What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT transmission?

?
  1. Still would have bought the 6MT

77.9%
  2. Would have bought the Auto/CVT

12.2%
  3. Would have bought a different car

9.9%
  1. OP
    OP
    SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8 Senior Member

Environmental
    First Name:
    Steve
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Coupe
    Doing that could be a little dangerous if someone is approaching you from behind and not paying much attention.

2. OP
    OP
    SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8 Senior Member

Environmental
    First Name:
    Steve
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Coupe
    Same reason Ford is slapping the ST badge on the edge and explorer

3. arsh88

arsh88 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
    To this point, okay i'm fine with there technically being no si auto but there should have been an Si equivalent of auto. I don't care if it's sport or s type, some of us want the performance but just aren't interested in rowing gears in 3 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic. I personally think taking the ILX trans slapping it an si and that being the true sport trim would have been fine.

4. saz468

saz468 Senior Member

First Name:
    Stan
    Car(s):
    2018 civic ext coupe
    A friend had a 1993 prelude SI with a auto

5. ltrinh

ltrinh Senior Member

First Name:
    Larry
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic SI Coupe
    I think it matters a lot, like buy a collectible items, exclusive club, etc. The MT makes SI unique and most folks, myself included, wants that uniqueness. No one in this forum (exclusive club) would have to ask 'is it auto or manual'. But that's my 2 cents.

Neps18Si and Siiick thanked this.
  6. saz468

saz468 Senior Member

First Name:
    Stan
    Car(s):
    2018 civic ext coupe
    I didn’t think about that when using brake hold the lights go on when physically stopping

7. REBELXSi

REBELXSi Señor Member

Car(s):
    '18 Si Coupe
    Nothing exclusive about a mass produced Honda Civic. I bought what I wanted and couldn't care less what others buy.

saz468, MaxPower, Yal and 1 other person thanked this.
  8. ltrinh

ltrinh Senior Member

First Name:
    Larry
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic SI Coupe
    Out of hundreds of civic on street, very few SI. That 'rare' enough for me.

9. REBELXSi

REBELXSi Señor Member

Car(s):
    '18 Si Coupe
    Guess I'm jaded, living in a city of nearly 2 million people, I see civics everywhere... Even the ever elusive Si lol

saz468 and Yal thanked this.
  10. Siiick

Siiick Senior Member

Car(s):
    2020 Civic Si, 2019 Corvette Z06, 2017 Fiesta ST
    Happy to see 'Still would have bought the 6MT' is receiving the most votes. For a car like this, a manual is the only way to go. Glad Honda thinks the same :drive:

11. ebhaynz

ebhaynz Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic Si 2017
    If Honda made the Si with both auto and manual I would still buy the manual. Whenever I saw another Si on the road I would just drool over the fact that I've got the manual version and most of those other Si owners DO NOT!

12. Yal

Yal New to the brand

First Name:
    Allen
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si
    Everyone talks about the manual connecting you to the car. Most modern sporty or better cars tend to have a manual mode with their autos. I had a 2003 Z4 with their steptronic transmission. I ran that thing in manual/sport mode all the time. Loved it. But on days when I had to creep up a mountain highway in bumper to bumper traffic, I could move it to auto. I settled on the Si because the manual in the WRX sucked and I didn't like the potential hit on mileage compared to my BRZ, which I also drove in manual mode all the time. It isn't the transmission, it's the car and driver.

13. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

Car(s):
    2005 Saab 9-2x, 2017 Honda CR-V EX
    Counterpoint...without making any judgments about the better or worse transmission option: manual mode on autos just isn't the same as a true manual transmission. The speed of the shifts can be comparable (or superior), as I've experienced with some DCTs. But sans a clutch pedal, you simply don't have the same level of control...and I think that's what people mean about the connection to the car. Both types of transmission have their pros and cons, but I remain unconvinced that any auto can truly replicate this connection. That said, this doesn't mean autos are objectively worse - in my family hauler I don't necessarily even want that type of connection. Different strokes for different folks, and for different purposes.

Yal thanked this.
  14. Yal

Yal New to the brand

First Name:
    Allen
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si
    Max, good points, and I'd like to know about the requirements of street driving that require a higher level of control that the clutch gives. Maybe there is something that I'm overlooking.

I've known a lot of drivers that thought they were hard core because they can drive a stick. I've driven motorcycle, road going forklifts, small lifts, cars, pickups, all the way up to 10 wheel 5 speeds with splitters. I rather understand what you mean, but on the street or in auto-x, I've never really needed excessive clutch control except for the 10 wheel when fully loaded with lumber going up a dirt road with a drop off on one side. I'm probably no better than the average driver, but at least I have experience.

My old boss told me that I was a wuss for having an auto in my Z4. Too much bumper to bumper on highway 101 and I really didn't like creeping up a mountain in first for 5 miles at 10 or 20 feet at a time. His G35 manual vs my Z4 auto on Highway 9 in California from Saratoga to 4 corners? I was there about 2 minutes before him. According to him, my lack of time spent shifting gave me the superior time.

saz468 and MaxPower thanked this.
  15. SiFever

SiFever Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Si, 2019 Jeep Rubicon 2 Door MT
    Sacrilege!