What is the best Pre-Filter for a CAI?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi All. My PRL Cobra CAI is currently on its way. Due to rainfall in my region, I would like to play it safe and install it with a hydrophobic pre-filter.

My question is: which pre-filter is the best? A google search yields several different brands, with Injen and AEM seemingly being the most commonly discussed. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They all come from the same place. You will be fine with either one.

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi All. My PRL Cobra CAI is currently on its way. Due to rainfall in my region, I would like to play it safe and install it with a hydrophobic pre-filter.

My question is: which pre-filter is the best? A google search yields several different brands, with Injen and AEM seemingly being the most commonly discussed. Does anyone have any recommendations?
I can tell you that I use the Injen version on my PRL Cobra CAI, fits great and have had no issues.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Do those actually work?
I've seen mixed results. Certainly submerging them will lead to failure of the pre-filter, but most of the videos that I've seen showing water being poured or sprayed on them demonstrated decent water repellent properties. There were a few examples of higher pressure water streams penetrating the filter, but I'd question how well that mimics real life use.

They do seem to be somewhat restrictive, but for my purposes, as long as they provide at least as much air as stock at a significantly lower temp, I'm happy. Ideally, I'd love to see a dyno comparison of a CAI with and without a hydrophobic pre-filter installed, but I haven't been able to find any examples of this comparison on the web.

EDIT: Actually managed to find a comparison, demonstrating that the restrictive effects were extremely minimal. http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/44858-k-n-prefilter-dyno-test/
Sponsored