What kind of total range are you guys seeing on a full tank?

How many miles do you usually see from a full tank?

• < 150 miles

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 150-200 miles

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • 200-250 miles

Votes: 37 22.8%
  • 250-275 miles

Votes: 27 16.7%
  • 275-300 miles

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • 300-325 miles

Votes: 23 14.2%
  • 325 miles+

Votes: 24 14.8%

• Total voters

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know it’s Winter, but ever since I started tracking my fuel economy with Fuelly I was shocked at just how little miles it seemed I was getting on a full tank with the CTR. I don’t normally like to run until the low fuel light (the one that pops up at <30 miles estimated remaining, excluding the spare reserve once the needle hits E), but I feel like that’s the only way to get more than 250 miles or so on a tank.

I usually got like 390ish on my last Coupe, but I am getting 100-150 miles less on the CTR. I didn’t think a 10mpg difference amounted to so much!

One of my chief complaints with this car is the fuel tank size (12.39 gal) is so small. I know why (weight savings), but man just 2 or so extra gallons would be great.

What are you guys seeing? Also, this is assuming you don’t literally eek out every last bit of fuel (like to the point of risking running out of gas), unless you are that type of person I guess :eek:
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i get right around 200 but i don't really drive conservatively nor usually drive in long empty freeways. I usually fill up a little bit before the light turns on though. If i wait, i'd probably be somewhere around 220-250.

The gas tank is this size because the car is based off of a civic and it just uses the same tank. It's not because of weight savings lol.
if you think about it, a 10mpg difference x 11 gallons would equate to 110 miles so yeah, it can make a pretty big difference in your overall range.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
10 mpg is a huge difference. its the difference between our car and a regular civic. We're 8 mpg higher than an STI and people consider those to be guzzlers.

I fill up at around quarter tank and never seen 300 on the trip. like boosted its probably around 200-220 when I fill up.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I personally love the size of the fuel tank. I still fill up once per week like I did with my previous car. I have no need for more fuel. Refilling takes a whole 3.5 minutes since I have a fuel station very close by.

Filling up every 6-7 days is no biggie. Quick and easy and back on my way.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
10 mpg is a huge difference. its the difference between our car and a regular civic. We're 8 mpg higher than an STI and people consider those to be guzzlers.

I fill up at around quarter tank and never seen 300 on the trip. like boosted its probably around 200-220 when I fill up.
Yeah I think the only other hot hatch that gets as good if not slightly better fuel economy if I’m right is the Golf R? I imagine the DSG would give you the best possible compared to the 6spd.

I personally love the size of the fuel tank. I still fill up once per week like I did with my previous car. I have no need for more fuel. Refilling takes a whole 3.5 minutes since I have a fuel station very close by.

Filling up every 6-7 days is no biggie. Quick and easy and back on my way.
My last car I could get 8 about 9 days without needing to refuel, but with the CTR I’m definitely only able to go 4 or at most 5 depending on when I least refueled and how much I use the car.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I think the only other hot hatch that gets as good if not slightly better fuel economy if I’m right is the Golf R? I imagine the DSG would give you the best possible compared to the 6spd.

My last car I could get 8 about 9 days without needing to refuel, but with the CTR I’m definitely only able to go 4 or at most 5 depending on when I least refueled and how much I use the car.
And running flex fuel/ethanol tune probably drops that interval down to every 3-4 days. That’s why I didn’t bother with it and sold my brand new kit. I hate going to the pump.

I get around 20 mpg in the winter and slightly better in the summer. And refuel around 190 miles on Trip A, granny shifting the whole time.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Over the winter I normally see 25.5-26.5 MPG if I drive like I normally do in the summer (which gets me 26.5-27.5 MPG). However, if I have found that if I don't go nearly as fast on the expressways (75 -> 70) I can increase my MPG by about 1.5 (I was expecting better, but not that much better).

I normally fill up with a quarter tank left so my ranges were normally anywhere from 235-245 miles in the winter, or 245-255 in the summer. Lately (winter) driving extremely conservatively I've been able to do 250-260. Note on a full tank of gas (to run empty) this would mean 315-320 (winter normal), 320-340 (summer normal), and 335-350 (winter extremely conservative), respectively. Subtract 1 MPG from this number if I start hooning around every so often.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I'll repost a relevant post I recently made:

I hate the small gas tank as well. How you fill can help though. Gasoline expands as it heats, but before it expands, your tank can hold a bit more. So, if you KNOW you will drive 20 miles after you fill, you can top-off about 0.5 gallons and you'll burn it before you park and the gas expands. (I only do about 0.3-0.4, but 0.5 should be fine.) This way you can get up to 15 highway miles extra per tank.

Also, you have about 1.7 gallons at zero range, so you can go about 42 miles past zero range if you're getting 25 mpg (real 25 mpg, probably 27 mpg indicated on dash because the dash lies a little). I'm comfortable going about 15 miles past zero range, but don't do it regularly (I usually fill at zero to 10 miles left on range).

Between the two techniques above, I can go past 300 miles on a tank occasionally, but regularly I do 275-290 without trying to conserve fuel with driving technique.

Obviously well-inflated tires also helps, but will decrease grip. Find a good compromise. Otherwise I don't think there's much to do to increase fuel economy because the car already gets better gas mileage than everything in its class (Focus RS/STI/Golf R, yes Golf R, the epa is higher on the golf R, but real world says it's worse -> magazines and fuelly.com)

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I daily drive my R, lots of stop and go. I run my low fuel down to 0 miles remaining on every tank (I've never actually ran out of fuel, it seems the 0 mile remaining mark means there is ~1 gallon left in the tank).

I fill up on average once a week, right around 250 miles per tank. I know there has been folks on the forum who complain about the fuel tank being too small, but IMO, I wouldn't make it any bigger than the 12.4 gallons and would actually be OK with an even smaller tank. Just my two cents...

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
I'm usually seeing about 289 when I fill my tank. I average about 25 mpg with most of my driving being on the highway. For whatever reason I can't get anything above 25.6 if my life depended on it on the highway.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
300-330 total miles with stop and go driving.
Damn... how hard to you drive to consistently get 300 miles out of the tank? Run to empty or?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'm usually seeing about 289 when I fill my tank. I average about 25 mpg with most of my driving being on the highway. For whatever reason I can't get anything above 25.6 if my life depended on it on the highway.
Try going in comfort mode - but when on the highway keep it above 3k RPM's - smaller engines like this are most efficient around that range. When I was driving it back from Louisiana when I bought it, I was averaging 28mpg when keeping in that range on the trip.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Try going in comfort mode - but when on the highway keep it above 3k RPM's - smaller engines like this are most efficient around that range. When I was driving it back from Louisiana when I bought it, I was averaging 28mpg when keeping in that range on the trip.
I'm in comfort mode majority of the time, but will try to keep the RPMs above 3k. I usually shift at 3k or below when I'm cruising. It's a habit that I developed from driving Evo Xs for 11 years to save gas since boost kicked in at 3k. I'm probably in sport mode 2-3 times a week for short periods of time as I typically only drive the car 5 days out the week.
Sponsored