What happened to the JDM Honda tuners ?

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Just curious what happened to some of the JDM Honda tuners from back in the 90s / early 2000s. Back in the day - I had Integra GSR (1996) with some of the best JDM parts (Toda, JUN, Spoon, and Mugen). It seems most of these tuners are still stuck in the 90s with the B18 and B16 engines. Only Spoon seems to have some product support for the FK8. Toda and JUN are not relevant anymore. And Mugen ... well ... their FK8 concept car is just "stupid".

I left the JDM scene in 2004 (when I sold my Integra GSR) and recently came back with the CTR. I just miss those JDM companies. They made some amazing Honda products back then. Just seems there's no JDM support for the FK8. Thoughts?
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you list some of the products that you’re missing from Toda or JUN today for the CTR? Maybe some members here can find a source for them.

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Can you list some of the products that you’re missing from Toda or JUN today for the CTR? Maybe some members here can find a source for them.
Granted those cars were n/a ...

But I had Toda / JUN valve train with camshafts, valve springs, Ti retainers, cam gears, header, clutch / flywheel.

Those companies even made stroker kits (pistons, rods), suspension pieces.

I totally understand Honda is now FI - but still ... the top JDM companies are MIA with the FK8. Don't understand. There is more product development with American companies than JDM.

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Granted those cars were n/a ...

But I had Toda / JUN valve train with camshafts, valve springs, Ti retainers, cam gears, header, clutch / flywheel.

Those companies even made stroker kits (pistons, rods), suspension pieces.

I totally understand Honda is now FI - but still ... the top JDM companies are MIA with the FK8. Don't understand. There is more product development with American companies than JDM.
I had a built B18 with Toda cams and valve springs too, man I miss those days of working on B-series motors. I don't know the answer to your question either, it's really weird. To me, this is probably a big reason I don't feel like today's Hondas have the same feel to me as the old ones. :(

I miss these
Honda Civic 10th gen What happened to the JDM Honda tuners ? tumblr_oviza0VAr91qj4vmjo1_500

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I had a built B18 with Toda cams and valve springs too, man I miss those days of working on B-series motors. I don't know the answer to your question either, it's really weird. To me, this is probably a big reason I don't feel like today's Hondas have the same feel to me as the old ones. :(

I miss these
tumblr_oviza0VAr91qj4vmjo1_500.jpg
That's exactly how I feel and miss those days. I don't recall seeing any JDM tuner shops displaying / racing a FK8.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
Probably has to do with the CTR manufacture in Swindon instead of the homeland.

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
mugen ctr is purely ashame
Yes. I agree. Sad.

I remember Mugen products for the DC2 ITR. The Mugen headers ... oh my ... the twin loop exhaust !!! And the Intake box. Some of the best products for the ITR. Now Mugen turned the CTR into a clown car.

I'm holding out on performance products hoping that the JDM big boys will start doing product development for the FK8. I really really want a Toda exhaust. haha. Wishful thinking.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think because the market is oversaturated now. because with turbo cars it's like a standard intake tune exhaust

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes. I agree. Sad.

I remember Mugen products for the DC2 ITR. The Mugen headers ... oh my ... the twin loop exhaust !!! And the Intake box. Some of the best products for the ITR. Now Mugen turned the CTR into a clown car.

I'm holding out on performance products hoping that the JDM big boys will start doing product development for the FK8. I really really want a Toda exhaust. haha. Wishful thinking.
Yes. I agree. Sad.

Yea. My friend used to run a import business importing all those jdmcar parts and make a decent living... but somehow those Jim big boy slowing down.. mugen is a joke.. my 5yrs daughter can come up with better idea than them...

I am going with domestic brand now, aFe , PRL, ARK.. only jdm I have is HKS intercooler..
I really want to HKS my R, from ic to intake to catback... but domestic guy is doing a great job so far... I am highly excited with new PRL intake.. I think it wil out perform HKS intake. For exhaust, HKS legamax and spec L are both good , no drone but way too soft and quiet.

turboR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #18775 / 2002 NB Miata (track car)
Country flag
I could not agree more on this subject...as much as I love HKS I would not put their intake on my CTR...that filter is garbage and the new PRL one is designed so much better. I do love my HKS Spec-L exhaust, and at least the other HKS products for the FK8 such as the DP, IC, and Oil Cooler are top quality and I would have no problem putting them on one day. The USA companies now spend a lot of time on R&D and usually provide the best results. PRL is comparable to ETS from the Evo world...I traded my Evo X for the CTR and could not be happer :)