What is the best real world MPG average you are getting from 2.0l or 1.5l

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My manual turbo with Econ off can easily get 5l/100km in city driving, once I even saw 3.6 l/100km after my 20 km daily commute from work! (65mpg)
My car has stop-start function which saves a lot in heavy traffic situations, if you don't ask for freezing AC at the red lights....
The thing really love is that even if i drive more aggressively the numbers are still decent, never over 7.5l/100km, unless extreme traffic situations.
Sponsored

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Awesome. What was the distance? Great job!
It's about 24 miles. All back country roads 55 mph limits. I don't use A/C, and I do 53-58 on half of it to keep up with traffic and 45 on the other half where I have the road to myself. I still get low to mid 50's if I do 55-60 the whole way with A/C.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
My manual turbo with Econ off can easily get 5l/100km in city driving, once I even saw 3.6 l/100km after my 20 km daily commute from work! (65mpg)
My car has stop-start function which saves a lot in heavy traffic situations, if you don't ask for freezing AC at the red lights....
The thing really love is that even if i drive more aggressively the numbers are still decent, never over 7.5l/100km, unless extreme traffic situations.
Is the stop/start thing a factory feature in China? I wish we had that.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is the stop/start thing a factory feature in China? I wish we had that.
Yes, All chinese civics have it.
It is much more effective than Econ button to improve mileage in city driving, but i keep it active only in the areas with traffic lights or when i know i will stop longer, because i don't want the engine to turn off and on all the time in stop and go traffic.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now I'm wondering about what hardware differences there are, or if it's just a software update to get autostop working on a US Civic.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Trust me, you don't want any car with start/stop feature. Been there, done that, never again. :thumbsdown:
I've had four cars with it and never had a single issue. The only thing wrong with driving with it would be sluggishness at lights, but you can get around that by taking your foot off the brake early or blipping the throttle. On the reliability side I have never seen anyone with issues on any of the forums for my other cars. I'm sure there are some systems with poor designs that do have problems though.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Show me this research? Start/stop is the one feature we are missing in this car that should be in every car. It saves a ton of fuel. You can literally watch the mpg drop on the display while sitting at a light in this car. With a proper start/stop design there are zero reliability issues, though with a traditional starter you might not recoup the costs of a replaced starter ever 50k miles vs every 150 miles. The first thing to wear out on a starter is the pop out solenoid, and they design those right out in modern stop/start systems so properly designed that would not be an issue.
First off, the starter motor has to be more robust so it stays reliable despite being used far more often. Likewise, the battery must have deep cycle capability that can endure more frequent draws from the starter. And the engine's crankshaft and rod bearings need to have special low-friction coatings to handle the extra loads placed on them during frequent restarts.

On a more practical note, you don't want the stereo, fan, lighting or wipers to shut down each time the engine winks off, and you don't want them to hiccup when it starts up again. The entire electrical system must be laid out in a different way.

Because the engine will be off, electric pumps are necessary to keep engine coolant circulating and to maintain hydraulic pressure in the transmission. The air-conditioning system may have additional humidity and temperature sensors to monitor the core temperature of the system during the shutdown period. If it looks as if the passengers might get too warm, the computer can abandon the shutdown cycle.

That's right, there's a software brain behind all of this that decides when to stop and when to start again. Nominally, the engine stops when speed reaches zero. But the computer first needs to see steady brake pressure and little or no steering: evidence of a routine stop. The command to start again is given as the brakes are released (or the clutch is depressed) in order to get the engine back on line before the driver has time to transfer his foot to the gas pedal.

