what is Finishing Touch? Teflon coating?

noelbnetz

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just brought my car in to the dealership for my first oil change and also for the finishing touch application. To my understanding its a Teflon coating that is some sort of wax or sealant that keeps my car shiny. They also coated my interior which they said that liquids would just run right off. What they're telling me sounds super cool but can someone explain to me what it is in more depth
Sponsored

ricky_vato

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2012 Crosstour
Hi Noel. Sorry you did not get a quick response to your question. Here is what I know: I had a 2015 Civic LX with the Finishing Touch applied. Cost me alot and in hindsight, it was a waste of money. The product is simply a glorified liquid wax that will not last as they probably told you it will. Even with great care not using a car wash or soap, but only using water and a microfiber towel, the product last only 3 months for me. I filed a claim with the company, they sent a guy out to reapply it. The second application last 6 months. I filed a claim again and was told that I can only file a claim once a year. I protested, they gave in and covered the car again. It last only 6 months again. By then, I traded the car in for a 2016 Civic LX-P with Cilajet applied. Much better product that you mix and it really bonds and hardens well to the car. It lasted a year (I traded for an Si in that year) never an issue with shine or protection loss. I work for Boeing and we used that stuff to protect the exterior of the planes. Should tell you something...

Since you have the Finishing Touch and their interior product too, I can only tell you that the protection will not last, be prepared to file a claim for a redo. You see, these companies know people will forget what they paid for, or believe the hype of car protection and never pay attention to the finish slowly losing it's luster. My advice, just use water to clean your car, dry with a microfiber towel only, do not rub, just pull the towel over your car. Then, fold your towel in fours, and lightly wipe the front, back, and sides in one direction. Do a quarter section of the car at a time, then after each wipe, rinse your towel in the bucket to clean off the dust and dirt, wring it out and continue.

I live in SoCal too (Orange Country near Disney), so we are lucky with weather. That is why water cleaning is all that's needed. You will find that the Civics have a problem with dirt accumulating more on the rear (aero design), so you will need to pay careful attention to the rear when cleaning.
I have a Lunar Silver Si, and the car has no swirl marks anywhere and looks like new all the time. Water and microfiber, 10 - 15 min over the whole car every other day. Take care of your car's finish and you will be fine.

Last edited: