What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT transmission?

What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT trans?

• Total voters

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Out of hundreds of civic on street, very few SI. That 'rare' enough for me.
At least where I live I see a lot of SI sedans tenth gens but rarely the SI coupe or a EX turbo coupe in fact but the sport coupe is a different story I see a few of them
Sponsored

Yal

New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Again, good points. Well thought out. My Z4 allowed me, in sport mode, to run the car right up to red line and then shift, but yes, it hated downshifting at high RPM which saved me from money shifting. An intelligent, albeit old, transmission and software that allowed me to drive in a sporting manner. My BRZ auto, while slower than a manual, allowed the same interaction. The BRZ required a flash (OFT) and e85 for real performance, but it was built as a momentum car with its insufficient torque. It was effectively a Miata coupe.

I guess I overlooked the enthusiast standpoint and that is a good one. You have to be an enthusiast to keep driving a manual despite the obvious shortcomings like heavy traffic, which is why a good number of Si versions can be found for sale. One of the things that has kept me in this car is the LSD. I’d probably keep this car if it was rwd, which is more me than others as I’m rather old.

I think it’s mostly the “a CVT/auto would bastardize the brand” that gets me. I need to look at the WRX forums to see how they feel about it as well. I haven’t tracked the Si yet, so maybe that will be what makes me keep it as street performance doesn’t mean squat to me. I need to get onto the highway quickly and I can do that with this car, but I could do that in BRZ with the auto (not cvt) in sport mode, which I used all the time. This car has a low cost of entry, so I’ll say that if it brings more people into legitimate auto sports, then let’s stay with the manual, but it’s not necessarily a race car without engine or clutch blowing mods. If I understand the 2020 updates, then they reduced the final drive to make it more fun, but with the right transmission, reasonable stock suspension, and final drive, an auto would do as well.

I had a friend that had to drop manuals due to losing much of the use of his left knee, who switched to autos and he was still fast because, he’d spent a lot of time on what I need, which is the driver mod. I don’t care how many people I see driving an Si, as not all purchasers buy it for the performance, they like having a sporty car and can’t or don’t want to get a BMW, Camaro, Mustang, etc.

Long winded, yes I am. I can’t agree that a different transmission would ruin the car, it might bring more people into the car, the brand, and like I said, motor sports.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Again, good points. Well thought out. My Z4 allowed me, in sport mode, to run the car right up to red line and then shift, but yes, it hated downshifting at high RPM which saved me from money shifting. An intelligent, albeit old, transmission and software that allowed me to drive in a sporting manner. My BRZ auto, while slower than a manual, allowed the same interaction. The BRZ required a flash (OFT) and e85 for real performance, but it was built as a momentum car with its insufficient torque. It was effectively a Miata coupe.

I guess I overlooked the enthusiast standpoint and that is a good one. You have to be an enthusiast to keep driving a manual despite the obvious shortcomings like heavy traffic, which is why a good number of Si versions can be found for sale. One of the things that has kept me in this car is the LSD. I’d probably keep this car if it was rwd, which is more me than others as I’m rather old.

I think it’s mostly the “a CVT/auto would bastardize the brand” that gets me. I need to look at the WRX forums to see how they feel about it as well. I haven’t tracked the Si yet, so maybe that will be what makes me keep it as street performance doesn’t mean squat to me. I need to get onto the highway quickly and I can do that with this car, but I could do that in BRZ with the auto (not cvt) in sport mode, which I used all the time. This car has a low cost of entry, so I’ll say that if it brings more people into legitimate auto sports, then let’s stay with the manual, but it’s not necessarily a race car without engine or clutch blowing mods. If I understand the 2020 updates, then they reduced the final drive to make it more fun, but with the right transmission, reasonable stock suspension, and final drive, an auto would do as well.

I had a friend that had to drop manuals due to losing much of the use of his left knee, who switched to autos and he was still fast because, he’d spent a lot of time on what I need, which is the driver mod. I don’t care how many people I see driving an Si, as not all purchasers buy it for the performance, they like having a sporty car and can’t or don’t want to get a BMW, Camaro, Mustang, etc.

Long winded, yes I am. I can’t agree that a different transmission would ruin the car, it might bring more people into the car, the brand, and like I said, motor sports.
In December 2017 I test drove a 2018 SI and realized that my left knee was really bad ( do to a work related injury) there fore the SI wasn’t for me unfortunately looking at other car Elantra GT sport turbo,mustangs Camaro. Yes the mustangs and Camaro where too much money and the Elantra had too many doors than I want so I went back to Honda and bought a EX-T coupe which I’m very happy with but if the SI was offered with a DCT I would have a SI

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like the Type R's, the Si was designed and only ever meant to be manual. Anything else would go against the core of the vehicle's design. If Honda were to ever consider that, they should just retire the Si model.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The ones that voted auto/CVT...GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!

The hell out of here with that crap...Si has always been manual. Nissan is crap for offering the NISMO version in CVT and that car either way sucks compared to the Si. The Si kills that car in everything. NISMO CVT PFFFFT haha that is why you don't see them. Honda once again destroyed the game on this gen.

And don't even think to gimme the lame talk about "oh but I drive in traffic" man up and change gears.

The Si is a sporty Civic that needs to stay manual. If Honda makes an auto/CVT will just in my opinion ruin the heritage of this trim level Civic. I don't even care for a DCT. Who cares that VW has one and that WRX comes with the option. This is the Si which stands out from the rest of the crowd.

I would have bought another car...why because I don't want to share a manual Si with an auto/CVT. Call me whatever you want that crap would have left a bad taste in my mouth with Honda.

