What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT transmission?

What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT trans?

• Total voters
OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Si means sports injected. Why would they offer in automatic when the trim is designed for enthusiasts like us. I am pretty mad with the sport version inspired by Si
Same reason Ford is slapping the ST badge on the edge and explorer
Sponsored

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Surprising how many people wouldnt care that there would be a million more Si’s on the road with bad drivers who just think the car and badge are pretty. There’s something special about knowing that every Si I see on the road is a manual and theyre dedicated to rowing gears.
To this point, okay i'm fine with there technically being no si auto but there should have been an Si equivalent of auto. I don't care if it's sport or s type, some of us want the performance but just aren't interested in rowing gears in 3 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic. I personally think taking the ILX trans slapping it an si and that being the true sport trim would have been fine.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
A friend had a 1993 prelude SI with a auto

ltrinh

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Why does it matter what other people buy?
I think it matters a lot, like buy a collectible items, exclusive club, etc. The MT makes SI unique and most folks, myself included, wants that uniqueness. No one in this forum (exclusive club) would have to ask 'is it auto or manual'. But that's my 2 cents.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I usually have the brake hold option on so this trick wouldn't work.
I didn’t think about that when using brake hold the lights go on when physically stopping

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I think it matters a lot, like buy a collectible items, exclusive club, etc. The MT makes SI unique and most folks, myself included, wants that uniqueness. No one in this forum (exclusive club) would have to ask 'is it auto or manual'. But that's my 2 cents.
Nothing exclusive about a mass produced Honda Civic. I bought what I wanted and couldn't care less what others buy.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Out of hundreds of civic on street, very few SI. That 'rare' enough for me.
Guess I'm jaded, living in a city of nearly 2 million people, I see civics everywhere... Even the ever elusive Si lol

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Happy to see 'Still would have bought the 6MT' is receiving the most votes. For a car like this, a manual is the only way to go. Glad Honda thinks the same :drive:

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
If Honda made the Si with both auto and manual I would still buy the manual. Whenever I saw another Si on the road I would just drool over the fact that I've got the manual version and most of those other Si owners DO NOT!

Yal

New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Everyone talks about the manual connecting you to the car. Most modern sporty or better cars tend to have a manual mode with their autos. I had a 2003 Z4 with their steptronic transmission. I ran that thing in manual/sport mode all the time. Loved it. But on days when I had to creep up a mountain highway in bumper to bumper traffic, I could move it to auto. I settled on the Si because the manual in the WRX sucked and I didn't like the potential hit on mileage compared to my BRZ, which I also drove in manual mode all the time. It isn't the transmission, it's the car and driver.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Everyone talks about the manual connecting you to the car. Most modern sporty or better cars tend to have a manual mode with their autos. I had a 2003 Z4 with their steptronic transmission. I ran that thing in manual/sport mode all the time. Loved it. But on days when I had to creep up a mountain highway in bumper to bumper traffic, I could move it to auto. I settled on the Si because the manual in the WRX sucked and I didn't like the potential hit on mileage compared to my BRZ, which I also drove in manual mode all the time. It isn't the transmission, it's the car and driver.
Counterpoint...without making any judgments about the better or worse transmission option: manual mode on autos just isn't the same as a true manual transmission. The speed of the shifts can be comparable (or superior), as I've experienced with some DCTs. But sans a clutch pedal, you simply don't have the same level of control...and I think that's what people mean about the connection to the car. Both types of transmission have their pros and cons, but I remain unconvinced that any auto can truly replicate this connection. That said, this doesn't mean autos are objectively worse - in my family hauler I don't necessarily even want that type of connection. Different strokes for different folks, and for different purposes.

Reactions: Yal

Yal

New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Max, good points, and I'd like to know about the requirements of street driving that require a higher level of control that the clutch gives. Maybe there is something that I'm overlooking.

I've known a lot of drivers that thought they were hard core because they can drive a stick. I've driven motorcycle, road going forklifts, small lifts, cars, pickups, all the way up to 10 wheel 5 speeds with splitters. I rather understand what you mean, but on the street or in auto-x, I've never really needed excessive clutch control except for the 10 wheel when fully loaded with lumber going up a dirt road with a drop off on one side. I'm probably no better than the average driver, but at least I have experience.

My old boss told me that I was a wuss for having an auto in my Z4. Too much bumper to bumper on highway 101 and I really didn't like creeping up a mountain in first for 5 miles at 10 or 20 feet at a time. His G35 manual vs my Z4 auto on Highway 9 in California from Saratoga to 4 corners? I was there about 2 minutes before him. According to him, my lack of time spent shifting gave me the superior time.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Max, good points, and I'd like to know about the requirements of street driving that require a higher level of control that the clutch gives. Maybe there is something that I'm overlooking.

I've known a lot of drivers that thought they were hard core because they can drive a stick. I've driven motorcycle, road going forklifts, small lifts, cars, pickups, all the way up to 10 wheel 5 speeds with splitters. I rather understand what you mean, but on the street or in auto-x, I've never really needed excessive clutch control except for the 10 wheel when fully loaded with lumber going up a dirt road with a drop off on one side. I'm probably no better than the average driver, but at least I have experience.

My old boss told me that I was a wuss for having an auto in my Z4. Too much bumper to bumper on highway 101 and I really didn't like creeping up a mountain in first for 5 miles at 10 or 20 feet at a time. His G35 manual vs my Z4 auto on Highway 9 in California from Saratoga to 4 corners? I was there about 2 minutes before him. According to him, my lack of time spent shifting gave me the superior time.
I'm just speaking to the connection you mentioned in your post. When I say "control" I don't mean that manual drivers benefit from improved handling/performance (although in certain cases this can be true). Rather, my point was that the clutch pedal - and the action of operating it correctly - connects the driver to the car in a way that an automatic trans does not. By necessity, you become more involved in the process. An automatic introduces some intervention over which you don't have complete control. Not a terrific example, but: I can redline my manual in first if I really want to, while most autos will force a shift to second.

Again, I'm not trying to say manuals are inherently superior (they aren't), or that you need a stick to be a "hard core" driver (you don't). Drivetrain losses on old slushboxes sucked (literally), but today, manuals aren't any quicker than good modern DCTs. And the aforementioned connection becomes a liability in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Despite this, and perhaps somewhat illogically, a lot of enthusiasts simply prefer that level of involvement.
Sponsored