First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I was driving home, pulling up to one of my turns in 6th gear. I slowed to about 1000 RPMs and pulled the car out of 6th.

I slowed to about 15 mph, started to turn, put the car in 3rd, (3rd starts at about 15 mph, I normally always take turns this way)

I then released the clutch smoothly, applied slight throttle, and the weirdest thing possible happened:

The tachometer stayed at about 900-1000 RPMs. With throttle, the speedometer went up, (but the tach stayed the same). The car didn't feel like it was going any faster. Since I was observing, I stayed in this for about 8 seconds, to feel for any slippage, while modulating throttle. Only the speedometer changed. The tach is still reading 900-1000 at this time.

I pulled out of gear, pumped the clutch a few times, put it back in third, and it engaged it normally. I drove through the gears and it felt normal. I came to a complete stop, then drove back through the gears: all normal. I did 2 or 3 wide open pulls from 3rd to 4th all the way to 5500 RPMs. Normal. I got the car to 30 MPH, pressed in the clutch, let the RPMs fall to idle, and released the clutch. Tach rose and the car engaged 3rd normally.

All normal.

While I was in this weird state of whatever happened, it sounded like the sound that rocks make when your tires kick them up into the bottom of your car. (Could have just been rocks, but i feel this is noteworthy.)

What the hell happened!?
Sponsored

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Must be a glitch as obviously if you were gaining speed the clutch was grabbing.

OP
OP

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Must be a glitch as obviously if you were gaining speed the clutch was grabbing.
But I'm not actually sure the car was gaining speed.. I think only the speedo was changing.. Although maybe it was a glitch and the tach not moving just through me off. You could be right.

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
We're you on a gravel road? Sounds like you were peeling out for the 8 seconds. How hard were you pressing on the gas?

OP
OP

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We're you on a gravel road? Sounds like you were peeling out for the 8 seconds. How hard were you pressing on the gas?
Im very aware of whether I'm peeling out and I definitely wasn't. I was on a regular road. I was about 20% throttle, the rpm's weren't rising, but the speedo was. It got to about 30 before I let off, pushed the clutch in, and put it back in 3rd. The rpm's then caught up and it felt normal again. I can't remember if I heard the engine rev up during this time or not. I just kept trying to modulate the throttle (5%-15%) so the clutch would grab because I thought it was just slipping very bad.

A similar thing happened when I was teaching a friend how to drive manual in the same car.

He released the clutch and the car started going forward. The rpm's dropped to below idle but the car was still coasting forward as if the clutch engaged just fine. It didn't die or anything

I think its time for a clutch master 350

Last edited:

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
Maybe you just missed and were in 5th. RPMs would stay low.

Either way it doesn't sound like you have a clutch problem. Your RPMs would be shooting up and your mph would not change. So the oposite

OP
OP

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe you just missed and were in 5th. RPMs would stay low.

Either way it doesn't sound like you have a clutch problem. Your RPMs would be shooting up and your mph would not change. So the oposite
That's what I was thinking. I didn't even think about accidentally shifting to 5th. Probably the best explanation tbh. Typical misshifting honda driver

Still slightly worried but that's some relief. I just don't normally miss shift which is weird but I guess its completely possible

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about it.

Only other explanation is a tachometer error. But that is pretty unlikely. Just enjoy the car. Doesn't sound like clutch slipping

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Something like this happened to me when I had the cruise on I turned off the cruise and downshifted then the mph went up to like 80mph. But the rpms didn't move. It happened 2 times I thought I was crazy when it first happened.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Sounds to me like you were in 5th gear and lugged the engine a bit.

Just my opinion I suppose, but putting the car in 3rd gear at 15mph seems like too high of a gear for that speed... Do your car a favor and use 2nd for right turns.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Sounds to me like you were in 5th gear.

Just my opinion I suppose, but putting the car in 3rd gear at 15mph seems like too high of a gear for that speed... Do your car a favor and use 2nd for right turns.
I was going to say the same thing.... 15 MPH + 3rd gear = lugging the engine and going nowhere.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
So I was driving home, pulling up to one of my turns in 6th gear. I slowed to about 1000 RPMs and pulled the car out of 6th.

I slowed to about 15 mph, started to turn, put the car in 3rd, (3rd starts at about 15 mph, I normally always take turns this way)

I then released the clutch smoothly, applied slight throttle, and the weirdest thing possible happened:

The tachometer stayed at about 900-1000 RPMs. With throttle, the speedometer went up, (but the tach stayed the same). The car didn't feel like it was going any faster. Since I was observing, I stayed in this for about 8 seconds, to feel for any slippage, while modulating throttle. Only the speedometer changed. The tach is still reading 900-1000 at this time.

I pulled out of gear, pumped the clutch a few times, put it back in third, and it engaged it normally. I drove through the gears and it felt normal. I came to a complete stop, then drove back through the gears: all normal. I did 2 or 3 wide open pulls from 3rd to 4th all the way to 5500 RPMs. Normal. I got the car to 30 MPH, pressed in the clutch, let the RPMs fall to idle, and released the clutch. Tach rose and the car engaged 3rd normally.

All normal.

While I was in this weird state of whatever happened, it sounded like the sound that rocks make when your tires kick them up into the bottom of your car. (Could have just been rocks, but i feel this is noteworthy.)

What the hell happened!?
Unless I am going 30 MPH into a turn, I always go into 2nd. Sounds like you were lugging the engine

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
At 15mph I am usually in 1st or just switched to 2nd gear. I had to go out of my way today and make myself shift INTO 3rd gear at 15mph, holy hell it was way too early and the revs were close to idle. I wont be doing that again, even if the manual suggests a shift at that speed, its just not worth the extra 1 or 2 mpg that would give.

OP
OP

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
15 mph in my car is about 1100 RPM. I do not hard accelerate out, just a smooth slight accel until about 20-25. I just can't heel toe in this car so its hell to rev match to 2nd while braking for the turn

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Sorry, I'm from the Type-R section just browsing around.

Try and stall the car out by lugging it around in say 2nd or 3rd. You might be lugging it at a low RPM enough that your triggering this.

Just a thought, but try and stall it out but don't actually stall it out (keep it alive).

The idle control on these cars are the weirdest I've ever felt.
Sponsored