What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT transmission?

What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT trans?

• Total voters

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
CVT no, but a DCT would still be in keeping with the Si theme and be faster than the manual.

BTW, I don't think the DCT option would "kill the brand" as the OP suggested. I mean obviously Honda would still offer the 6 speed. A DCT hasn't hurt the GTI's image in any way.
I agree, and the 8DCT in the ILX and TLX is an excellent transmission that would be great in the Si. I recall reading that Honda has tested the 8DCT with the 1.5T. I don't know if that combo is available elsewhere (China?), but obviously we haven't seen it here.

I totally embrace the spirit of manual-only cars, but keep in mind not everyone has two good legs, including many vets who have suffered combat injuries. As far as I'm concerned, everyone should be able to enjoy Honda's best, so I'd be fine with a DCT or great automatic like the 10AT in the Accord. But a CVT would be blasphemous. I can't believe Subaru offers one in the WRX.
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Luckily, for those that want an auto/cvt Civic, Honda has made PLENTY of trim levels with that option! There is a reason that the Si has it's own trim and sold exclusively with a manual.

Unfortunately, the appeal of manual cars is dying down in the states. Not even 100% sure if an 11th gen Si would be sold as a manual-only. Even BMW stopped offering their 3 series with an MT option... Hopefully Honda can stick to their roots for as long as possible!

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
I do see a LOT of GTIs in my city, probably around half the total golfs I see. I'm guessing most of them have the automatic/DCT, and that is probably what has made the GTI so mainstream.
One way to tell is at a stop light if they have their brake lights on haha. Especially if it's flat, I don't hold onto my brakes whenever I'm on flat ground.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I think 60% of the reason I bought an Si is because it is only offered with a manual. If there was an Auto variant, it would kill the brand for me.
Why does it matter what other people buy?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
One way to tell is at a stop light if they have their brake lights on haha. Especially if it's flat, I don't hold onto my brakes whenever I'm on flat ground.
I usually have the brake hold option on so this trick wouldn't work.

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
Why stop with the SI? Put an auto in the R too:thumbsdown:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The R obviously should stay manual. But you guys saying the Si with a DCT would be sacrilege are a bit much. The Si is a slightly more powerful but much better handler than the non-Si. I don't see why giving people an automatic option would be so bad. Hyundai does it with the Elantra Sport. VW with the GTI. Subaru with the WRX. All the muscle cars have auto options.

I have 25+ years of manual driving under my belt so I get it. But times have changed and an auto in the Si would work as an option.

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The R obviously should stay manual. But you guys saying the Si with a DCT would be sacrilege are a bit much. The Si is a slightly more powerful but much better handler than the non-Si. I don't see why giving people an automatic option would be so bad. Hyundai does it with the Elantra Sport. VW with the GTI. Subaru with the WRX. All the muscle cars have auto options.

I have 25+ years of manual driving under my belt so I get it. But times have changed and an auto in the Si would work as an option.
But I wanna be a special snowflake!:cry:

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We can almost bet on it that this is the last Si without an Auto/CVT option for several reasons:

1) Manual trans take rates are declining in North America
2) Honda is gearing up the Si for an Auto with the introduction of assisted driving features being introduced in the 2020 variant with the Honda Sensing
3) Increasing efforts to reduce the emissions throughout the fleet (at least we have it better than the MB C63 AMG which will trade in it's glorious V8 for a four popper in the next gen :doh:)
4) Keeping the Halo car, in our case the CTR in a class of its own (i.e. once upon a time the WRX and STI were manual only, now it's just the STI)

It kinda sucks that we won't be able to look at every Si with a smile thinking, "Sweet, this person cares as about driver interaction as much as I do", because we'll likely double guess ourselves, and think that many on the road were just bought because they're the "Sporty Model".

Also, the 2020 ILX A-spec wheels are nearly identical to the 2020 Si wheels. I won't be opposed to a 1.5T Si if it shares a quick shifting and robust DCT box that will handle the torque that this engine can put out with a simple tune :)

Honda Civic 10th gen What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT transmission? 2019-Acura-ILX-03

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It kinda sucks that we won't be able to look at every Si with a smile thinking, "Sweet, this person cares as about driver interaction as much as I do", because we'll likely double guess ourselves, and think that many on the road were just bought because they're the "Sporty Model".
This always hits a sore spot with me so I'm about to rant a bit here...

I was driving manual Hondas before many of you were even born and continued to own nothing but manual transmission cars for over 25 years. Back in 2010 my wife was very, very ill and lost her job. We had to downsize to one vehicle and since she couldn't drive stick we bought an automatic. At first I hated it (it was more like riding along than actually driving lol) but I certainly appreciated it in the congested stop and go that is Baltimore, Maryland. My wife tragically passed away in 2015 and I decided my next car would be a manual again. But, the 10th gen Civics were almost impossible to find in a manual when I was looking back in 2016 and early 2017. Plus I loved the sedan exclusive Cosmic Blue color. Ultimately I bought an EX-L sedan with a CVT. I've tuned it, done some suspension stuff too and it's a nice car.

So, my point is, you can't assume that the person in the sporty car with an automatic isn't an enthusiast or doesn't enjoy or isn't capable of driving a manual. Sometimes circumstances dictate your choices.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
If the Honda offered the Si in Hatchback form...man, I would've jumped on that, even if the dealer made be pay above MSRP.
Reason I went with a CVT for my Hatchback Sport...is because of all the damn stoplights -- LITERALLY one every 100m (~300 ft) in the city.
I don't see anything wrong with the Si and Type-R coming in both manual and DCT, and CVT for the other Civic trims.

Honda Civic 10th gen What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT transmission? upload_2019-10-28_13-0-20

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This always hits a sore spot with me so I'm about to rant a bit here...

I was driving manual Hondas before many of you were even born and continued to own nothing but manual transmission cars for over 25 years. Back in 2010 my wife was very, very ill and lost her job. We had to downsize to one vehicle and since she couldn't drive stick we bought an automatic. At first I hated it (it was more like riding along than actually driving lol) but I certainly appreciated it in the congested stop and go that is Baltimore, Maryland. My wife tragically passed away in 2015 and I decided my next car would be a manual again. But, the 10th gen Civics were almost impossible to find in a manual when I was looking back in 2016 and early 2017. Plus I loved the sedan exclusive Cosmic Blue color. Ultimately I bought an EX-L sedan with a CVT. I've tuned it, done some suspension stuff too and it's a nice car.

So, my point is, you can't assume that the person in the sporty car with an automatic isn't an enthusiast or doesn't enjoy or isn't capable of driving a manual. Sometimes circumstances dictate your choices.
Truly understand what you're saying, and sorry for your loss. I didn't intend to label all future Auto Si owners as non-enthusiasts, in fact all are enthusiasts to because they did choose the sporty model for starters - you will see the words "many on the road", not all. I know that their will be enthusiasts that will prefer the auto due to commuting needs, sharing cars with a partner that can't or won't drive a stick shift, any disability, or just overall preference to choose auto be it convenience or hunting lap times.

MT's also aren't suited for every car so I don't want to come off as a elitist who dismisses any car or owner who chooses Auto :)

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Doing that could be a little dangerous if someone is approaching you from behind and not paying much attention.
Sponsored