You could save $170 a year in fuel costs. But the cost of adding this to a car (what you would pay to purchase a civic that has start-stop verusus not having, would far exceed the savings. And having been in a start-stop car I found it annoying.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice detailed post, and pretty accurate breakdown! Just about everything you said is already designed into this car though, and just about every car on the market nowadays. The one thing you wouldn't have to do is change the car's wiring. It's just an engine kill and restart protocol, basically it's a software change. That's why you can retrofit any car with an aftermarket system without gutting the wiring harness. You can already kill the engine without restarting the system by slipping it into N and pressing the start button. That's what I do at long lights, it keeps the stereo going and A/C blowing, just doesn't keep compressing and does reset the "current drive" odometer. Economies of scale make the other things much more affordable than it sounds. I design products for a living and if I wanted to scare off a potential idea I could rant about all the work it would take to do, but we still get all of it done for a marketable price when all is said and done. Most new cars will have to have idle-stop to even meet FE standards, so it's not like they are throwing money away on a fad. They have the system working on the Pilot and apparently the Chinese Civic.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed that the auto-start procedure is not the same as a normal cold start. The starter works only for a fraction of the time, as the car knows the engine is already at working temperature and will turn on much more easily. I only use the system on selected traffic situations though, as I want to keep the additional wear limited to when i can actually have an economic return.:cool: The system already takes into account the battery voltage, coolant temperature, electric consumption and other parameters to decide whether or not to operate, it some cases even indicates the reason why it is not working in the display.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
Honda Civic 10th gen What is the best real world MPG average you are getting from 2.0l or 1.5l First_trip_zpshba245xe

here's my first trip to the cabin last Friday, 15 miles on the car...249mi./170 mi. @79mph, 70 miles at 60-65, four stop signs, 2 'pedal to the metal passes', one pit stop and 15 min. at a crawl departing Milwaukee metro....I'm impressed considering the power available.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's where your wrong. I can't shift into N and press the start button. ;)

TETO

Push button start....another thing I will never do again.

I'm not a huge fan of push button starts either, I always hated it in my Prius as well. Switching to ACC mode while in P is impossible without shutting down and restarting which loses my phone connection and cutting the stereo. I have to use N and the parking brake when I am outside waiting for an Uber customer or the wife runs in the store. I'm not sure why you cannot do that.

It took me a second to think what TETO stood for, but exactly. The Chinese system is defeatable as is the system in the Pilot and upcoming Odyssey. So we can both have our cake in those cars, just wish we had the choice built into the Civic. There are tons of options in this car that I don't use, but I'm glad that they are there for others who do.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
The starter will start the car only so many times before it requires replacement, you'd have to weigh that replacement cost vs. fuel saved.

Adam16T

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX
Country flag
I have had our Touring a month tomorrow, have filled it 3 times so far. No long trips yet, but my average MPG is at 37.8. I am impressed with it.

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Voyostart is currently testing their Ecostart product with Honda. Their start/stop system will shut off engine while in D and will be controlled with the brake to turn off/on.

https://voyomotive.com/ecostart-faq/

In other news, I got 64 MPG's on my Civic last night on a 37 mile trip, using AC (set to 75) and Cruise Control.

Honda Civic 10th gen What is the best real world MPG average you are getting from 2.0l or 1.5l 64m

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Nice detailed post, and pretty accurate breakdown! Just about everything you said is already designed into this car though, and just about every car on the market nowadays. The one thing you wouldn't have to do is change the car's wiring. It's just an engine kill and restart protocol, basically it's a software change. That's why you can retrofit any car with an aftermarket system without gutting the wiring harness. You can already kill the engine without restarting the system by slipping it into N and pressing the start button. That's what I do at long lights, it keeps the stereo going and A/C blowing, just doesn't keep compressing and does reset the "current drive" odometer. Economies of scale make the other things much more affordable than it sounds. I design products for a living and if I wanted to scare off a potential idea I could rant about all the work it would take to do, but we still get all of it done for a marketable price when all is said and done. Most new cars will have to have idle-stop to even meet FE standards, so it's not like they are throwing money away on a fad. They have the system working on the Pilot and apparently the Chinese Civic.
To add, you see these system often on v-6+ engines. The savings would be even less on a 1.5L engine.
And how could you say all of these items are already in the car, you know what kind of starter the civic has and have tested to prove it can handle 10X more start-ups, crakshafts, etc. BS.
You build stuff, I SELL IT = ROI is king!
Sponsored