What is the best real world MPG average you are getting from 2.0l or 1.5l

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
To add, you see these system often on v-6+ engines. The savings would be even less on a 1.5L engine.
And how could you say all of these items are already in the car, you know what kind of starter the civic has and have tested to prove it can handle 10X more start-ups, crakshafts, etc. BS.
You build stuff, I SELL IT = ROI is king!
Those things are already in the cars that are DESIGNED for the Stop/Start systems. I'm sure modern starters are sufficient, but I do agree with you that there is likely a difference in components for cars with Stop/Start and those without.

I don't dispute your argument that aftermarket systems are at a drastic disadvantage.

Take a look at this FAQ for this aftermarket solution and I'd be curious of your thoughts of their proposed solution:

https://voyomotive.com/ecostart-faq/

I have read the following regarding manufacturers steps to factor when integrating Stop/Start into their new cars from the ground up:

"First off, the starter motor has to be more robust so it stays reliable despite being used far more often. Likewise, the battery must have deep cycle capability that can endure more frequent draws from the starter. And the engine's crankshaft and rod bearings need to have special low-friction coatings to handle the extra loads placed on them during frequent restarts.

On a more practical note, you don't want the stereo, fan, lighting or wipers to shut down each time the engine winks off, and you don't want them to hiccup when it starts up again. The entire electrical system must be laid out in a different way.

Because the engine will be off, electric pumps are necessary to keep engine coolant circulating and to maintain hydraulic pressure in the transmission. The air-conditioning system may have additional humidity and temperature sensors to monitor the core temperature of the system during the shutdown period. If it looks as if the passengers might get too warm, the computer can abandon the shutdown cycle."
Sponsored

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
What nobody is factoring in is, when they add a system like that to a car, they jack the price up. Does anyone really believe the miniscule gas savings are gonna offset that?

Sorry...:topic:
For me, it would save about $150/yr in fuel, if using the typical 10% benchmark. The VOYO for example, costs $200 with 2 relays, and also offers numerous other functions. Usually Stop/Start isn't an addon, so yes, it is likely added into the overall cost of the car, but then again, so is every other feature. On mass scale, that trickles down to minimal cost most likely when added as a standard feature since models are probably comparably to last gen models despite increased performance/features.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Yes, exactly what I meant but worded poorly is that all of these things are already engineered into existing stop/start designs so there is very little new engineering to be done. The Chevy system actually doesn't use the starter to do stop/start, it injects a tiny amount of fuel into one of the cylinders at stop and rotates it near TDC and then just pop starts the car with a little ignition instead. I have seen a design where an electric motor spins the tranny and pop starts the the engine with a clutch, in fact that is similar to my 1980 Honda CB650's starter clutch design. The point is that these are not expensive nor high tech ideas, they are easy and cheap to design into the car. They do add cost, but it's not as much as you might imagine when you are selling millions of vehicles. Even if they didn't make 100% financial sense the fuel economy mandates and the main reasons most people buy hybrids with such designs transcend finance. Financially it made much more sense for me to buy this Civic than pay $5k more for a similarly equipped Prius. The average Prius buyer wouldn't care though because they are doing it for the environment or to have a world class high efficiency-performance machine.

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I live in New York specifically on Long Island and I get 23-28
I would assume that is lots of idling and slow crawl traffic speeds? That is relatively low mileage for an EX-T so I would assume either really fast speeds or really slow speeds?

StormRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX-T Modern Steel Metallic
I would assume that is lots of idling and slow crawl traffic speeds? That is relatively low mileage for an EX-T so I would assume either really fast speeds or really slow speeds?
yeah exactly, some weeks i drive local a lot, and some weeks more highways

StormRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX-T Modern Steel Metallic
That's probably about right considering the traffic there. Thats what alot of people don't think about, in a big city with tons of traffic, and creeping traffic at that, the mpg is gonna suck a little. But hey, imagine what it would be in something with a V6 or V8. ;)
honestly its a special day if i see my mpg hit 30 lol

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
I got the EX-T so I can drive it hard and fast (within the speed limit of course), so I average about 28 mpg. On long interstate drives, I've seen real world averages of over 50 mpg. I live in the Appalachians, so lot's of big hills to roar up. I love passing slower cars that can't maintain 55 going up a steep hill. Even most last gen Civics can't seem to handle them. My car feels at home going up big windy hills.

Last edited:

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2.0L manual transmission........37.9mpg average so far after 3k miles of driving. My daily commute is 45 miles on the hwy/15 miles rural back roads. I drive 75-90 mph on the highway. The lowest average when driven hard is 34mpg. The best mpg achieved was 39.8mpg when really trying.
Sponsored