What kind of car did you come from and how does it compare?

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
2016 wrx. Dollar for dollar, the wrx edges out the ctr. This only applies if your metric is strictly performance and not creature comforts and amenities. Is the ctr a better car? Absolutely.
I previously had a 2011 WRX, and the biggest deficiencies of the Subaru were the harsh ride, tire noise, balky clutch and shifter, and poor mileage--yes, it was a super reliable vehicle and it was fun to drive at high RPM, but the CTR is just so much more civilized, easier to drive fast, and it's fun to drive slow. But for almost $10k more, the CTR should be a better car than the WRX, and it is clearly is, as well as the STI too-
Sponsored

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
Came from a 996TT and previous to that a E90 M3/03 S2000. I know this will sound weird but from a fun to drive department the FK8 blows the 996TT out of the water in my opinion. Sure the 996 had a ton more power but it wasnt usable until I was well over the speed limit on most roads. The FK8 rides better, has better seats, better brakes and shifter so I dont miss the 996 at all.

The E90 is probably the one car I miss the most still. The steering is better than the Civic and the exhaust note is amazing. The ride quality is on par as well. Civic's brakes/shifter are far superior however.

I do miss the AP1 from time to time but the lack of torque kinda was a downer and it wasnt very practical.

In any case its nice to have a car under warranty and that I dont have to constantly look over my shoulder for repairs. Also helps being a Honda fanboy too haha.

moonman

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R GT (FK8, 2018)
Country flag
Came from a black 1990 CRX (I think you know it as the DOHC ZC engine version) and a white 2008 Civic Hybrid.
The R is another universe, of course. I owned the CRX for 20 Years and the Hybrid for 10 Years. It was time to clear the garage. Switch to one vehicle, sporty and economical at the same time :)
I tracked the CRX since 2002, but only 1 or 2 times a year. Not yet tracked the CTR. Driving the CRX, the car was the limiting factor, no ABS, no ESP, no Powersteering, no locking differential, little power but little weight. Real fun on smaller tracks with not so narrow turns. In Dijon (France), one turn going up the hill was always a pain. Second gear and hitting the limiter or 3rd gear and no power at all. Besides the spinning inner wheel all the time.

This would be a blast with the CTR.
But I'm a little bit afraid of tracking the CTR. I need to be very careful since the power is almost tripled compared to the CRX. And the handling of course! So, cornering speed will be on another level. Everything happens while going a lot faster than ever.

OP
OP

RajjyP

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Came from a 996TT and previous to that a E90 M3/03 S2000. I know this will sound weird but from a fun to drive department the FK8 blows the 996TT out of the water in my opinion. Sure the 996 had a ton more power but it wasnt usable until I was well over the speed limit on most roads. The FK8 rides better, has better seats, better brakes and shifter so I dont miss the 996 at all.

The E90 is probably the one car I miss the most still. The steering is better than the Civic and the exhaust note is amazing. The ride quality is on par as well. Civic's brakes/shifter are far superior however.

I do miss the AP1 from time to time but the lack of torque kinda was a downer and it wasnt very practical.

In any case its nice to have a car under warranty and that I dont have to constantly look over my shoulder for repairs. Also helps being a Honda fanboy too haha.
Interesting to hear!

OP
OP

RajjyP

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
With all the new owners I thought this was worth a bump.

ep3_lol

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Lincoln Navigator L, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've had a lot of different vehicles, but the last sporty street car I had was a 2016 Miata Club. I'll just paste what I said about it earlier in another thread.

ep3_lol said:
The Miata was fantastic in pretty much every way, but I also had a Boxster at the time and the two cars were just redundant so I decided to get rid of one and the Miata went.

Compared to the CTR...I mean, they are totally different vehicles. The CTR is much more capable, but the Miata edges it out in the "fun" department in pretty much every way until you put your right foot down. The steering feel and driving dynamics of the ND are absolutely phenomenal, while they are merely excellent in the CTR. With the low weight, skinny tires, and short wheelbase, that Miata was much more "tossable". And while the shifter in the CTR is excellent, it's even better in the Miata. That car was just more fun to drive at, ahem, responsible speeds. As your speed increases, the CTR is much more confidence inspiring and easier to drive, which makes up for some of the shortcomings (compared to the Miata) here.

Ergonomically, Honda ought to be embarrassed. The Civic, and thus the Type R, is just complete crap in this area compared to the Miata and pretty much all of Mazda's contemporary vehicles. Everything, and I mean everything you touch in the Miata feels nice, even on the base model. Things are laid out in a logical way and the little knob you use to get around the infotainment system is worlds better than any system that requires you to touch the screen. The CTR seats are better though, of course. Not that ergonomics are terribly important for these types of vehicles, but the Civic's stick out like a sore thumb after Miata ownership.

jmartin

Rouleur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ctr 2015 Challenger srt 2016 Yamaha R1m 2002 Gmc Lifted Duramax
I have a 2015 srt Challenger with upgrades. It’s the exact opposite of my ctr. Double the power and actually hooks up. Handling and cornering is light years behind the Ctr. But the exhaust note and whipple is intoxicating in the Srt. I love both cars but thinking in a couple year will sell both for a Zl1 and will only need one car.

Last edited:

Ctrnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai veracruz, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz, and I had a 2006 Honda Civic Si before. The Type R gave me back my love for sporty hatches, and its just a dream :)

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I have a 2015 srt Challenger with upgrades. It’s the exact opposite of my ctr. Double the power and actually hooks up. Handling and cornering is light years behind the Ctr. But the exhaust note and whipple is intoxicating in the Srt. I love bought cars but thinking in a couple year will sell both for a Zl1 and will only need one car.
Please get it with the 1LE package!

TheSnotRocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 CTS-V, 2016 ATS-V, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Not really come from as this is an additional daily driver.... 1000hp CTS-V road race car, C63AMG daily , ATS-V daily and a 7.3 Excursion for towing and kid duty are in the current drive pool along with the CTR. Kid drives an 18 Civic Touring. I've had a ton of cars before this, mostly US domestic. 2000TransAm road race car, C5 Z06, C6, Cayman R, S550... those are the notable ones anyway.

dnnymdna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
had a 2006 Chevy Malibu. Was a work car before my old man got his hands on it, who then handed it to me after i lost my corolla. Malibu had almost 200k on it of miles. Doesn’t help that i drove just as much as whoever owned it before us. Was such a reliable drive and amazingly smooth ride. But with that many miles, the maintainability just felt tiring. Then one day, it sounded like a very low sounding muffler was on my car, and come to find out my exhaust manifold cracked completely down the middle. Or the gasket, i forget. Either way, would’ve cost a good chunk out of pocket to get it fixed. And i had already had issues with my fuel pump going bad.

Went to Galpin Honda with my buddy to just bite the bullet and a few hours later, traded my Malibu for $500, as i didn’t want to deal with selling it and smog checking it, and walked away with a 2017 Civic LX with less than 9600 miles on it. Awesome price w/ GAP insurance included. Safe to say i am very happy with my purchase. Absolutely in love with my LX

xcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
I came from a 2016 Civic VTi so the CTR blows it way.
I knew the 10th Gen Civic was the car for me so it only made sense to purchase one with more power :)

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
2007 VW GTI 2-Door.

The GTI was like...young, skinny Barry Bonds. Good player for sure.

The CTR is like prime, horse steroids, Barry Bonds. Like....intentional walk with 2 men on Barry Bonds.

The 2 extra doors are nice as well.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Not really come from as this is an additional daily driver.... 1000hp CTS-V road race car, C63AMG daily , ATS-V daily and a 7.3 Excursion for towing and kid duty are in the current drive pool along with the CTR. Kid drives an 18 Civic Touring. I've had a ton of cars before this, mostly US domestic. 2000TransAm road race car, C5 Z06, C6, Cayman R, S550... those are the notable ones anyway.
How is the Ats treating you? I had one for a year but it turned out to be a lemon with Gm rebuilding and then replacing the engine. I loved the car but ended up with the R as GM left me mad on how they treated the situation.

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still own my 2006 Toyota Corolla. The CTR is my first manual, and it's certainly been an experience learning to drive it. In terms of the ride experience, it's night and day with more comfortable seats, the infotainment system compared my Corolla's basic stereo head unit, etc. That's probably mostly a product of upgrading from a 12-year-old car to a brand new one, but still. From a driving perspective, it's even more different. As soon as I hit 2nd gear, the CTR just takes off. Driving my old Corolla to work every day now just feels sluggish. I definitely don't feel like driving a manual in rush hour traffic, especially not given my barely-competent level of proficiency with it, but I still miss my CTR when I'm driving the Corolla.
Sponsored