ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Couple Energy Green
Country flag
Ok, Galaxy S8, Mint mobile and Android OS 9. I have no issues with making calls nor hearing anyone. However, most will say they hear a lot of noise on their end, like there are many people talking in the background, one over another. Any ideas? My phone works without issue when not connected not used through the car and yep, I did reset my phone and reset the head unit as well in the car. (2018 Civic Si Coupe.)
Sponsored

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
All these folks and no one can help? Oh well. :D
It sounds like either the car speaker or the phone speaker is picking up whatever the other person is saying and repeating it back. Only thing I could think of trying is turning down the call volume in the car so the person talking to you isn't quite as loud and perhaps will reduce the issue.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
I have to turn off my ac blower when i use my car to make calls. Everyone complained of background noise until i started doing this

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have to turn off my ac blower when i use my car to make calls. Everyone complained of background noise until i started doing this
Maybe I will turn off the fans to see if that helps the next time, thanks.

danmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 CR-V EX, '17 Civic Touring, '14 Ford Explorer
Country flag
For the person on the other end of the call (the person not in the car), do they report sort of an "underwater" sound? Like maybe the sound of being in a dishwasher or something? Or perhaps the sound of someone turning up that sort of noise during every pause between words or sentences or while listening? We had a terrible time with that in my wife's 2017 civic touring. The speaker phone was essentially unusable. Her Dad couldn't understand her and I couldn't get off the phone fast enough if she called from the car (and I *like* talking to my wife). It was *way* worse than any of the 15 different rental cars we had driven over the last few years and *way* worse than a $70 aftermarket radio with hands free mic in our '98 CR-V. We had 2 different dealers try to claim it was just normal road noise. It wasn't. We finally went back again (for about the 4th or 5th time) and told them we were leaving the car (still under warranty) and not picking it back up until they fixed it. We had tried complaining directly to Honda and were told that they wouldn't do anything unless the complaint came from a dealer. So... the dealer ended up replacing the whole electronics unit. And amazingly for the last 2 days the problem has been gone. What I don't know is why this fixed it. I can think of at least 3 possibilities. 1) there was failed or faulty by design hardware between the microphone and where the signal gets digitized. 2) the new electronics unit has different firmware and/or software 3) reset user settings. Not sure which but we have talked about 30-40 minutes now and it is clearly much much better. We haven't had a chance to try with wipers going yet. We'll see if it stays fixed. Anyway, I suggest not taking "no" for an answer and if the vehicle is under warranty then really push on the dealer. One thing I wish I had done is to make recordings from our home phone of what it sounded like under a controlled situation. For example go out at night without traffic and drive at a known speed on a known section of highway. The dealer claimed to not be able to reproduce it but I suspect they didn't bother pairing a phone and then driving while having someone on the other end listen. We had this problem with 3 different Samsung Galaxy S-8 android phones both when using bluetooth to connect and when using android auto over usb to connect. Good luck. It is frustrating for sure. This is our 7th and last Honda. The voice commands for USB audio still don't work, never have.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you're on the right path through troubleshooting. Try with someone else's phone. If it still does it, the issue is your car's connection, microphone, or wiring. If it doesn't do it, the isue is with your phone connecting via BT.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i use the same setup. s8 and 18si.
android auto plugged in. the mic filtering is not very good in these at best.
the fans off helps a lot.
never had the underwater sound unless there was a cable issue.
it is very picky about good usb cables to the car.
get an expensive braided one and see if it fixes it.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
I would definitely say do not accept the issue if it keeps happening. I know these units are not supposed to be that bad. I did a test call to a couple of people when I was able to get ahold of a 2018 sport touring model. Both people said the call was as if I was calling directly from my phone (basically they thought it was very clear for car audio), so I don't think any excessive background noise should be an issue. I even had the heater running at the time. I used the USB cable that came with my Samsung galaxy phone as well.

Hopefully you were able to get it worked out :)

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like you're on the right path through troubleshooting. Try with someone else's phone. If it still does it, the issue is your car's connection, microphone, or wiring. If it doesn't do it, the isue is with your phone connecting via BT.
I dropped the car off on Wednesday and they gave me a loaner for a couple of days. They replaced the microphone and now everyone can hear me without a problem. However, I am told by the ones I called that there is still background noise well I am driving and therefore, I will call the dealership on Monday to see what they say, thanks.

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For the person on the other end of the call (the person not in the car), do they report sort of an "underwater" sound? Like maybe the sound of being in a dishwasher or something? Or perhaps the sound of someone turning up that sort of noise during every pause between words or sentences or while listening? We had a terrible time with that in my wife's 2017 civic touring. The speaker phone was essentially unusable. Her Dad couldn't understand her and I couldn't get off the phone fast enough if she called from the car (and I *like* talking to my wife). It was *way* worse than any of the 15 different rental cars we had driven over the last few years and *way* worse than a $70 aftermarket radio with hands free mic in our '98 CR-V. We had 2 different dealers try to claim it was just normal road noise. It wasn't. We finally went back again (for about the 4th or 5th time) and told them we were leaving the car (still under warranty) and not picking it back up until they fixed it. We had tried complaining directly to Honda and were told that they wouldn't do anything unless the complaint came from a dealer. So... the dealer ended up replacing the whole electronics unit. And amazingly for the last 2 days the problem has been gone. What I don't know is why this fixed it. I can think of at least 3 possibilities. 1) there was failed or faulty by design hardware between the microphone and where the signal gets digitized. 2) the new electronics unit has different firmware and/or software 3) reset user settings. Not sure which but we have talked about 30-40 minutes now and it is clearly much much better. We haven't had a chance to try with wipers going yet. We'll see if it stays fixed. Anyway, I suggest not taking "no" for an answer and if the vehicle is under warranty then really push on the dealer. One thing I wish I had done is to make recordings from our home phone of what it sounded like under a controlled situation. For example go out at night without traffic and drive at a known speed on a known section of highway. The dealer claimed to not be able to reproduce it but I suspect they didn't bother pairing a phone and then driving while having someone on the other end listen. We had this problem with 3 different Samsung Galaxy S-8 android phones both when using bluetooth to connect and when using android auto over usb to connect. Good luck. It is frustrating for sure. This is our 7th and last Honda. The voice commands for USB audio still don't work, never have.
Thanks. Yeah, this is why I gave a figurative big FU to Chrysler and all their junk for the rest of my life. Surprisingly, Lia Honda of Williamsville, NY took care of me without major issues. Now, I still do not trust dealerships but, at least this time, I was not treated like a pleb at a dealership, for once.

Edit: Oh, and I should probably listen to my messages. :) I picked up my car and but the Assistant Service Manager had already left for the day. Turns out, an audio or communications module of some kind also is going to be replaced but, the part was not in yet. I called and got a hold of him and that is what he told me but, he had also left a message that I never listened too, oops.
Sponsored

Last edited: