Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Honda set expectations high for the 2016 Civic Coupe when it unveiled the beautiful Concept Coupe earlier this year at the NY Auto Show. With the first look at an undisguised production-intent coupe that we posted yesterday, some members expressed disappointment that it didn't impress like the Concept Coupe.

Besides the low quality of the spy photos and the few remaining taped up bits, what's the difference between the two? We thought it was probably mostly cosmetic parts that made the difference, and not the overall shape or proportion of the test car, so we decided to see how the prototype would look with some major components from the Concept Coupe.

We added:
  • Wheels from the Concept Coupe
  • Trunk spoiler from the Concept Coupe
  • Lowered the car like Concept Coupe

What we didn't add, but is extra on the Concept Coupe:
  • More aggressively styled front and rear bumpers
  • Black front center grille bar
  • Dark tint
We think the result shows that it's the extra concept parts on the Concept Coupe which makes all the difference; parts which were never expected to make production.

Original:

Honda Civic 10th gen What if the 2016 Civic Coupe Prototype was fitted with some Concept parts 2016-civic-coupe-3

Fitted with some Concept Coupe parts:

Honda Civic 10th gen What if the 2016 Civic Coupe Prototype was fitted with some Concept parts 2016-civic-coupe

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would love for those rims, or something similar (even if they weren't 20 inchers) to be available, i bet the Si gets something similar. They really really need to offer the coupe with a wing spoiler, it just completes this car in the back, and it wouldn't even need a brake light since the coupe 3rd brake light is top mounted in the back window, that's some cost saving on it.

As for why they didn't use exactly the same front and rear bumpers, it probably had more to do with wind tunnel testing more than anything. The concept bumpers look nice, but probably didn't hit anywhere near honda's targets for drag efficiency, which can hurt both fuel mileage and performance. I'd rather have a better performing for efficient car than concept bumpers. Also, i'm sure it won't be long before there are aftermarket kits that mirror the concept bits.

The only other thing i notice about the two in terms of proportions is the rear overhang is a bit longer on the production model, as well as the trunk extending past the tail lights a bit more. Other than that proportions are spot on, and once we see in in hi res pictures cleaned up and sparkly i'm sure it'll put to rest many of the fears we have about it's appearance in these shots. Just as other members and myself have mentioned, remember the crappy shots of the sedan and how worried everyone was, until we finally saw it debut looking as great as it does.

I wonder how much shorter than the sedan the coupe will be. Most likely it'll keep the width of the sedan (because it shares the entire front nose/hood) but wheelbase and overall length might be shorter. I'd say no more than 2-3 inches if any.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I would love for those rims, or something similar (even if they weren't 20 inchers) to be available, i bet the Si gets something similar. They really really need to offer the coupe with a wing spoiler, it just completes this car in the back, and it wouldn't even need a brake light since the coupe 3rd brake light is top mounted in the back window, that's some cost saving on it.

As for why they didn't use exactly the same front and rear bumpers, it probably had more to do with wind tunnel testing more than anything. The concept bumpers look nice, but probably didn't hit anywhere near honda's targets for drag efficiency, which can hurt both fuel mileage and performance. I'd rather have a better performing for efficient car than concept bumpers. Also, i'm sure it won't be long before there are aftermarket kits that mirror the concept bits.

The only other thing i notice about the two in terms of proportions is the rear overhang is a bit longer on the production model, as well as the trunk extending past the tail lights a bit more. Other than that proportions are spot on, and once we see in in hi res pictures cleaned up and sparkly i'm sure it'll put to rest many of the fears we have about it's appearance in these shots. Just as other members and myself have mentioned, remember the crappy shots of the sedan and how worried everyone was, until we finally saw it debut looking as great as it does.

I wonder how much shorter than the sedan the coupe will be. Most likely it'll keep the width of the sedan (because it shares the entire front nose/hood) but wheelbase and overall length might be shorter. I'd say no more than 2-3 inches if any.
Yea I love the style of those rims. 18 inches would be awesome.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wish the concept would have made it 100%. When I look at the track civic and concept. I like the concept way better. Maybe the Si will get the same agressive bumpers. ;)

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Yesterday when I first saw this car I was very unhappy. But today I am a little more positive about it. We can always add a spoiler and nicer rims and the car itself did retain the overall look of the concept. And who knows rim choices may actually be different then the sedan which would definitely make a lot sportier.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
That's what I noticed too - the rear bumper, especially the lower part of it, sticks out more than the concept car. So the rear profile of the concept appears tighter. Probably had to be changed for production because of crash safety requirements.

I think the car already looks pretty good in the grainy spy pics especially with the wheels and spoiler. I mean it's really not fair to compare it with glossy pics of a concept model. But natural to do since its basically the same color too.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Hey let's be positive that they bring three :thumbsup:cars to la a red with accessories. A white touring and a blue Ext. Feeling patriotic ha

Emina

Threads
Reaction score
I'm really hoping Honda offers a more aggressive spoiler for the coupe. Something like the concept's but toned down 25%. The two spoilers we've seen so far look good on the sedan's rear deck but the coupe's bulgier back end looks like it needs a larger spoiler to offset the bulk. Maybe I'm just used to seeing it on the concept but I think it looks off without it.

9thgenidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Civic LX 2DR
Really, really hoping they change at least the front bumper.. looks like a banana. I can't see how it would be so hard to use the concept's front bumper. Side mirrors, exhaust, sure, understood. But the front bumper is the most noticeable part of the concept's aggressive look. Now it just looks like they revamped the 2012 coupe's taillights and re-launched as the 10th gen.

Not impressed unless they change that bumper. Grr, had such high hopes for these past 6 months!! :banghead:

Looks like I'll be holding onto my 2012 until 2017 when they'll likely change it.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really, really hoping they change at least the front bumper.. looks like a banana. I can't see how it would be so hard to use the concept's front bumper. Side mirrors, exhaust, sure, understood. But the front bumper is the most noticeable part of the concept's aggressive look. Now it just looks like they revamped the 2012 coupe's taillights and re-launched as the 10th gen.

Not impressed unless they change that bumper. Grr, had such high hopes for these past 6 months!! :banghead: Looks like I'll be holding onto my 2012 until 2017 when they'll likely change it.
Just a heads up... any changes to the bumper would be the mid model change which won't be until around end of 2018 as the 2019 model year. So you'll have a while to wait.

I've mentioned it before, the changes that were done to the bumpers (front and back) from concept to production are based on production cost and more importantly, aerodynamics. While the concept bumpers might have looked more agressive and sporty, they probably didn't fair very well in the wind tunnel which hurts performance and fuel efficiency. Anything not justified by the wind tunnel can be finished up with production cost, because lets face it, it's still a civic and considering brand new the price only rose a hundred bucks over the previous generation, they've made this car worth driving again and class leading in most areas.

Idk about you, or anyone else for this matter, but a bumper isn't going to stop me from getting rid of my ho hum 9th gen and upgrading to a car that looks better, drives better, is more efficient, has more tech, more refinement and is literally leaps and bounds better in every way. But to each his own...
Sponsored