What is the culprit of the poor audio we are getting through our 10th gen civics?

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatchback
I recently just installed new components, a mono amp, and 8 inch sub in my 2018 hatch touring and I still feel like i'm missing mid bass or any bass at all in my component speakers. Is it the headunit? The DSP? I'm trying to figure out exactly what is going to solve this "flat" feeling when i'm listening to my music. Definitely the mono amp and aftermarket sub helped tremendously to hit more bass but it just feels weird that the car isn't balanced or feeling lively.
Sponsored

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
I recently just installed new components, a mono amp, and 8 inch sub in my 2018 hatch touring and I still feel like i'm missing mid bass or any bass at all in my component speakers. Is it the headunit? The DSP? I'm trying to figure out exactly what is going to solve this "flat" feeling when i'm listening to my music. Definitely the mono amp and aftermarket sub helped tremendously to hit more bass but it just feels weird that the car isn't balanced or feeling lively.
Without an LC2i, or similar, you'll continue to be a victim of the Honda 'bass-rolloff' - basically a crappy DSP setting that as the volume goes up, the bass is diminished. Possibly to protect the stock speakers, etc.

I've installed an under seat sub and an LC2i, (as well as replaced all door woofers and tweeters) and can say I am MUCH happier than before....BUT! there is NO WAY even the LC2i is replacing the bass exactly as it were and I can still hear some missing - either notes entirely, or at least the oomph behind the lowest notes that should be there.

I am looking forward to either going PhoenixAndroid radio HU or a DSP 'flat' resolution asap!!

OP
OP

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Without an LC2i, or similar, you'll continue to be a victim of the Honda 'bass-rolloff' - basically a crappy DSP setting that as the volume goes up, the bass is diminished. Possibly to protect the stock speakers, etc.

I've installed an under seat sub and an LC2i, (as well as replaced all door woofers and tweeters) and can say I am MUCH happier than before....BUT! there is NO WAY even the LC2i is replacing the bass exactly as it were and I can still hear some missing - either notes entirely, or at least the oomph behind the lowest notes that should be there.

I am looking forward to either going PhoenixAndroid radio HU or a DSP 'flat' resolution asap!!
I want to keep the same HU in hopes that I can keep other functions of the car that are bound to it. Would replacing the dsp solve this bass roll off issue?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear a lot of guys complaining about the stock system. I guess I'm lucky, I've got plenty of power, plenty of bass and a lot of really clear definition out of my system. I'm a musician ,so I kinda know what I should be hearing as far as certain parts in songs etc, and I hear almost everything in my car. Now sometimes with older mp3 files I have that were downloaded, they aren't the best, but most of my stuff sounds great as well as the Sirius radio.

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
Next weekend I'll be installing a LC6i and two amps, one amp for the speakers and one amp for the sub. Here's hoping for some good sound!

darryldarryl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatch 2017, Volkswagen Golf 2017
Country flag
It is good if we can easily replace the factory hu but climate control is integrated, so the best but expensive route is dsp+amp

OP
OP

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is good if we can easily replace the factory hu but climate control is integrated, so the best but expensive route is dsp+amp
I'm thinking of doing that I'm just worried since i've been reading on these forums and it seems that installing a dsp will cause you to lose a few functions from the HU since the HU communicates with the amp for certain functions.

OP
OP

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next weekend I'll be installing a LC6i and two amps, one amp for the speakers and one amp for the sub. Here's hoping for some good sound!
Goodluck man, let us know of your results!

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
It’s all the eq, time delays, polarities, phasing, and everything else that Honda did to the signal before going to the speakers. Get a decent DSP, power amps, and your problem will be solved.

Although, the acoustics are still bad inside

Also, lots of sound deadening.

OP
OP

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s all the eq, time delays, polarities, phasing, and everything else that Honda did to the signal before going to the speakers. Get a decent DSP and your problem will be solved.

Although, the acoustics are still bad inside

Also, lots of sound deadening.
I've been really thinking about getting a DSP but there have been other threads discussing the addition of a DSP and it looks like possible loss of some functions from the HU? Specifically when using the digital SPDIF between the HU and amp. The only thing stopping me from getting a DSP is loss of these functions. Is there any way to by pass this?

https://www.civicx.com/threads/after-market-dsp.4324/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/tour...output-but-some-features-are-in-the-amp.2714/

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been really thinking about getting a DSP but there have been other threads discussing the addition of a DSP and it looks like possible loss of some functions from the HU? Specifically when using the digital SPDIF between the HU and amp. The only thing stopping me from getting a DSP is loss of these functions. Is there any way to by pass this?

https://www.civicx.com/threads/after-market-dsp.4324/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/tour...output-but-some-features-are-in-the-amp.2714/
I don’t have the headunits in the upper leveled trims, so no S/PDIF output for me. But even then, I’m not sure if that will bypass the signal that the HU has already processed? And yes, I’ve read that you would lose certain funcions. But I don’t know if that’s true.

My set up is a lot simpler. I just tapped into the speaker outputs directly into the DSP. The DSP corrects any wonky processing done by the HU to give you a really flat signal. Then you just tune it to your liking. My system sounds great, even at just 580 Watts rms.

OP
OP

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have the headunits in the upper leveled trims, so no S/PDIF output for me. But even then, I’m not sure if that will bypass the signal that the HU has already processed? And yes, I’ve read that you would lose certain funcions. But I don’t know if that’s true.

My set up is a lot simpler. I just tapped into the speaker outputs directly into the DSP. The DSP corrects any wonky processing done by the HU to give you a really flat signal. Then you just tune it to your liking. My system sounds great, even at just 580 Watts rms.
Yeah I think unknownCTR was talking about tapping into the speaker outputs directly (or so that's how it is generally done with DSPs). You think i could do the same with my touring?

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I think unknownCTR was talking about tapping into the speaker outputs directly (or so that's how it is generally done with DSPs). You think i could do the same with my touring?
You most definitely can do that with your Touring. The DSP I use is simple and very user friendly. It’s the JL Audio Fix 86. However, they just released a new line of DSPs with amps built in. So, no need to buy DSPs and Amps separately. They’re actually very impressive. It’s the VXi line. Check them out!
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-amplifiers-vxi

OP
OP

Exotzs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You most definitely can do that with your Touring. The DSP I use is simple and very user friendly. It’s the JL Audio Fix 86. However, they just released a new line of DSPs with amps built in. So, no need to buy DSPs and Amps separately. They’re actually very impressive. It’s the VXi line. Check them out!
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-amplifiers-vxi
Damn those look nice but a bit out of my price range. I was gonna get the Metra ax-dsp paired with a JL mx280/4 (wanted to keep a small amp to put under my passenger seat)
Sponsored