What kind of car did you come from and how does it compare?

RajjyP

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m thinking about making the jump to a Type R, never had a honda, never had a FWD car. Just curious what kinds of rides you guys have had previously and how they compare. I’d be coming from a 2014 S6.
Sponsored

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2010 Acura TL 6-speed. AWD, 305 bhp, some mods done to it. While owning the TL I pretty much figured I didn't need or want anything else until it gave up on me. And I don't generally keep cars forever, in fact this TL was the longest-lived car in my garage, ever. It was quick (not fast per se), fun to drive with KTuner and some mods, handled well with AWD, and was sharp while being comfortable with plenty of room and a really nice stereo.

The R, and being able to drive both back to back, is a shocking experience. Where the TL felt sharp and quick, the R takes each feeling up three, four levels. If the R was a scalpel, the TL is now a butterknife. The R truly does it all - comfort and ease of driving whenever you want it, or a car that will absolutely force you to focus and appreciate the act of driving a car. You feel everything, but you don't mind. Every little input to the steering can matter (+R mode) but I love it. It takes pretty easily to mods, doesn't really require much at all though, and has somehow managed to be both pleasant to drive on a nice easy errand to the grocery store as it is heading out early in the morning on your favorite crazy roads.

Insurance is cheap (for me), tires can be remedied simply, I'd suggest paint protection if you're coming from an Audi - Honda paint is thin and flimsy but whatever, this isn't meant to be a show queen.

Just IMO, but especially coming from what was probably Honda's best offering after the S2k and prior to the R, but the R is in a completely different league and makes the driving experience something you remember and want to go experience again.

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
I came from a 2017 Accord Touring which is not even in the same class. I do miss some of the luxuries that the Accord provided on a day to day basis, but for the overall enjoyment that the Type R gives me, I can do without. My prior car to that, a 2015 Fiesta ST was a fun little car and I miss it some days. But the Type R is that car multipled by 100. And it's more functional as a hatch than the ST was.

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I came from a 2016 Accord Touring V6. Similar to Will Solo, "some" of the luxuries are missed and comfort. My kids miss the extra room and heated seats in the back :p

But it's a completely different car. And I chose the CTR, over going the S7 route. Now I just need to upgrade my wifes car to an S7, and everyone is happy (or maybe just me :dunno:)

I couldn't be happier, the car has exceeded all of my expectations.

uhhhson

First Name
jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TACOMA, 2015 EVO X, 2018 CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
I have owned sti’s, evo’s, s2k, brz, cobalt ss, srt-4, and my wife has a final edition eco x. Honestly I would say stock vs. stock all those cars were less superior to the type r. The driving experience is more enjoyable and I feel it out performs those cars in almost all categories. The con to the type r is getting out the hole with fwd, that being said I don’t drag race my car so it’s never really an issue. It pulls a lot harder too end than my wife’s evo but feels nicer/more modern.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000, 2016 WRX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
2016 wrx. Dollar for dollar, the wrx edges out the ctr. This only applies if your metric is strictly performance and not creature comforts and amenities. Is the ctr a better car? Absolutely.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I came from a 2016 ATS-V which was an excellent performer and up to this date never owned a fwd car until the R. Past cars were mainly awd like the Evo and sti and currently also have a srt Jeep and a turbo s2000. I can say that the R is as every bit as fun as any of the others I have had. Yes you can feel a little of the fwd tendencies since being use to rwd and awd cars but honestly for a daily it doesn’t bother me. Coming from a s6 you will probably miss the sheer thrust from especially if tuned but the agility you will gain will more than make up for it. Remember though it’s a honda and the interior will nowhere be as nice as the Audi But another benefit is it’s a Honda, it will be considerably cheaper to maintain than any Audi or Cadillac in my case. Good luck with your hunt

uhhhson

First Name
jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TACOMA, 2015 EVO X, 2018 CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
Ha ha all the hatch space

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Last car was an 05 RSX Type S, with just boltons and suspension. The CTR is superior in every way except in looks and sound. There’s just something about the naturally aspirated VTEC crossover and the 05/06 Type S aged well; they still look good today. Otherwise the CTR is hands down the superior car (performance, practicality, fun).

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
2015 WRX.

I was actually in the market to buy a 2017 WRX STi which dealers were STILL trying to slap ADM on, especially in Seattle. When I saw what the status was of the CTR, and how praised it was, I thought REAL hard about buying into a platform with an aging engine, and decided to give the CTR a shot. Very happy I did so, and glad I didn't wind up with a Subaru again as I had issues with the dealers around Seattle, and I disliked the interior greatly, as well as the WRX transmission (the STi transmission is fantastic comparatively, but the CTR's is still even better).

E: Not sure what happened with the quoting....

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
civic si 2014....night and day

OP
OP

RajjyP

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for the contributions to this thread guys, I think its always interesting to see where people come from (in cars and anything else!)
Sponsored