.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Lol that's the info from what everyone has been saying in the forums and videos. Since the normal turbocharged engines put out 174 and the sport with premium goes up to 180, then without premium its down to a normal 174.
That's an assumption that's rarely true. If there was a specific backup 87 tune for the engine, Honda would explicitly market the 91 tune with the 180 HP number but also say that running regular will bring it back to the default sedan/coupe tune. Mazda markets the CX-9 with 250 HP on 91 and 227HP on 87. Honda's saying 180 on 91 recommended and regular at your own risk. With that said, that suggests a retard failsafe for the timing with no specific consideration to mileage or horsepower numbers from the engineers. What happens, happens...

My friend's ILX 2.4 dynoed at 170 HP at the wheels running on 87 when it's rated at 201 crank from the factory. Hardly a number that you can attribute specifically to a lesser tune. It didn't go back to an Accord tune or any number specific to a factory K engine.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have the lx and been running 91 octane since my 3rd full tank and neveer got back to regular....all i must say my car love it and 640km on a full tank of gas for 45$ is tottally worth it to me ;)

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Someone posted here that if you fill the non sport model with 91, it will also net you 180hp.