For us die hard fans of keeping things the way they should be the Si should remain manual...always.

The Si is pretty much your entry level Civic hot rod a blank canvas where all other trims want to be it because Honda does a damn well job of making it stand out from the other trim levels.

Last edited:

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
The ones that voted auto/CVT...GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!

The hell out of here with that crap...Si has always been manual. Nissan is crap for offering the NISMO version in CVT and that car either sucks compared to ours in every way. The Si kills that car.
And don't even think to gimme the lame talk about "oh but I drive in traffic" man up and change gears.

The Si is a sporty Civic that needs to stay manual. Anyone that wants a CVT will just in my opinion ruin the heritage of this trim level Civic.

I would have bought another car...why because I don't want to share a manual Si with an auto/CVT. Call me whatever you want that crap would have left a bad taste in my mouth with Honda.
For us die hard fans of keeping things the way they should be would have been the demise for the Si Civic. The Si is not as rare to see as the R, but still rare on the road. Keep it that way.

The Si is pretty much your entry level Civic hot rod a blank canvas where all other trims want to be it because Honda does a damn well job of making it stand out from the other trim levels.
Just wondering why your Sport Hatch is a CVT.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wondering why your Sport Hatch is a CVT.
Let me answer that dumb question...that is my wife's car which has nothing to do with the discussion. She does not care for the performance of her car or my Si. She just likes her hatch because she says "it looks mean"

So why ask?

Yal

New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
And when it was found that the Gen X Si was not Vtec, there was much gnashing of teeth, but now, no one mentions it.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And when it was found that the Gen X Si was not Vtec, there was much gnashing of teeth, but now, no one mentions it.
This is true, but the turbo being the new thing to me was cool. Imagine if they would have stayed with a VTEC for the X gen Si and the hatches and others with a turbo 1.5 liter. That would have been wild.
The complaint I have read is the same HP of the previous Si even with the turbo. Only difference is torque.

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I wanted the SI because of the stick shift. But I would have no problem if Honda offered a Automatic or at least a nice Dual Clutch Automatic option. You have to look at market trends. The new 2020 Supra, 2020 Vette, and 2020 Shelby GT500 will Automatics only.

Back in the day when I was ordering a '07 E60 BMW M5, I got to test drive a used one with single clutch auto (Smg) and loved it! I speced the car with the SMG transmission. Last minute got cold feet and ordered a '07 Saleen Mustang.

My wife could drive a stick, but Lease her Mini Cooper S with an auto, so she would not get tired of it. She drives it everyday and her jeep sits parked lol.

Nothing wrong with auto option, if it keeps the SI in production, due to extra sales:)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned/driven more manual cars than 90% of members here. Nothing compares in terms of control and fun factor. Yet my current car is an automatic. I've run a car forum for 20 years. I've modded cars for 30+ years. I am an enthusiast.

This whole idea that "an auto in an Si" would be sacrilege or ruin the Si is short-sighted and holier than thou.

Yes, I get it. Si is Sport Injected. It's a fun, great handler and has always been a row your own gears vehicle. But there's something you need to remember. Honda is a business. The more cars they sell, the better, right? And the manual driver is, unfortunately, a dying breed. So say for the 11th gen Honda gives the Si an auto (DCT) option...

Drivers looking for a value priced sporty car with awesome handling would have the option of manual or auto. This would bring more buyers into the equation and get a bunch of new people enjoying the terrific Si. That's a win for Honda and a win for folks buying the Si.

The notion that an Si DCT would "dilute the quality and tradition" of the Si is a bit much. It's a Civic guys, not a Bugatti or something.

The one thing that WOULD be sacrilege is making an Si auto only, but thankfully, that will never happen.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i Believe when the SI first came out it was offered in the coupe only. now you could get it in a sedan which I see more of than coupes. its a choice how many mustang GTs are out there with autos I see quite a few with autos and it doesn’t seem to change the opinion on the car

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I wanted the SI because of the stick shift. But I would have no problem if Honda offered a Automatic or at least a nice Dual Clutch Automatic option. You have to look at market trends. The new 2020 Supra, 2020 Vette, and 2020 Shelby GT500 will Automatics only.

Back in the day when I was ordering a '07 E60 BMW M5, I got to test drive a used one with single clutch auto (Smg) and loved it! I speced the car with the SMG transmission. Last minute got cold feet and ordered a '07 Saleen Mustang.

My wife could drive a stick, but Lease her Mini Cooper S with an auto, so she would not get tired of it. She drives it everyday and her jeep sits parked lol.

Nothing wrong with auto option, if it keeps the SI in production, due to extra sales:)
Wow, the E60 M5 with the SMG trans has the worst reputation for being unreliable. Idk about the saleen mustang, but it sounds like you made the better decision.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
i Believe when the SI first came out it was offered in the coupe only. now you could get it in a sedan which I see more of than coupes. its a choice how many mustang GTs are out there with autos I see quite a few with autos and it doesn’t seem to change the opinion on the car
Exactly. This whole thread is sort of based on a kind stick shift elitism or snobbery. Yeah my current car is auto but I have nearly 30 years of manual driving. Give me a car with a stick right now and I guarantee I can out drive a lot of you head to head.

Point being, some here think a DCT will degrade the Si not because a DCT sucks but because the people wanting to buy an auto aren't "real drivers" in their opinion. And therefore, the Si image is tainted. It's a kind of silly argument.

Choice of transmission is just that... a choice. It doesn't mean anything more that. If you think is does, you are biased.
Sponsored